• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

tail light panel please help

bindiman99

I was wondering if anyone out there could possible help me out I had my tail light panel replaced do to an accident but the body shop failed to do the cut outs for the t-bird tail lights. If anyone could take some photos of the inside of there trunk with a tapemeasure in it so I can get the exact placement for the cut outs that would be great. I know its alot of work for most and this job doesnt pay but it would help me out a bunch. Anyways thanks for any help anyone can throw my way.

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL
JOHN

rvrtrash

I have my fiberglass taillight panel off being repaired (hit in the back also) so I'll go out and take some pictures. Look for an email from me.
Steve

68sunlitgold

I don't have my car with me in Korea but here is a picture of the rearend with the cutour panels in place.
Doug

Attachments

• panel_cutouts.jpg
    panel_cutouts.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 30
OP
OP
B

bindiman99

thanks for all the photos and help but I have one more request. When a previous owner restored the car they took off the side scoops. When I first got the car and didnt know what it was I was removing the bondo and came across holes where the scoops were at one time they filled them with brass welds it looks like. If anyone has a photo of there car with there scoop off I would definatly like to see it. Thanks for the help to everyone for the help and especially nid steve for the photos ive gotten of the tail light panel.
thanks again John

x-codegtcs

I can get a photo for you in a few days - if you don't get anything earlier. On my J-Code, which I have the scoops removed from, the holes are sloppy and were double/triple drilled to get alignment right. Nothing to be impressed about. I am sure if you take the scoops and measure fairly well, you will be able to do a better job than the originals - which will help prevent water getting in too.

Send me an email to let me know if you still need the photos.

66 Dearborn HCS

[quote author=x-codegtcs link=board=1;threadid=746;start=0#msg4142 date=1072974962]
well, you will be able to do a better job than the originals - which will help prevent water getting in too.
[/quote]

I just had a thought re: the water problem. Couldn't rope caulk be used between the shelby fiberglass panel and the sheetmetal taillight panel to prevent any water from getting back there? I use the stuff all the time when building speaker enclosures as a seal between the driver and the box. Makes it airtight. I don't see why that wouldn't work to make your taillights "watertight".

Scott

rvrtrash

Hey Bindiman99, glad I could help with the taillight panel. I can't help you at the moment with the scoops 'cause they're still on my car and it'll be about a month before they come off. On the rope caulk, because of the size of the taillight panel and all the angles, I wouldn't try to seal it. Murphy's law says the seal won't keep all water out but will hold it in, causing rust. Just my humble opinion.
Steve

68sunlitgold

John,
Here is a picture of a car with the scoop off, not mine. Hope this helps, you will see how the one hole is long because of the need to align it correctly.
Doug

Attachments

• hole_for_scoop.jpg
    hole_for_scoop.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 24