• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

. ADMIN - Forum upgrade - If you have problems post here

admin

Staff member
Administrator
I've just upgraded the forum software today so there will surely be little bugs that need to be worked out. If you find something that doesn't work or doesn't look right please post here so I can fix it.

You may be prompted to change your password when you first log in after the upgrade. If so it's because your password was the same as your username. For security reasons you can't do this anymore, so you'll have to get a little more creative about your password. :grin:

Thanks for everyone's patience and help with the transition.

OP
OP
admin

admin

Staff member
Administrator
If you have problems posting because you keep getting logged out try clearing your cookies. There may be some old cookies causing confusion.

In Internet Explorer go to "Tools" --> "Internet Options". On the "General" tab look for "Settings" and click it (middle, right side). Then click on "View Files" and that will give you a list of your cookies.

In Firefox go to "Tools" --> "Options". On the "Privacy" tab click on "Show Cookies" then find any related to this site. Highlight each and click "Remove Cookies".

You don't need to delete them all, just any that are from this site. Look for "cookies" files that contain any of the following:
www.californiaspecial.com
californiaspecial.com

aemoo28

Where did my gallery pics go?

Hi Jon,

My two galleries seem to have disappeared.

Actually it's only when I access my gallery thru the user CP that I can't find them. They are there if I click on 'my gallery' on my posts.

OP
OP
admin

admin

Staff member
Administrator
I think I see the confusion. The Gallery has never been accessed through UserCP, but with the new forum version there is a built in photo album that is listed in UserCP. You're probably seeing that, which doesn't have any photos. I'll see about taking that out.

To access or edit your Gallery click on "Gallery" on the top or left menu and then "Add/Edit my Gallery" in the upper right.

BroadwayBlue

No Problem just a big THANK YOU!!

Great job thanks for all the hard work.

I have to tell you, this upgrade fixed a problem I've been having for many many months ... I thought it was just a Vista problem, even though it happened only on this site and something similar used to happen on eBay but that went away awhile ago.

When I used to click on "Top" at the bottom of a thread, it would only go part way up, then I'd have to go back down to "Top" and click it again and it would work.
Annoying as heck let me tell you!!

Well this upgrade fixed it for me! That in itself made it all worth it for me!

Thanks for all the work you do to keep this site up and running and asking nothing in return!!

PFSlim

If you have problems posting because you keep getting logged out try clearing your cookies. There may be some old cookies causing confusion.

In Internet Explorer go to "Tools" --> "Internet Options". On the "General" tab look for "Settings" and click it (middle, right side). Then click on "View Files" and that will give you a list of your cookies.

In Firefox go to "Tools" --> "Options". On the "Privacy" tab click on "Show Cookies" then find any related to this site. Highlight each and click "Remove Cookies".

You don't need to delete them all, just any that are from this site. Look for "cookies" files that contain any of the following:
www.californiaspecial.com
californiaspecial.com

Jon

Would the cookies cause a problem that would make you log in everytime you get on the site? I can post fine, but everytime I come back to visit the site after I have closed out the internet, I have to log back on.

Paul

OP
OP
admin

admin

Staff member
Administrator
Paul, check to be sure the "Remember me" box is checked where you type in your login info. It used to be checked by default, but with the upgrade it got reversed. I'll go in and fix that tonight.

But if the "remember me" is checked and you still get logged out, then yes clear your cookies. The cookie that got set may be causing problems.

somethingspecial

Jon, I tossed my cookies last night and clicked the "Remember Me" box and I still get logged off. Now if I am navigating and hit the Forum key I get logged off again. Very irritating. Seems to be faster, and I am on dial up. Mike

OP
OP
admin

admin

Staff member
Administrator
Mike, I would bet your issue is being caused by a mismatch in the domain prefix (ie. using the "www" before californiaspecial.com or not) Keep an eye on your browser address bar and note whether you're using the "www" or not in the URL. If you are and then click a link in the forums that doesn't use the "www" then it logs you out.

I've gone through and cleaned everything in the forums so it doesn't use the "www" prefix. Hopefully now it won't keep shuffling you back and forth and you should stay logged in.

P

PNewitt

My message area is still 1" wide...

and I CAN NOT attach images--no "manage attachments" button.

I excluded the cookies, and a new bookmark made.

Mac, OS 9.2, Internet Explorer.

Upgrades should not exclude older OS.

Paul N.

OP
OP
admin

admin

Staff member
Administrator
Paul, I'm sorry about the problems you've having. Without a Mac running your OS it's impossible for me to see what you're seeing, so it limits my ability to trouble shoot. It's probably a template issue.

I've created a default template to help test the problem. If you look in the lower left corner there should be a drop down box that says "-- California Special". Change the selection to "-- Default" which should then give you a completely different look to the forums. Then try posting and/or replying and see if you still have the same problems.

If you no longer have the problem then I know it's an issue with my template. If you still have the problem then it's an issue with the actual forum software and I'll need to get support from them.

P

PNewitt

Thanks, Jon for trying here...

OK--I hit default, and I got an all-white screen with a "V Bulletin" logo in the top left. No CS car, etc...

And I still have a 1" message area, and no way to post photos, attachments, etc...

The "attach files" box says "Valid file extrensions": bmp, gif, etc...; but no button to click on that says: "Manage Attachments".

<<sigh>>

Not to rub it in, but I'm sure there are others out there with the same setup as me.

Thanks for working on this.

Paul.
(p.s. Sorry to hear the Mike "lost his cookies" doing this. Maybe some Saran Wrap on the keyboard will help for the next time....LOL)

hotrodgrany

I had the issue of loging in and tried to change my pass word, but wasn't able to. Never got the email to get it changed, as I have always in the past. Jon had to manually set it and know I can get back in, I am lost with out this web sight. Thanks Jon.....

OP
OP
admin

admin

Staff member
Administrator
Thanks, Jon for trying here...

OK--I hit default, and I got an all-white screen with a "V Bulletin" logo in the top left. No CS car, etc...

And I still have a 1" message area, and no way to post photos, attachments, etc...
Well unfortunately that points to it being an issue with the forum software, which limits my ability to fix it. It's possible that your browser and/or OS are simply too old to continue to be supported. I've submitted a support ticket and hopefully will get an answer soon.

P

PNewitt

oh, great.

Why not just leave things alone? Everything was just fine. Isn't there a third party support plug in for this update? Zillions of other sites and message boards work just fine on my setup as it is.

Not to be "TOO" sour, but this sucks.

Well, there will be no pics from me for a while....

PMN

OP
OP
admin

admin

Staff member
Administrator
Paul, I know it's frustrating and I'll continue to research it. I have a couple feelers out to Mac specific forums using the same forum software to see how they've handled it.

Unfortunately, for security reasons I can't just continue to run old software without updating. I wish I could as it's a severe pain for me every time. As with most web software, eventually vulnerabilities are discovered and exploited by hackers with nothing better to do with their lives. I had this happen on another forum and the lost data and hours spent recovering was not fun to deal with. So updates and bug patches are just a necessity of running a site.

P

PNewitt

OK, I understand...

You might try a site called:
Versiontracker.com for Mac freeware and other things. it's kind of like a wherehouse of Mac upgrades and plug ins. If that doesn't work, they have links.

Good luck--and thank you for making the effort.

PAUL.