• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

New exhaust system

crashkimball

First snow has fallen here in Fairbanks, AK and the Mustang is settled in my shop for the winter. It's time for a new exhaust system. Last winter I rebuilt the engine and added a dyno matched Edelbrock set of heads, cam, and intake manifold and switched over to an MSD electronic ignition. Installed a Painless chassis wiring harness and all new Autometer gauges mounted in the original gauge bezel as well. I ran out of time and money for the exhaust so I ran with the stock manifold and at least one glass pack that is blown out through the summer. I am looking for recommendations for a good tri-y header that will fit with minimal modification and your favorite muffler for a CS. I also changed the C4 out for a 5-speed T5. I have power steering as well and know that I will probably need a drop down bracket for the steering arm. Check out http://mikesr.dcsol.com/mustang.html to see my Mustang restoration.

franklinair

I like the Hi-Po exhaust manifolds over headers. 'H' pipe into FlowMaster mufflers is a nice setup. Add the GT valance with GT tips.

Neil

rvrtrash

I have Thorley Tri-Y's, an H pipe, and knockoff's of Flowmasters. I love it.

Steve

68 special

Steve, What size tubes did you use? I was toying with the idea of going with 2 1/2". I have bought the flowmaster knockoffs and I have Hedman headers.

Bret

robert campbell

I have these on my car. No fit problems.

http://products.jbaheaders.com/detail_shortyV.asp?id=1650S

Stan Johnson in the Seattle area is known for some of the best fitting headers on the market. Link below. Not cheap

http://www.fordpowertrain.com/FPAindex/FPA index1.htm

I have hooker super comps on my 67. Nice performance header, (1-5/8 tubes) but hang way to low for my taste. From that aspect, I hate them. My car is way low and I drag them everwhere. soon I will destroy them and get new ones. Need to drop the power steering ram for these.

I am looking for the best long tube header to fit my 68 and not drop the ram. flaming river has some new ones that I have not looked at.

Used to have a cheap set of "Blackjack" headers that were 1-1/2 tubes and they tucked up real nice. They were to small for the exhaust side porting on my 67 heads. The tuned inward towards the areas in the frame that the stock exhaust was routed and fit the H-pipe perfectly. It apears that Dynomax bought them out. Below is a link and they are cheap. Need to lower the ram. Not sure if they fit like my old ones or not.

http://store.summitracing.com/partd...799365+4294840126+4294895343+115&autoview=sku

Mustanger

I like the Hi-Po exhaust manifolds over headers. 'H' pipe into FlowMaster mufflers is a nice setup. Add the GT valance with GT tips.

Neil

I second what Neil said, that's the setup I have along with 2.5" tubing, and Stainless Steel Delta-Flow 40 Series Flowmasters ... has the musclecar sound that turns heads :thumb: ...

Timmknz

Looks Good!

Love those green mustangs!
My sister lives at North Pole- keep that baby warm!
T

OP
OP
crashkimball

crashkimball

Good replies everyone. Interesting to see two people liking the HiPo manifolds over headers. From a original look and sound perspective I can understand that but surely headers are the way to go to maximize performance? Or maybe I'm wrong. I'm more interested in low end torque for quick starts and rapid accelleration than top speed so I believe Tri-Ys are better than 4 in 1's. The HiPo manifold is basically a really short 4 in 1. I'm definitely no expert on exhaust systems though.

robert campbell

I went back to your original post. Do you have a set of Edlebrock aluminum heads? What size carb?

If you have the aluminum heads, you should have noticed a large mismatch between your exhaust manifolds and the exhaust ports on your heads. The heads exhaust ports being noticeable larger. If you use the hypo exhaust manifolds, you should part match them to the heads. You can do it yourself with a high speed grinder. The JBA shorties are already large enough for the exhaust ports. But they are a bit spendee in comparison to the hypo exhaust manifolds.

Power is all about tuning. I would submit that the horsepower gains from stock to hypo would be measurable. The difference between the hypo and the JBA shorties would be a bit in the favor of the shorties due to larger passages. I would bet the tri “y’s” would be a bit better than the shorties and the long tubes would be best of all. But tuning is the key and without a dyno near impossible to tell which set up is the best.

There is a fallacy in my mind about long tube headers. People think that they are top end only. There have been many header comparisons tests in magazines and on mildly modified motors long tubes and most results show that long tubes are the best across the board as long as the tube size is a constant. Your motor based on what I have read and experienced would work great with either 1 and ½ or 1 and 5/8 primary tubes and 2 and ½ exhaust. The “blackjack” 1 and ½ headers I mentioned will need some porting work to match the exhaust ports of Edelbrock heads. And there is little to work with. So based on that I would go with 1 and 5/8 primary tubes on any header selection.

Tri “y’s” would be a great choice also. In tests I have read they perform just as well as long tubes down low and only sacrifice minimally at top RPM. And they may fit better!!

You have done enough work to your motor, that if it was mine, I would go to tri “y’s” or long tubes. Find out which one works best with power steering. If you motor had stock heads I would recommend the hypo manifolds. Even a mildly built motor with stock heads work great with the hypo‘s and the shorties. The shorties are a great pick for any motor with bigger exhaust ports and strokers for low end mid range and also sacrifice only a bit above 5,000. If you never plan to go above 5,000 rpm the shorties or the tri “y’s” will work great.

I own a 302 with Elelbrock aluminum heads that I am stepping up to a supercharger on. The JBA shorties (not trying to sell them to you) will be for sale and I will go to long tubes as I want it to be all it can be.

Again, my opinion only based on what I have read and experienced.

Rob

Mustanger

Good replies everyone. Interesting to see two people liking the HiPo manifolds over headers. From a original look and sound perspective I can understand that but surely headers are the way to go to maximize performance? Or maybe I'm wrong. I'm more interested in low end torque for quick starts and rapid accelleration than top speed so I believe Tri-Ys are better than 4 in 1's. The HiPo manifold is basically a really short 4 in 1. I'm definitely no expert on exhaust systems though.

I know that headers are better at achieving hp, but I selected HiPo manifolds for several reasons: a definite performance improvement over factory "log" manifolds, a more "factory/stock" appearance than headers, Shelby used them in '67 (in '68 most GT350's were sporting the factory log manifolds), no issues with fitting/installation (also no P/S drop bracket), cooler engine bay temperatures, no burning of spark plug wires, a little quieter, less maint. (no tightening and re-tightening of header bolts all the time) ... these are some of the benifits of going with the HiPo manifolds ...

robert campbell

I little light port work and the hypo's will be just great!!! Good power and the stock look. The shorties are just as maintenance free as the hypo's. And no fit issues for power steering hoses or the ram. But in the $500 dollar range vice $200 for the hypo's.

Either is a great choice!! Casey put the JBA's on his new 347 stroker and seems to like them for another opinion.

Rob