• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Is this used for anything?

nfrntau

I am getting ready to install my rear seat divider (black piece) and couln't remember if these tabs (arrow) were needed for anything. There are about four of them on the forward facing panel at the leading edge of the package tray support.
Thanks

Attachments

• DSCF2943.jpg
    DSCF2943.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 10

case12

Yes, you hang the carboard divider on them. There should be some at the top and on the sides. The divider will have slots that are in the same places. You still need to cut holes for the seat belt bolts at the bottom. Casey

bbeatty

And sometimes they can get bent out straight and then they are used to cut your arms/legs several times when restoring the interior before getting severely beaten with a BFH! :eek:

Bet you can figure out how I know this! ;D

OP
OP
nfrntau

nfrntau

Thanks everybody,
I'm going in with a steel divider that will cover up these tabs. I just wanted to make sure what these were for before I created a problem by covering them up. Sounds like I should be in the clear.
I seem to be pretty good at that some times. ;D
Cheers Bill

68gt390

Bill;
Find below a reply I posted sometime ago in another thread that talked about the fire barrier and your car being concourse.

Arlie;
When looking into the trunk from the rear of the car the only thing you should see is the cardboard backing and not the jute material on the back of the seat frame.

Another thing to consider: If your car is concourse you will have to do the following in order to use the steel barrier. Install the cardboard backing first over the 4 tabs that casey explained earlier. Then in order to get the steel barrier to fit flush you must lightly tap the 4 tabs with a hammer and press them into the cardboard backing then install the steel barrier over that. This way when the judge looks into your trunk from the rear all they will see is the cardboard backing. Be careful not to press the tabs through the backside of the cardboard backing (use the hammer at the base of the tab with an upward motion). Since my cars are not concourse I didn't worry about this particular item. I just pressed the tabs all the way flush. Also, remember after installing the screws or bolts which ever you use (do not use long bolts or sheet metal screws) short is the key here, cover them with body color paint to match the inside of your trunk. I covered mine with black since that is the color of my trunk area. The judges may pick-up on the screws/bolts protruding through the back seat frame but, they will have to have a sharp eye. Not many of the concourse judges have run across the use of the steel barrier and by covering them with body color paint they may not even see it. they would have to really lean way inside of the trunk to see them. Since I judge street driven and daily driven class, this is one item we don't worry about. Last but, not least, make sure any barrier kit you purchase comes with a tube of clear silicone. This is used around the frame of the car to keep the barrier stable and not create any squeeks from the barrier flexing while the car is moving. Hope this helps.

Don

PFSlim

[quote author=bbeatty link=board=1;threadid=1931;start=0#msg12838 date=1122325162]
And sometimes they can get bent out straight and then they are used to cut your arms/legs several times when restoring the interior before getting severely beaten with a BFH! :eek:

Bet you can figure out how I know this! ;D
[/quote]

Brian B. - I hear what you are saying. Still got the scar to prove it. By the way, how big is that hammer??? ;D

Paul

bbeatty

[quote author=PFSlim link=board=1;threadid=1931;start=0#msg12869 date=1122414037]

Brian B. - I hear what you are saying. Still got the scar to prove it. By the way, how big is that hammer??? ;D

Paul
[/quote]

Isn’t funny how we can blame an inanimate object for our own mistakes sometimes? I stuck me knee on one of tabs and then I started cursing and yelling at that stupid $##@* piece of metal like I was trying to make it feel bad. Realizing that wasn’t going to do any good, I picked up a hammer and whacked it so hard I actually broke lose a spot weld. Oh, well, it deserved to be mashed! :mad:

And yes, I did feel better after that! ;D ;)

OP
OP
nfrntau

nfrntau

Every shop needs a BFH in it. I bought a new one just for this project. OK I admit it, I've bought more than one new tool for this project. Use it once and your justified in having it right?

Oh, and I also bought a box of pain killers. That would be bandaides to those of you who don't have small kids anymore. It's amazing how one of those will make the pain go away. We get hurt, yell @!#%^&$. My kids get hurt and yell "I NEED A BANDAIDE!!"