• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Original "X" code california special w/ Tach?

I recently bought an unrestored 1 owner california special with 104,000 miles. The car is the very rare X code 390 2v with a c6 and 3:00 open rear. I just got my Marti Report and I have a question. The car has a nice original interior and appears to have never been worked on. It has the optional 68 headests with a standard black interior. It has an indash 6000 rpm tach. The Marti report did not show the tach as an option but it does show the headrests. Was the in dash tach part of the GT equipment group or do all GT/CS cars have the tach? The car is an unrestored original that has been sitting in storage since 1986. Any help would be great and thank you for this great website.

Jim

Attachments

• california special Marti report.pdf
    52.6 KB · Views: 87

Ruppstang

The tach option was not part of the GT-CS option or any other option. It was was a option of its self. Two things are posible a early owner added it or Marti Auto missed it on your report. Very nice car welcome to the site. Marty

admin

Staff member
Administrator
Welcome to the site. That's a nice rare car to get your feet wet in the GT/CS world!

Be sure to post some photos. We love pics! Also please add your Marti report to this thread: http://californiaspecial.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3199

If you're convinced it's a factory tach you might give Kevin Marti a call and ask him to double check.

franklinair

WELCOME. Sounds like a VERY interesting car. Where are you located? Lots of knowledgeable & helpful folks here.

Neil Hoppe

TraveledGTCS

The tach could have been installed by the dealer as one of their options. When I bought my 302 GT/CS, I wanted a tach in the instrument panel, but I was told it was only offered for 390 and above. So I had the hood tach installed instead. Did the original owner give you any indication as to when the tach was installed?? From what I understand, the Marti report doesn't include the dealer options unless it was on the original order invoice.

Bill

admin

Staff member
Administrator
From what I understand, the Marti report doesn't include the dealer options unless it was on the original order invoice.
Correct. The data Marti has only reflects factory options.

OP
OP
Barillarospeed
Thanks for the answers. I talked with Marti and the women said any factory installed option would be on the report. The car is a one owner car on paper, it was sold to a collector in 2001 and never titled. Technically I am the 3rd owner but I have the title and owners manual with the original owners info. I bought the car from the 2nd owners wife. Her husband passed away and she didn't have a lot of info other than some old records from 1985-1986. I have 4 vintage mustangs and this car is one of the most rust free cars I have ever seen. I was hoping the tach was from the factory and if someone changed is they did a nice job. I just got the old 390 running and I need to replace the original exhaust and go thru the brakes. I feel very fortunate to have been able to buy the car and it's fun to learn about it. I will post pictures as soon as I take some.
Thanks, Jim

OP
OP
Barillarospeed
Thanks for the compliments! At this point in time I have 4 classic Mustangs. When a friend told me about this car I couldn't pass it up. My wife is very understanding, but I think I reached my limit. My brother and I have a fabrication shop in Knoxville Tn specializing in hot rods and muscle cars. I have been into classic mustangs since I was a teenager and got my first car, a 68 coupe when I was 15. I am 32 and still have it, and it's lime gold like the GT/CS. I have attached a photo of my 68 from about 3 years ago playing at the local dragstrip.
Jim

Attachments

• 0141.jpg
    0141.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 48

obwan93001

Welcome Barillarospeed! Very nice find there, I too dig these kinds of stories very much. Looking forward to some pics when you get em posted. What are your plans w/it btw? How is the exterior? Is it nice enough that you plan on just freshening it up or are you planning on a full on resto of her?

Thanks for sharing and again, welcome to the GT/CS family Jim!

Oscar

OP
OP
Barillarospeed
Thanks Oscar,
For right now I am just going thru the mechanical on the car. It looks like it had 1 repaint along time ago in the original lime gold and it's showing it's age. Right now I have a 65 fastback stripped to bare metal and I don't need another project so I am going to just preserve the GT/CS until I am ready to go thru the whole car. I think I will drive it unrestored for now until I get more time. I am going to try and get some photos posted Sunday.
Jim

Ruppstang

Hi Jim I have been thinking about the tach in your car. It is a big deal to add all the correct harnesses. If some one just added the tach cluster you might look for a extra single wire to the voltage regulator and possibly one to the coil for the tach signal. Do the Alt light and oil pressure light work? Marty

OP
OP
Barillarospeed
Hi Marty,
Ok I went out to the garage and did some investigating. I should of brought this up earlier but it didn't cross my mind. Someone added an old stewart Warner oil preasure and amp gauge in the car at some point. The coil or the voltage regulator doesn't appear to have any other wires added. The oil or amp light doesn't work on the tach but the tach works good. I guess I need to look into it more. I also noticed that the chrome part of the bezel's have been painted semi flat black around the speedo and tach. It looks like it may have been added at some time but I don't see where the pick up for the tach is. Thanks for the info I will follow up if I figure it out and I will get some pictures soon.
Jim

OP
OP
Barillarospeed
I took a few shots of the car but it's tight in my garage so there not that great. As you can see the car needs to be restored but I think it's so cool to find a nice complete and solid car to start with. When it warms up I will take some better pictures outside. Thanks, Jim

Attachments

• 1968 GTCS 008.jpg
    1968 GTCS 008.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 65
  • 1968 GTCS 007.jpg
    1968 GTCS 007.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 64
  • 1968 GTCS 006.jpg
    1968 GTCS 006.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 78
  • 1968 GTCS 005.jpg
    1968 GTCS 005.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 76
  • 1968 GTCS 004.jpg
    1968 GTCS 004.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 68
  • 1968 GTCS 003.jpg
    1968 GTCS 003.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 77
  • 1968 GTCS 002.jpg
    1968 GTCS 002.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 70
  • 1968 GTCS 001.jpg
    1968 GTCS 001.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 66
  • 1968 GTCS 010.jpg
    1968 GTCS 010.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 67
OP
OP
Barillarospeed
Thanks Rob,
My 68 with the teardrop has a built 302 and a toploader in it. I used to have an original ford 2 X 4 intake on it but now just a C90X dual plane intake. I always loved the AFX bubble hoods so I got that one from crites when he made tham for 67-68's.

Ruppstang

Hi Marty,
Ok I went out to the garage and did some investigating. I should of brought this up earlier but it didn't cross my mind. Someone added an old stewart Warner oil preasure and amp gauge in the car at some point. The coil or the voltage regulator doesn't appear to have any other wires added. The oil or amp light doesn't work on the tach but the tach works good. I guess I need to look into it more. I also noticed that the chrome part of the bezel's have been painted semi flat black around the speedo and tach. It looks like it may have been added at some time but I don't see where the pick up for the tach is. Thanks for the info I will follow up if I figure it out and I will get some pictures soon.
Jim

It certainly looks to me likely that the tach cluster was added. When you get in to the restoration and if you want to make everything correct let me know and I can give you a guy's name that can change your harness over to a tach one.
Your car looks like a real solid start and with a little TLC could be a real fun driver. Best of luck. Marty

Midnight Special

Your car looks like a real solid start and with a little TLC could be a real fun driver. Best of luck. Marty

...+1. With a thorough detail job, it looks to be among the best "rolling heritage" vehicles I've seen in awhile. Cars like yours (to me) are often more appealing than fully restored show queens in that the GT/CS is as unique (and rarer) than coveted Shelbys, but still affordably operable. Huge satisfaction and intrigue from all walks are on tap with a simple run to a Starbucks... Try it & see :)

OP
OP
Barillarospeed
Thanks Tim,

I feel the same way about a nice unrestored well kept car. I would like to eventually paint the car but I think I will do it in a traditional driver style form. For now I can't wait to drive the car like it is and enjoy the mild 390 torque.