• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Clone/Tribute Question: Green Hornet & Little Red...

pippin

Since Paul asked about the 'value' of the GT/CS cars, I wondered if anyone here has made or was considering making a Tribute Green Hornet or Little Red out of a 'well used' GT/CS considering the recent notoriety these two cars car getting?

I Know, I Know! Though stones or tomatoes at me for even suggesting this... but... but lets face it some GT/CS cars are FAR from original, and i must say both the Green Hornet (even has IRS!) and the Little Red are very hansom cars. And if done well, what value might these have vs converting some ratty six cylinder standard mustang coupe...

Not an easy question, but I think a legitimate one since most of the glass shelby front end is bolt on and i KNOW some members already have the 67 shelby style 'glass hoods already.

@Holmes

If your going to convert I don't think you can go wrong with a 428Cj with or with out the Shelby extras. But why stop there? A 428 is gona cost ya 11 why not get a 427 stroked to a 485 with duel high rise for 18? Your car is an auto right? install a C6 or beef up the C4 and rear with a 3.5 detroit locker. Hold on! Done right its a 45k car.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford...ryZ33615QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Last edited:
P

PNewitt

Hmmm...lemme see....stones or tomatoes??

Well...hey, DUCK!!! LOL!!

The purists would have a problem with you doing that, only because there are fewer and fewer of these cars around, and a standard '68 coupe would work fine. Too bad Dynacorn doesn't make a coupe.

There is a Little Red clone being finished in Sacramento, and I've photographed it. Pretty neat to see something "for real" like that, after only seeing it for many years in photos.

There would be SO MUCH WORK to making one of those prototypes...but it could be done. It's just up to the builder to decide if they wish to go all the way, or stop, and then go "personal' on the customizing. I feel that either car should have an FE motor of some type, and not like a 460, etc... I'd like to see a 428 with a Paxton for once, and see what it would do (BTW-where would I find a FE/Paxton blower bracket?).

The Green Hornet had a custom built IRS, that Martin Euler, in Michigan made. With that rear end, you can NOT fishtail that car around a corner while punching the gas pedal on that Fuelie 428CJ.

It's interesting....and worth a look.

Paul N.

johnsgottwo

Purely correct correctness, corrected with purity

Ya know, here's what I think is an interesting twist. By all accounts the original Green Hornet (unlike the earlier Little Red) was in fact built from a factory GT/CS. Therefore, the "purest" way to re-create this car would be to start with a GT/CS, not a standard coupe. Similarly, building a GT/CS into a Hornet clone would be true to the heritage of both the Green Hornet and the GT/CS in general. Technically, it could be argued that a GT/CS built into a Hornet clone is more correct than one "restored" to an engine/option combo that was never built by the factory (i.e. a 428 without power steering, etc).

Just some food for thought.

OP
OP
pippin

pippin

Good perspectives! Another Novice Mustang Question here...:

As always, great responses!

I have another question: I need a new hood and RH fender and headlight bucket, may as well get a valiance and rock guard also... and i may replace my fiberglass in the rear... assuming i stay stock, what is the best place to get steel body parts and where should i order the glass from get the glass from?

Are any of the -re-pops any good or should i spend the extra for Ford Tooling (assuming i do not go 68 Shelby parts, LOL!)

OP
OP
pippin

pippin

Best place for stock scoops and other fiberglass? (and more, sorry for long pst)

Where do people like to shop for Fiberglass parts?

I thought the stock scoops mount with two or three small studs welded to the car at the back of the scoop and two screws in the front, but im seeing only scoops with the Shelby large center stud with a bolt/nut... or is that correct? Mine are missing and the fenders have bondo gooped on

I already have a stroked 390 GT FE (416) for starters, with a 235* at 0.050 solid lift cam, CJ spec ported heads and crank, forged pistons... etc all built and ready (no 2x4 yet though.) (oh and it did not cost 11 either, join FordFE.com and you will get a lot of $$$ saving tips for big blocks!) I just need a CJ or Shelby/Pond block some time in the future, LOL!

There are a couple of things about the official Green Hornet that don't suit me personally, 1) I don't want to install an F350 C-6, and besides I have a 68 Mustang TL already in anticipation of such a project, 2) The stock steering wheel in 68 looks like a Buick, so i would use a wood Shelby wheel. 3) There are some nice bolt on IRS kits out there which could always be an addition later, to keep it in the spirit of the original. 4) For safety i want a Lakewood housing, not a stock one!

I would love to find a Tilt Wheel though! I have long legs and the stock wheel is hard for me to get in and out of the car. Any ideas on finding one of those?

The only chassis modification needed that is not stock to the original GT/CS are sub frame connectors. And then there is the FE/big block gussets around the front shock towers. I have herd these are available after-market, but have not found them yet, any ideas?

Also, I'm not set at to performing the Shelby relocation for the front a-arms, now that i know Total Control offers a dropped upper mount which does the same things, but with stock mustang mounting holes!

and I would want GT springs of course, but thats hardly a modification, since the stock tired springs are like an old sofa.

P

PNewitt

Not to sound like this does....but if you're hoping to build a "tribute" GH or LR, then shouldn't you stick to the way they did it back then?

There is a lot to be said for replicating either the GH or LR to as close as possible to the way they were back then. They are very historic vehicles, and their strengths are in their original engineering, interior, engines, suspension. And that IRS that Martin Euler made was really "sweet!!".

It's like the lumberjack that came in from the woods, and said his ax was original...."yep, it's the second handle, and the third head, but by gosh, it's ORIGINAL!!"

Certainly, build your car(s) any way you like, but know the difference between a real "tribute" car and a modified Mustang.

Again--no criticism, just making a point. Enjoy your project.

Paul N.

clubpro

Pippin,

I am working on setting up an account with Rebel Mustang. They have the best fiberglass parts bar none. Their side scoops are exact copies of the originals. Yes the originals did have one bolt in the middle of the scoop and two screws at the front of the scoop that screw into body.

I you are looking for original Ford body panels and you don't want to spend the big bucks for N.O.S. contact my parts source at www.am-mustangparts.com and Jeff can get you just about anything that you need. I purchased both rear quarters and a driver side front fender and the price was very reasonable.

For new suspension parts I can get you those. I don't have a source for the I.R.S. but Jeff at A & M probably can.

Cheers,

Ron

OP
OP
pippin

pippin

Question on Rear Quarter Reflectors...

My car was built on Feb 13, 1968, which makes it the early style rear quarters (before Feb 15th cars had the flat reflectors, after that they used the chrome Cougar reflectors...)

So here is my question, if the Green Hornet was made in late 1967 so it was made from a early style 1968 car like mine and... as a show car... would the indentions for the flat reflectors have been removed, or when you look in the trunk of the green hornet will you see the indentions even though the body is flat on the outside?

If they had indentions, how did they fill the holes to allow for the surface mount cougar side markers...? Or did they cut the indentions out and replace the sheet metal?

OP
OP
pippin

pippin

Purists can breath a sigh of relief.... im not gonna do it.

Ive been soul searching so to speak and ive decided that I am not going to make a Green Hornet clone out of this car. I really want to make one one day, but i will not do it with a GT/CS. I have decided that i want the GT/CS to show its true colors, for what it is, there are so few of them!

For you purists out there, I want to preserve the GT/CS for what it is. Oh, but dont jump too high, im still going to gusset the front end, install a 9" and put a 416/428 stock looking with dual 4v intake and a toploader.