• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 What tires do you use on your GT-CS?

J.Bart

i personally like the cooper cobra's, they are a little narrower that the bfg's in the same tire size

Midnight Special

Neil I love that wheel tire combo. I will go that way some day when I quit showing the HCS in the concours class.
Does anyone know where to find good used or NOS trim rings
Thanks Marty

Hey Marty, I'm pretty sure these are original. They came with a CS I acquired four years ago and I won't use them.

If you and Neil can ascertain they are the real deal, PM me an address and I will ship them to you. They do have some nicks & dings, so I don't want any $$.

Attachments

• IM002638.JPG
    IM002638.JPG
    103 KB · Views: 17
  • IM002639.JPG
    IM002639.JPG
    100.8 KB · Views: 14
OP
OP
R

Ruppstang

Thanks Tim,
I think the correct C8----- trim rings have another grove around the out side and as Neil mentioned the inside is burnished. I'll attach a picture of a NOS one that I got for the fastback in 94. May be I can look at yours when I am in CA. next year. Any excuse to come by and see you guys and the cars. Marty

Attachments

• 68 Fastback 001.jpg
    68 Fastback 001.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 22

Midnight Special

Thanks Tim,
I think the correct C8----- trim rings have another grove around the out side and as Neil mentioned the inside is burnished. I'll attach a picture of a NOS one that I got for the fastback in 94. May be I can look at yours when I am in CA. next year. Any excuse to come by and see you guys and the cars. Marty

...Interesting. The ones I have on my HCS are more like the one you show, but has a shiny chrome finish. Indeed - feel free to come by anytime!

Do the original rings have a stamp or other identifying marks?

OP
OP
R

Ruppstang

If you are going Concours, depending on which division you choose, Radials may get point deductions.

As far as Coker versus Diamond Back, I have never used Diamond Back brand, but have been using Coker tires for over 10 years and have never had a problem with them.

I just recently bought a new set for my '67, and found Summit and Jegs cheaper for the Coker tires. Summit came out a bit cheaper since their shipping was less than Jegs.

Bottom line, Summit was $35.00 a tire cheaper with shipping then buying the same tires directly from Coker.

Only the concours trailered class woud get deductions, radials are ok in the concours driven class. Thanks for the tip on Summit pricing. Marty

jc68gtcs

I'm running Firestone Firehawk Indy 500's on the standard GT Rims w/rings. 215 70 R14's with the raised whites out. Looks and drives well..

OP
OP
R

Ruppstang

...Interesting. The ones I have on my HCS are more like the one you show, but has a shiny chrome finish. Indeed - feel free to come by anytime!

Do the original rings have a stamp or other identifying marks?

The all shiny chrome rings were 69's I have never found any identifying marks, I am not sure but I think the NOS set I bought in 94 may have had paper tags that went away the first time they got wet. Marty

Scott

Went ahead with a set of FIRESTONE FIREHAWK TZ100s 215/65/14 last week. These are sold through bridgestone in Australia.

Grip is great - especially in the wet there is miles more than my old yoko 352s. Only drawback is while I used to plant it and make smoke and a glorious noise, now I plant it and it makes an unpleasant howl, flicks plastic dags all over the guards and takes off heaps quicker than it used too. Suppose it will help me grow up if burnouts are less pleasurable and the handling improved.

robert campbell

Got the American version of the Firehawks on my cars. They burn up just fine!!! Rubber everywhere!! Yup, just what I like!!

Rob

Mosesatm

Got the American version of the Firehawks on my cars. They burn up just fine!!! Rubber everywhere!! Yup, just what I like!!

Rob

What is the American version?

I like to buy American whenever I can, hence the Coopers on the other car.