• The intent of this Restoration Reference forum is to provide a collection of technical, accurate details to help others in their restorations. These Reference Articles can include photos, descriptions, diagrams, part numbers, concours rules, etc.

PLEASE ONLY POST VARIFIED INFORMATION. This is a technical forum and the information needs to be as accurate as possible. Please don't post things you've heard second hand or think you remember reading somewhere.

You may reply to an Article, but only if it serves to give more information or clarify a detail in that Article. These should be a presentation of fact more than a discussion. Off-topic responses will be deleted or moved.

Thanks!
  • Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

289 Engine Dies

AADaddy

On my C Code I have replaced the fuel pump, fuel lines, fuel filter and carb. All are Edelbrock components. Here's the issue. When I got the car running it idles really well. When I rev the engine it dies out when it idles down. Then it is very hard to restart the car. Thoughts? I spoke to Edelbrock and they said I need to adust the idle on the carb. Is is really that easy? Seems like there might be something else going on.

gt/csj4

Rule of thumb I use for carbs for when the run rough and die like this is; vacuum test, check choke, and adjust air/fuel if needed. Start with the cheap easy stuff first then move down the list

green56

289 dies

I had the same problem Check your Vac advance on your dist put a vac on the dist and see if the plate in side of Dist moves to much that is what I did needed to replace Dist runs fine now. Tom Wisconsin

OP
OP
A

AADaddy

Thanks for the info. Typical of many cars I've worked on over the years the problem seemed to resolve itself yesterday. When I got home I hit the key one time and it fired up and never died. I did adjust the screws on the carb to make it run a little more rich and it seems very happy. I still wonder if the distributor needs to be replaced. It is the original one for the engine I believe. If I start to have issues again I'll check the vac advance right away. At this point it's the only think I have not replaced. Now I just have to get the brakes back together and there will be one more GT/CS back on the road! There is a lot of white smoke coming out the tail pipes. Which could be a number of things. I need to get the car out and run it. It's spent a lot of time just sitting since 2006.

gt/csj4

White smoke huh? Is it super bad? Or is it just a bit? I'd hate for your head gaskets to have gone... that would be a bummer!