• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Shelby project or GT/CS S-code What to buy?

classicsguy

I might be asking this one in the wrong forum but I am deciding into buying one of these 2 cars. The 1968 GT/CS is an S-code 4-speed car. The only thing that needs is a new paint job.
The other is a 1968 Shelby GT-350 project car. The car is an original Shelby with no engine or transmission but rust free and some interior and fiberglass missing.
This is atough decision since the GT/CS is a big block and very few were made and the other one is a SHELBY. It originally came as a 4-speed and a/c car.
Please let me know your honest opinion if you were the one that has to choose. I can only purchase one and the prices are very similar.
Waiting for good advice from this forum

-=MUSTANG=-

Tough call. My friend just bought a 68 GT350, all original. It is an older restoration with full documentation. It doesn't have the original engine in it but he did get the engine with the car. He paid 32,500. I don't know if you could get that for a non numbers matching car. As much as I love my GT/CS I say SHELBY. Even though the correct restoration will cost you plenty, based on todays values it should be the better investment.

darb

I would go with the Shelby, it should prove a better investment. Although, the non numbers matching, and they money you will have to put into it may decrease your profit margine if that is what you are looking for.

Otherwise, the Shelby will be a great car.

I think it depends on how much money you are willing to part with. If you have the money to spend you should go with the Shelby. Either way you will have a very sharp car. Good luck.

Jayscal

In my honest opinion, I would buy the GT/CS. Shelby cars are rare, but a big block 4 speed C/S is a rarity also. With the GT/CS, you could have it painted and detailed and be driving it to the car shows this year and enjoying it. It all comes down to how soon you would like to be reaping the harvest of the money you spent. A major Shelby resto, could be years away from being finished, and you could end up selling before completion because of lack of interest (it does happen).

Just my 2 cents

C-guy,

As a s-code 4 sp owner, it comes down to bang for the bucks. Truely feel as much as I would part with a left nut for a shelby, our CS's give us full value in return for our modest investments.

Cost of shelby ownership (insurance and parts) is extremely high, but maybe you could save alittle on miles per gallon. I respectfully say my 390 is a pig, coarse if I drove the speed limit it would help, nah.

Why have 4 gears and not use them.

All depends on budget

If price is no concern comes down to the want or need of being special or in a special group.

Best of luck, I 'm sure half the male population in the country would like to have your problem.

P.S May be you should ask the wife, she's the only one that will question your choice, year after year.

[quote author=classicsguy

link=board=1;threadid=501;start=0#msg2690 date=1058143522]
I might be asking this one in the wrong forum but I am deciding into buying one of these 2 cars. The 1968 GT/CS is an S-code 4-speed car. The only thing that needs is a new paint job.
The other is a 1968 Shelby GT-350 project car. The car is an original Shelby with no engine or transmission but rust free and some interior and fiberglass missing.
This is atough decision since the GT/CS is a big block and very few were made and the other one is a SHELBY. It originally came as a 4-speed and a/c car.
Please let me know your honest opinion if you were the one that has to choose. I can only purchase one and the prices are very similar.
Waiting for good advice from this forum

rjw

I believe that I would take the purchase price plus the cost to complete on each car and compare it to an estimated value for each to determine if one shows to be the better choice. That is assuming that either option is within your budget or will be (if you wanted to spend more of your budget now on the acquisition of the Shelby and restore it later). I agree it seems to be a tough choice...why not do both!
Richard

On another note, ask yourself what you would really feel better driving. If you're driving by a (mirrored) glass storefront, and you see yourself, which car would you like to see yourself in?

Nothing like a big block. A four-speed with it is a very rare thing these days. Lots of bragging rights to that. When you're slammed into the seat in second gear at 45mph, you'll know how fun it is. You see Hondas in your mirror all day long.

You have to also know that the SAAC folks are good people, and the GT/CS people are just as friendly, if not more (but then again, I'm biased).

Go with your heart.

Paul.

I have this car at my store and I can count on one hand
how many big block 4 speed cars of the quality I have seen
in the last 2 years. This car is very nice and the paint is
beautiful. The fact is the top condition cars that go for hi dollars.
It is a great car to invest in. And is a car that is climbing
the price scale.....

Thanks
Tim Mills
206-390-4098

kevin

Banned
I would definately go with the shelby. The shelby as a basketcase is worth more than a restored GT/CS. You can always get a GT/CS anyday, but Shelbys are hard to come by and rare. Just be sure to verify whatever cars authenticity that you choose. Good luck.

Drone

Well, I think the Shelby is a really sweet car. But, in my limited experience, I think I would choose the CS. Not only would the FE big block be cool, but if it only needs minor body work and paint, you would be on the road in no time. My step-dad's '69 Mach1 has been sitting untouched (mostly) for 12 years!!! We have all the parts, original panels, 3 351 windsors (two are the '69 4 barrels) interior, seats, and just about everything else to do the project, yet he hasn't put the time into just doing it. (although addmittedly he has helped me out with my 72 and 66). I suppose if you are working with a fairly large budget or not doing all hte work yourself, then the Shelby (which Id love to own) would be a viable option. I think htat other guy had good advice too- ask your wife.