• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Black Out Blinker Hood

robert campbell

All,
I have a question that has been bugging me for quite some time. Black out blinker hoods on 1968 GT/CS and any 1968 Mustang with a blinker hood.

The registrar’s first book mentions the color code Y5 as the code for Anniversary Gold paint vice the color code “Y” for Sunlit Gold. I think the 5 could mean something else, although his first book goes into great detail about “Anniversary Gold” GT/CS cars that were send to DSO 74. This has led me down the path to the origin of my Gold Nugget Special (GNS). This may be an error in his first book.

From my research of GNS cars they all carry the DSO 741111 and the color-code Y5. The 5 added to the color code Y means blackout hood. I have numerous ads that I got from 1968 Seattle Times micro fish trying to figure my car out, and all the 1968 Ford ads say that the GNS Mustangs were Sunlit Gold. The GNS option included the blackout blinker hood, black vinyl top, GT “C” stripe, and a special plaque on the dash with the owner’s name. Only 525 were made according to the ads of the day. I have seem a few original GNS cars and they all carry the code Y5.

Here is the question. Many of you must have a GT/CS with a "original" blackout blinker hood. If you have a white car with an original blackout hood is the code M for white, or is it M5? Is the five added to any car of any paint to denote the blackout hood? Does your Marti say "M5" also? My door plate was gone.

I researched even into the 1969 era and the Mach I cars had a 5 attached to their paint code if they got the blackout hood.

Rob

rvrtrash

Rob, here's what little I "know". The 6 digit DSO was to show something on the car was special ordered out of the ordinary. I had a '69 XL convertible with a 6 digit DSO and there was no paint code listed at all. Even Ford couldn't tell me what color the car was originally painted. I believe that a car that was ordered with an available color would not have received the 6 digit DSO. In my Master Parts Catalog, "Y" is Medium Gold Metallic and there is no listing for Sunlit Gold. Go to any paint chart though and it shows Sunlit Gold Poly for "Y", and nothing that says Medium Gold Metallic. I can't find anything in the catalog or in paint chip libraries for "Anniversary Gold". If I was to hazard a guess, the 6 digit DSO was used because of the dash plaque and had nothing to do with the paint. The paint was a standard color, the hood stripes were an available option, the side stripes were an available option.The "5" does appear to denote a hood and cowl painted with low gloss black paint, according to both my catalog and paint chip cards, but that's "standard" also. Nothing was "special" except the plaque. Just my observations based on years of having no idea what I'm doing or talking about. :wink:

Steve

OP
OP
R

robert campbell

Steve/Arlie,
I just went through 4 pages of the Marti reports on our site. Granted that is not many.

I found no GT/CS cars with the option in the option list at the bottom left hand corner.

"Black-Out Hood Treatment"

I assume many GT/CS cars came with blinker hoods?

Fun stuff!

Rob

Mosesatm

Steve/Arlie,
I just went through 4 pages of the Marti reports on our site. Granted that is not many.

I found no GT/CS cars with the option in the option list at the bottom left hand corner.

"Black-Out Hood Treatment"

I assume many GT/CS cars came with blinker hoods?

Fun stuff!

Rob

All GT/CSs came with the deluxe hood.

Mosesatm

Rob, here's what little I "know". The 6 digit DSO was to show something on the car was special ordered out of the ordinary. I had a '69 XL convertible with a 6 digit DSO and there was no paint code listed at all. Even Ford couldn't tell me what color the car was originally painted. I believe that a car that was ordered with an available color would not have received the 6 digit DSO. In my Master Parts Catalog, "Y" is Medium Gold Metallic and there is no listing for Sunlit Gold. Go to any paint chart though and it shows Sunlit Gold Poly for "Y", and nothing that says Medium Gold Metallic. I can't find anything in the catalog or in paint chip libraries for "Anniversary Gold". If I was to hazard a guess, the 6 digit DSO was used because of the dash plaque and had nothing to do with the paint. The paint was a standard color, the hood stripes were an available option, the side stripes were an available option.The "5" does appear to denote a hood and cowl painted with low gloss black paint, according to both my catalog and paint chip cards, but that's "standard" also. Nothing was "special" except the plaque. Just my observations based on years of having no idea what I'm doing or talking about. :wink:

Steve

Steve, in a similar vein Gulfstream Aqua is known as Bright Blue Metallic, or something like that.

OP
OP
R

robert campbell

In my Musatng Data Plate Decoder book it says in 1969 that all 1969 Mustangs with their paint code followed by a 5 means flat balck on the hood.

Of course that is in 1969, but it seems that it follows what Steve found.

There are 3 GNS Marti reports in our site listing. All say sunlit gold and all say Y5 with blackout hood treatment. The black out hood listed as an option in the list.

Rob

J_Speegle

The additional digit ("5") in the paint code of Mustangs (other cars it meant different things) was first used (as far as I know) in 67 to identify those cars with the dark charcoal gray ribbed taillight panel.

IMHO the "5" changed to the hood treatment starting in 68 and was carried through 70. Kevin Marti's Tag book also list "5" as indicating that the car originally came with a low gloss hood.

Looking at The Mustang Production Guide the earliest reported Y5 car is car 101403 with a projected build date of Aug 21st. Is see a few other Y5's along with three Y5 GNS's built in Jan and one in Feb I wrote in by hand - must be from that door I found (with 741111 DSO) Not sure if that has any bearing on your search

Don't think the lack of the detail in a sales ad has much bearing on how they were equipped

Mosesatm

Rob,

Kevin Marti could probably tell you if there were only Y5 cars or if there are any W5, T5, or any-other-code + 5 cars.

OP
OP
R

robert campbell

Looking at The Mustang Production Guide the earliest reported Y5 car is car 101403 with a projected build date of Aug 21st. I see a few other Y5's along with three Y5 GNS's built in Jan and one in Feb I wrote in by hand - must be from that door I found (with 741111 DSO) Not sure if that has any bearing on your search.

Jeff,
I agree with your match of the 5 with a low gloss or flat black hood. When you say above that you "see a few Y5's along with three Y5 GNS's built in January" are you quoting the Mustang Production Guide? Or your own list?Starting somewhere in late November or December of 1967, 481 of a quoted 525 GNS's where produced. They would all be Y5 to the best of my knowledge.

Rob

CougarCJ

Rob, any Mustang could have had a second "5" digit with the exterior color. (Maybe not black, LOL)
Two digit paint codes (with a "5") meant that the 1968 Mustang had the Two-Tone paint option, nd included the louvered hood.:grin:

This "two tone" option was also part of the 1968 "Sports Trim Group".

All of this information I found in the Mustang Recognition Guide 1965-1973.

OP
OP
R

robert campbell

Scott,
I kinda expected this!! So now I want to see a GT/CS with a "5" besides my GNS, whatever it is!

Rob

Ruppstang

Rob,
My Dad has a 68 Mustang GT S Code Coupe. It is Sunlit Gold W/ blacked out hood and the color code is Y5. It was built in San Jose. I'll try to get his Marti report and add it to this thread. Marty

Attachments

• GetAttachment.jpeg
    GetAttachment.jpeg
    30.8 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:
OP
OP
R

robert campbell

Marty,
So now we are where I thought, and Steve (rvrtrash) I think confirmed. Y5 is Sunlit gold with a black out hood. Not Anniversary Gold. So either my car and Janice Brulic's car are not Anniversary Gold and we are color blind. That is a definitately a possibility. Steve cannot even find that color listed.

Crap, it just gets better. The only reason we bring up Anniversary Gold is because of the registrar's first book. Certainly does not seem to be tied to the Y5 code.

Rob

CougarCJ

The first book is dead wrong on the anniversary gold thing. The confusion lies with the special order code of 1111.

....In 1966, a rumored 50 special ordered Anniversary Gold Mustangs were built as part of the Millionth Mustang Anniversary, special order number 1111 and sent to dealerships across the nation. Of the few that have been found, the common features include that they are all hardtops and have C-code 289ci 2-barrel V8 engine, pony interior, steel styled wheels, and special Anniversary Gold paint. We are researching more information as well as trying to figure out the purpose for the three Anniversary Gold 1967 Mustang paints.

Found here.
http://mustangattitude.com/mustang/gold_mustang.shtml

J.Bart

Mosesatm

The first book is dead wrong on the anniversary gold thing. The confusion lies with the special order code of 1111.

....In 1966, a rumored 50 special ordered Anniversary Gold Mustangs were built as part of the Millionth Mustang Anniversary, special order number 1111 and sent to dealerships across the nation. Of the few that have been found, the common features include that they are all hardtops and have C-code 289ci 2-barrel V8 engine, pony interior, steel styled wheels, and special Anniversary Gold paint. We are researching more information as well as trying to figure out the purpose for the three Anniversary Gold 1967 Mustang paints.

Found here.
http://mustangattitude.com/mustang/gold_mustang.shtml

Would the 1111 be for the Aniversary Gold, since it was not a regular Mustang production color.

J_Speegle

Kevin Marti could probably tell you if there were only Y5 cars or if there are any W5, T5, or any-other-code + 5 cars.

Smart & Haskell's book list a number of examples of other combinations that were provided including white & lime gold examples built at San Jose in 68. Other examples at the other two plants listed also

............... When you say above that you "see a few Y5's along with three Y5 GNS's built in January" are you quoting the Mustang Production Guide? Or your own list?Starting somewhere in late November or December of 1967, 481 of a quoted 525 GNS's where produced. .........

The majority of the ones mentioned are from the book. The one additional VIN and door tag info is from the door I mentioned earlier that I found at a swap meet (with door tag in place) 20 or more years ago, Been keeping notes and details for a few years ;)

rvrtrash

Would the 1111 be for the Aniversary Gold, since it was not a regular Mustang production color.

It could be, except Ford wouldn't have put a Y5 code in for paint. They would have left it blank, like my '69 XL was. That's why I don't believe the 1111 had anything to do with the paint color.

Steve