• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

step back into 68'

BrandonB

Back in 1968 did the cars have to warm up then? Cus now a days we have to let them warm for about 15 min. or atleast I do and so does my 2 other friends one with a 68' and the other has a 66' did they start up and run fine back in those days? if so how come we gotta warm ours up now? Just wondering

darb

My car starts up great, and I can take off right away. I'm not an expert - but my car does idle a bit faster when it is cold, to warm up faster. Once it's warmed up, I can tap the gas and it's idle drops down.

Although, I just start it up and take off - the idle kicks down automatically later.

Not sure on an answer though.

-Brad

-=MUSTANG=-

Old engines needed to warm up because oils were thicker back then. Older engines had thicker oils due to larger tolerances used in the manufacturing of the engine. Todays computer controlled machining allows for the mass production of tighter tolerances and the use of thinner and synthetic oils which, depending on the season, really don't require a 'warming up'. I believe that manufacturers recommend a warm up period so the catalytic converter has time to heat up and all of their emission specs are met while the car is in operation. It is also prudent to warm up an engine in colder climates because an oils ability to flow is reduced when the mercury drops. Here in Michigan I let my Explorer run for a while in the winter, I use Mobil1 5W-30 and still give it time to heat up. In the summer, I just start the cars and go, I have a 2000 Mustang GT, also a Mobil1 5W-30 engine, and when it is 90 out, ain't no need to warm up (or time!!). When my Cal Spec is done and I'm running 10W-40, even in the summer I will let it run for a few minutes.

Carburators also like a warm engine so they aren't running on the fast idle cam. After they warm up a bit they run on the regular choke operation, my caburator knowledge is a little rusty so if there are any carb experts out there please correct me on this last bit.

OP
OP
B

BrandonB

We'll what I meant was when i start my CS up if I try to just take off she'll die on me...they didnt do that back then?

darb

That may be a bit more of a problem than just warming up. I'm not sure what the climate is where you live, but if the car has been sitting out in below 50 degree temperatures or so - that would be pretty common.

Although, it is summer - and your car may be having some problems. Can you give me anymore details as to what happens? Does it run fine once it is warm?

When it runs cold, does it seem to sputter - die often, and you sort of need to hold the gas and brake to keep the engine running?

When you shut it off...does the engine seem to keep turning over, despite the fact the ignition is in the off position?

I've seen another vehicle that's got the same problem, and once its warmed up it runs fine...but it's not a good thing.

-Brad

OP
OP
B

BrandonB

Does it run fine once it is warm? yes.

When it runs cold, does it seem to sputter - die often, and you sort of need to hold the gas and brake to keep the engine running? yes.

What I think you're asking is--did the cars--when they were new, have to warm up as long as today. Well, yes and no. We had a '62 Falcon wagon, and then a '69 (390) LTD (both bought new), and I remember as a kid that they had to warm up. The Falcon even had a choke knob on the dash!!

The Mustangs (and simular type cars) had those automatic chokes--and this thing called a "anti-stall dashpot", which was this thing to keep the idle high until it was warm.

As not all the original equipment is on these same cars today (complex air cleaner with flap in the snorkle, the dashpot and auto choke, etc.) and they need to get going a little longer.

If you have all the same original stuff--then every time, it's like 1968!!

OP
OP
B

BrandonB

Thanks for solving my delima and question thats cool I was raking my mind trying to figure it out. thanks guys!