• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Tach Prices

PFSlim

Brian B is right. If you want a tach, and you want it to look like the rest of your guages, and you don't want to spend the big bucks, and you don't have the optional clock, this is way cool. We love ours. I can provide pics is someone likes.

Paul

PFSlim

I will attempt to post some pics here. First for instructions:

1. I ordered the tach from ebay. It is a 76 or so Jeep CJ tach. I don't think we paid more than $50.00 for it, if memory serves.

2. Once you get the tach, you have to separate the front plastic cover from the tach. Do this by using a flathead screwdriver and pair of needle nose.

3. The next step is to take the instrument panel apart. I just removed the bezel and covered the guages.

4. Take a air grinder (dremmel tool works but takes a long time) with stone attachments and start grinding the top of the hole where the clock goes. It does not take much, but some. Grind some on the two sides as well, test fitting at you go. The tach will go in front to back and should fit snug.

5. Once installed, follow the instructions provided with the Jeep tach to wire up. Very simple to wire. Don't use the light wire as you will use the dash lights instead to illuminate the tach.

Put the dash back together and that is it.

Paul

Attachments

• Stang438a.JPG
    Stang438a.JPG
    60 KB · Views: 13

meadowsdk28

[quote author=Jayscal link=board=1;threadid=1859;start=0#msg12274 date=1120709608]
Hey Paul...
Have you pegged that tach yet? ;)
[/quote]

Yeah, no kidding, but that is freaking genius. I've got to do that. I was way too close to mounting a hood tach I purchased a few years ago from Branda. Just didn't have the huevos to drill a hole in my hood. This is a great idea.

Anyone want to buy a hood tach?

nfrntau

Thanks Paul,
Great call, What a difference!
On my tach it turned out to be a 2 3/4" hole I needed to cut. I used a drawing program, made a template and then set the tach in it to make sure it fit there. I then used that template to draw a pattern on the dash piece.
I followed your advise and went VERY carefully so as not to remove too much material. I didn't have an air grinder so ended up using a fine tooth half round file. It was a very simple swap and I think it looks great.
Bill

PFSlim

Nice job. You will like it even better when you see those rpm's go up on the tach. Also, it looks really nice with the instrument lights on.

Best of luck.

Paul