• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Steering column question

68 GTCS

My steering column shorted out and smoke rolled out of it, so I quickly pulled the horn center cap and pulled the two horn wires off. After pulling the wheel off I noticed that it had shorted out on the back side of the wheel melting the two tabs on springs that ride on the back of the wheel. it is all on the same plastic peice that the blinker control is on. My question is, I looked to find a new one and they say they are for FIXED steering columns only and mine is a TILT-AWAY. Is there a difference? Does anyone know where to purchase this item or if its still avaliable. Any help on this would be great. If not it looks like I won't have a horn.

Kevin

somethingspecial

Yes Virginia, there is a Santa Clause

Kevin, I found one in the Mustangs Unlimited Catalog. It is on pg. 217, Part #
F1897 Cost. $109.95 68/69 tilt wheel turn signal switch.
The Difference is the release mech. where the turn signal lever screws in.

You might check to confirm the 68 and 69 are the same. Hope this helps. National Parts Depot shows a 69 tilt unit Part #13341-6A OEM for $139.95
pg. 127

Hope this helps. Mike

OP
OP

68 GTCS

Thanks for the info, that helps a bunch. The two cataloges I have did not show one. I wil have to get a Mustangs Unlimited one.

Thanks,
Kevin