• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

The History of Your CS - How can u find out?

njmop

I just read P51's post on the million dollar muscle car. The history is important to the final value of the car. I am NOT expecting a racing heritage on my CS (small block-auto), but would like to trace it's history. Is there any way to do this w/o bugging the guy I got if from? I know he got it from "some kid" "a few years back" and that's all I know. Wuz no CARFAX back in 68 you know...

Stuff like:
# of owners,
Location of the owners (Cali or otherwise)
Where my original motor is? (just kidding...)

LUVMYCS

It will be very difficult to get a history on your vehicle without actually contacting the previous owners. I tried using DMV to find my car's original owner's name but there is a law about giving out that type of information now-a-days and they wouldn't give it to me.
Good luck.

P

PNewitt

Not to sound naive, elusive, or misleading, but what is is about finding the previous owners that is so appealing? Is it the owner information, like where it "lived"?, and where missing parts ended up?

Could someone explain that to me? I say this because there are other ways to do the "detective work" on each of your cars. For instance, the book will include information from Marti about how many GT/CS cars were sent to each specific DSO. I'll pair that info with my data of when those DSO cars began and ended production and delivery (based on the registry).

This will provide a narrower window of time to know what happened with your car. Of course, your personal Marti Report will help even more. Some Ford dealers there at the time "may" be of some help, too.

Like the list above--what else would you like to know--like a "history wish list"?? Maybe I can help narrow these histories by some outside research.

BTW--the new data says to me that each and every GT/CS is a VERY unique and special Mustang. It's almost like seeing 4118 factory-built custom Mustangs.

Paul.

390cs68rcode

Paul:

I like "history" of things I buy. I carry a $10 1879 gold piece (coin) in my pocket because I can imagine where that coin has been before I owned it. I own military rifles and handguns from WWI and WWII that were actually used during the war. I also collect other "old" things.

To me the history of something made before I was born has a interest to me. Anyone can walk into a store and buy something off the shelf that was made yesterday however owning something made over a 100 years ago is very cool and interesting to me.

miller511

I'd like to know where my CS resided before I had it. I bought it from a guy in Fremont which is right next to Milpitas where it was made. But after getting the Marti Report found out that it is a DSO74 (Seattle) car and was originally sold in Portland, OR. I'm curious how it made it's way back to northern California.

P

PNewitt

I appreciate your interests in history, whether a collectible, or a GT/CS.

The GT/CS Registry, from the beginning, is the only one (as far as I know) that asks owners to provide some type of story, or history. I did this to help future (or past) owners to know a little more about their car(s), than just a lot of numbers.

I have many, many letters with stories from owners--since 1985. What I should do (after the book is out), is mention if there are any stories in my mail for cars with new owners since the 1989, and/or 1996 Registries were printed.

thanks!

Paul N.

P

PNewitt

p.s.

There is a movie that I saw as a child in 1964, called "The Yellow Rolls Royce", with Rex Harrison. It's not on DVD (don't know why not), but here is the site about it:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0059927/

I think that every CS (and old car owner) should see this movie. It's an amazing story....and it relates to us wondering what happened to our cars all these years.

It begins with a team of horses pulling a elegant trailer, with a 1900-era Rolls-Royce in bright yellow to the RR dealership in London.....then it ends up in WWI, almost destroyed, etc...among it's many owners.

Paul N.

BroadwayBlue

njmop said:
IWuz no CARFAX back in 68 you know...

Not sure if this was tongue in cheek or not but I don't think anyone answered this part.
Carfax would not be able to get this info. It didn't exist at the time either.

Carfax is only good for cars built after 1981. That is when VINs became standardized.

Would be nice though if it did.

I, like Jason, love "old things" and things with a history. Has turned me into a bit of a pack rat but I love to know or imagine the history associated with something.
Definitely for my CS. Would love to know info from the previous owners. Why the bought it, memories they have, why they sold it, etc ...

P

PNewitt

BroadwayBlue said:
I, like Jason, love "old things" and things with a history. Has turned me into a bit of a pack rat but I love to know or imagine the history associated with something.
Definitely for my CS. Would love to know info from the previous owners. Why the bought it, memories they have, why they sold it, etc ...

...like the things we "found" the first time we looked through our GT/CS, and lifted up the back seat. AAHH!!!

that is, if we can talk about it....

LOL!

OP
OP
njmop

njmop

Thanks for all these thoughts! MY CS was purchased in LA and I bought it in Riverside, CA (not too far from LA). I can guess that my car never left a 100 mile radius until I bought it last year. I am just a curious guy, don't care to intrude on people's privacy or anything. History is fun and my car is a piece of history... ;-)

rvrtrash

PNewitt said:
...like the things we "found" the first time we looked through our GT/CS, and lifted up the back seat. AAHH!!!

that is, if we can talk about it....

LOL!

I keep all the "memorabilia" from my cars in plastic bags. Old gas station receipts, parking stickers, etc. I have a handful of Japanese coins I found in my '73 Mach 1 from the time it spent in Japan.
Steve

John McGilvary

I am very lucky when it comes to knowing the history of my CS. I bought it new at a dealership about 40 miles away from where I still live. The dealership is long gone now, but the salesman that sold the CS to me is a good friend of mine and lives just a block away from me. John