• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

brake / turn signal Help needed

gt bandit

Hello All,

Today i began installing my mini tach , this lead to more investigation as my short term jobs on the muzzy always do !!.

I need help
firstly , can you buy the Brake light extension wiring harness - see attached photo - it appears at one point there was a little overheating which has soldered the switch and harness together.

secondly
Turn signal thread previously mentioned 1 flasher can , I have 2. They are both C8ZB-13350-B
1 is mounted directly behind the clock and has a 3 wire plug
1 mounted behind well back into the lower part of the dash, sort of near the Ashtray but not directly behind it. this has a 2 wire plug.
I assume one is for the emergency flasher ?????

Also a strange wiring harness is coming from the steering column , it is only 3 wires (Red, Yellow with black stripe and Brown) only the red wire enters the main harness connector , the other 2 just hang loose - what's this harness for ?????

All replies grateful - as I don't have a shop manual with a electrical schematic

thanks shaun

Attachments

• MUSTANG DASH ELECTRICS001_edited.JPG
    MUSTANG DASH ELECTRICS001_edited.JPG
    75 KB · Views: 26
  • MUSTANG DASH ELECTRICS003_edited.JPG
    MUSTANG DASH ELECTRICS003_edited.JPG
    126.4 KB · Views: 29
  • MUSTANG DASH ELECTRICS007_edited.JPG
    MUSTANG DASH ELECTRICS007_edited.JPG
    123.4 KB · Views: 17
  • MUSTANG DASH ELECTRICS008_edited.jpg
    MUSTANG DASH ELECTRICS008_edited.jpg
    184.9 KB · Views: 32
  • MUSTANG DASH ELECTRICS017_edited.JPG
    MUSTANG DASH ELECTRICS017_edited.JPG
    141.8 KB · Views: 34
  • MUSTANG DASH ELECTRICS018_edited.JPG
    MUSTANG DASH ELECTRICS018_edited.JPG
    125.2 KB · Views: 33

franklinair

Shaun- here's some partial help. Do you have a FAX? If so, I can Fax the wiring diagrams for the '68 to you. Let me know. (20 pages)

Neil Hoppe

OP
OP
gt bandit

gt bandit

That would be Great - Fax number is Fax: (703) 683-4707

this is my business fax in USA

The home fax number will cost you a fortune.

Is Steve -Electrical Guru out there ???????? did you find that jumper wire?

rvrtrash

Sorry I haven't been around much. I've been swamped! I don't know if the brake switch extension is still available, but you should be able to leave it out with no problem. If you could find a butchered harness in a wrecking yard, you could cut the plug and about 6" of wire out of it, and take your extension to an electrical shop. They should be able to make a new extension from the parts for you. On the flashers, the one with three wires is for the emergency flasher. For the wires hanging out, I'd need a little more info. Do you by any chance have cruise control or a tilt wheel? Does everything on your steering column (turn signals, emer. flashers, horn) work? Finally, I'm embarressed, but what jumper was I going to look for? I'd like to apologize to anyone else I've forgot something on also. I've been so busy, I haven't checked in much or kept up (there are so many threads I haven't read, I'm skipping most unless it looks like something I could help on) but I should be in better shape by fall. Please bear with me.

Steve

OP
OP
gt bandit

gt bandit

hey Steve - thanks mate , the jumper wire i refer to was the extension for the brake switch - I noticed in a previous thread you were trying to hunt down the same thing.

Neil - Thanks for the fax ,

rvrtrash

I think I was looking for someone else and couldn't find one. I'll put it on my list of parts other people want and grab it if I run across one.

Steve

P

PNewitt

A couple of things about that brake light switch connector.

On a lot of cars "our age", the wiring's insulation hardens, and becomes inflexible. The constant use of the brake requires that the wires behind the connector "flex" a little bit.

The other problem, is that the switch itself will get rigid, because the (required!!) nylon washers on each side of the switch, attached to the stud on the brake pedal--will not move.

I read a tech update where they suggest dipping the nylon washers into 10W oil (a little bit) to allow the switch to slightly rotate to the back and forth geometry of the brake pedal travel.

So--thousands of classic 60's Ford owners could sure use a new (replacement) brake pedal light switch connector with some wire to splice into the harness. Can some company that makes repro Ford wiring/connectors provide us with this item?

Paul N.