• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Rocker Panel Molding Clips

case12

When I got my CS some of the rocker panel molding clips were not holding the rocker panel molding (it flapped a bit at the front a back) on both sides. I order new clips and note they are plastic (my '66 uses metal clips). Before I start replacing non-functional clips, any advice on taking the molding off, replacing the bad clips (I assume I can reuse the good clips), and putting it back on? Casey

rvrtrash

I can only tell you about 68, and hopefully it's similar. Inside the front fender is a nut that holds the front of the moulding on. Remove it and then gently pull the moulding off the rest of the way down the car. Mine came off real easy just rocking it back and forth a little while pulling. The clips are rivited to the rocker panel so if you have a drill and a pop rivit gun, you're set.
Steve

nfrntau

I recently removed mine also. The nut on the inside fender is very close to the rear splash shield. The rest were pop rivited clips. I used a gasket scraper and gently pried. They popped off easily. They can't be that expensive. For a trouble free replacement I would replace them all at the same time. Especially if your not 100% sure there A O.K.

PFSlim

Guys

I just want to make sure I understand since we have new fenders on our car. The front SET of clips on the fender are bolted to the fender (not rivited)???

We will be putting ours back on soon. On one side, we have a few of the orignial holes on the rocker. Half of the rocker on this side was replaced. On the other side, the complete rocker was replaced. We ordered new rocker panels which comes with a new set of clips and rivits.

By the way, we had a very nice day yesterday in KC and got the GT/CS out of the garage to stretch her legs alittle. We installed an old seat we had and off we went (without interior, windshield, back glass). Just around the neighborhood but it was good to build confidence that the motor runs good, no leaks, transmission shifts, no leaks, etc. To me, thus far, the best day of the rebuild. Wish I would have had a camera.

The best part was having my 11 year old waving to everyone out the windshield area like a homecoming queen. He is pretty proud of the build!!

Paul

rvrtrash

Paul, the front clips are bolted to the fender and are different than the other clips. You should have received two (one for each side) that have slots in them and captive bolts. If you didn't, I'd contact your vendor and ask where they are. Worst case, I have an extra set, minus bolts, and I will be in Oklahoma City for 3 weeks starting monday. I could bring them and meet you in Tulsa the 16th or there abouts. By the way, I took mine to the upholster to have the headliner put in and drove it without a windshield also, but it was 25 degrees out and I could only go 20 because my eyes were watering and it was hard to take a deep breath. Glad your cruise was more enjoyable.
Steve

nfrntau

The front of the moulding is secured with a bolt and nut. Shown in first picture.
The snap on clips are arranged five per side. Each clip is 12 3/4" apart (give or take an 1/8") and on both sides the clip closest to the rear wheel opening has the top rivet 2 1/2" forward of the opening measured parralel to the floor.
At least on my car.

Attachments

• moulding.jpg
    moulding.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 15