• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Neil's Highland Green CS

Ruppstang

Looking good Neil. I have had to cut them too you are right not fun. Hope you can get to the MCA grand national. Marty

OP
OP
franklinair

franklinair

Progress Report:Floor boards are done. Treated remaining metal, Mig'd new floor panels, sealed with 'Brushable seam sealer', painted, installed floorboard sound insulation.
Today I dyed the headliner. The PO had installed a new headliner (Ivy Gold) & new seals (windshield & rear). Since I'm changing back to the original Nugget Gold interior, I opted to dye the headliner instead of tearing everything all apart. Plus the parts suppliers all said the replacement Nugget Gold headliner wasn't really the correct color. I removed the windlacing strips (dyed them too), CAREFULLY masked the window seals, and covered the entire interior. Two cans of Nugget Gold aerosol, and it turned out PERFECT. I found that to get the masking tape (I use 3M blue) to adhere to the rubber window seals, I wiped them with a damp rag of MEK. Works well. Also, the vinyl prep applied before spraying assures a good paint bonding. To be continued :)

Neil

OP
OP
franklinair

franklinair

Today I completed the A/C-Heater control system repairs. Thanks to Dalorzo's photo & description of the A/C Control switch I was able to disassemble & repair it. Now I have the 12V for the compressor clutch.
Checked all 5 of the vacuum actuators, replaced all the vacuum control hoses (they leaked), replaced the leaky seals in the duct systems, applied a vacuum source, and all operations are now OK.
I'm still contemplating changing out the compressor to the new Sanden model & converting the freon to R-134.

Neil

Ruppstang

Neil,
Glad to hear of your progress. I have used the Sanden 134A conversions and it is just the way to go on a driven car. They are so much more efficent. Marty

OP
OP
franklinair

franklinair

Got the dash painted today (back to the original Nugget Gold). Finally ready to start re-assembling the dash. Fixed & reconnected the A/C control switch, re-sealed all the A/C duct joints.
I bought a Scott Drake woodgrain panel for above the glove box: what glue is best to use to attach the woodgrain piece to the panel??

Neil

Mosesatm

Here are some photos of Neil's progress.
It's looking great!

Attachments

• Green GTCS 006.jpg
    Green GTCS 006.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 52
  • Green GTCS 032.jpg
    Green GTCS 032.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 48
  • Green GTCS 048.jpg
    Green GTCS 048.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 48
  • Green GTCS 137.jpg
    Green GTCS 137.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 62
  • Green GTCS 138.jpg
    Green GTCS 138.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 51
OP
OP
franklinair

franklinair

Thanks to Arlie for posting my current photos for me. (Sometimes my computer won't let me upload them):embarass:
The interior work is progressing. All the in-dash A/C is working fine: sealed all of the A/C ducting, repaired A/C Control switch, all vacuum actuators checked out, new vacuum control lines. Just recieved the Sanden A/C compressor and condensor + refrigrent lines from ClassicAir.
Installed a Retrogauge tach in place of the clock. Perfect fit.
Installed new flashers & Turn signal switch, rewired Foglight switch. Now all exterior lights are OK.
New carpet installation is progressing. The rear carpet fit perfectly- the front, not so nice. It requires a LOT of fitting & trimming. Unfortunately, the only replacement carpet on the market (that I know of) comes from ACC, and its not the same quality that they used to produce.
Don't know if I mentioned it before- I had the seats reupholstered, and the 2 bucket seats didn't turn out to my satisfaction, so I ordered new upholstery and new seat cushions, and I'm going to do them myself. Haven't done that job in 20 or 30 years- hope it will all come back to me:icon_pani

Neil

OP
OP
franklinair

franklinair

Dash is now 99% done, console is installed (with AM/FM radio thanks to Marty). Carpet is completed (had to get 2nd set).

Neil

Attachments

• Green GTCS 140.jpg
    Green GTCS 140.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 59
  • Green GTCS 141.jpg
    Green GTCS 141.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 54
  • Green GTCS 143.jpg
    Green GTCS 143.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 56
  • Green GTCS 142.jpg
    Green GTCS 142.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 47
Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
franklinair

franklinair

Almost done with the interior. Seatbelts & seats installed. Deluxe door panels are next.

Neil

Attachments

• My Pictures 114.jpg
    My Pictures 114.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 66
  • My Pictures 115.jpg
    My Pictures 115.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 73
  • My Pictures 116.jpg
    My Pictures 116.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 64
  • My Pictures 117.jpg
    My Pictures 117.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 61
  • My Pictures 123.jpg
    My Pictures 123.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 80
Last edited by a moderator:

miller511

Looks really nice Neil. Where'd you get the gt/cs emblem for the dash? It adds a nice touch.

OP
OP
franklinair

franklinair

Luis;
Send it to me, buy the parts/materials, and I WILL do it.
Jeff;
The dash emblem was made by a friend.

Neil

68 special

Papa Neil, That looks outstanding. Where's the horn ring? I'd be lost without mine, too many stupid people on the road. Keep up the good work.

Bret

OP
OP
franklinair

franklinair

Bret;
I just have the steering wheel temporarily mounted, to move around the shop area.
(Sometimes these pesky airplanes needing work get in the way):rolleyes:

Neil