• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Exhaust system recommendations

68P51

It has come time to buy an exhaust system for my car and was wondering if any of you have any recommendations. It has a stock 2001 302 out of an Explorer in it right now and Doug's Tri-Y headers. They have a 2.5" collector. Someday I would like to build a 347 for it, so was thinking about a 2.5" exhaust system.

I was looking at the Precision Exhaust systems online but haven't heard about them anywhere else and it seems like they make their own mufflers. For some reason all these years I was thinking about Dynomax Turbo Mufflers. That may have been what it had in it years ago when it had a 351w and it sounded good. I looked at the Walker Dynomax site but they don't list any complete systems.

Before anyone recommends Flowmasters I have had a 93 5.0 and do not want Flowmasters on this car.

Any advice?

Thanks

robert campbell

Below is a link to the Summit Racing offerings. The MagnaFlow system has gotten a lot of good ink, and it is 2.5 diameter. I have not heard one personally. Do you have a valance with exhaust cut outs? I take it that you think Flowmasters are to loud? The 2 chamber ones are loud, but they have quieter versions.

If your thoughts are for a 347 later, I think you should go at least 2.25 or better yet 2.5 for that deep sound.

Rob

http://www.summitracing.com/search/...4294918863&SortBy=Default&SortOrder=Ascending

BigJim

Exhaust systems preferences are like butt holes, everyone has one. You really need to go to some cruises and shows and listen to other cars. When you hear one you like ask the owner what he has. Keep in mind different engines coupled to the same exhaust system will sound different.

robert campbell

Back in my bracket racing days the loudest domestic V8 engines always seemed to be the 289 and 302. Port angles, exhaust valve diameter, and whatever! I was running a 428 Cobra Jet and next to a 289 you could hardly hear it with both cars and open headers. The big block was a lower sound and the 289 would crackle, cackle and bust your ear drums.

Every engine sounds different with the same basic exhaust package. And the cam shaft makes a huge difference at idle as we all know.

My two Mustangs have the same basic exhaust system with 2 chamber Flowmaster 40 series. Both have the exact same Stan Johnson headers. Val's 13 to 1 solid roller 289 screams when compared to my GNS's 10 to 1 hydraulic roller 302 with the blower.

Hmmmm, maybe the fact that Val's routinely sees 7,500 RPM vice the max 6,000 rpm on the blower motor might be the reason......

Rob

OP
OP

68P51

Thanks for the Summit link. Looked through there and still not sure, wiill have to look more when I have more time later. Yes I have the rear valance with the quad tip exits. I think the quad tips only come in 2.25 so will either have to go down from 2.5 at the back or just get a 2.25 system. Still not sure what to do and am barely having time to research with all my commitments, don't have time to go hang out at car shows right now. Have been to a lot of car shows and almost all the cars sound good, too many variables with the cam compression, etc. I'm more looking for a good quality system that will almost bolt in and not be too loud. Will look more at the Magnaflows.