• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Some erroneous, but interesting text...

Midnight Special

... I found this on a Facebook page with the following blurb attached. We have far better information on this site, but I thought the section highlighted would be of interest to Rob Campbell.

JULY 30, 1968 --- THIS DAY IN FORD HISTORY:
It was this day back in 1968 that marked the end of production for the Mustang High County Special (HCS), which was a seperate car with only 251 built, but part of a larger group of California Specials (GT/CS). Production for the HCS started June 8th and were built in 12 different batches. Production of the GT/CS also ceased on this day with a total of 4,325 (including HCS) being built, even though the initial order in December was set to 6,180, it was eventually cut down too 5,500, then on May 11th it was cut down a third time and finally set at 4,325. Production for the California Special started much earlier on February 17, with the exception of a few prototypes that were built on December 28th, 1967 by Shelby American by request from Ford to help development. An earlier prototypes built in September 1967 became the famous "Li'l-Red". The first prototype (photographed September 8, 1967) was labeled as GT/SC not GT/CS!!! The GT/SC stood for GT/Sport Coupe. This was eventually rejected and replaced with the California Special. To build these cars, construction contract for the various parts including the fiberglass was awarded to ACSCO in Burbank, CA on January 15th, 1968. ACSCO built 7-prototypes for Ford review by the first week of Feb 1968. These prototypes we're then shown at the Ford dealer party on February 15th 1968 at L.A.'s prestigious Century Plaza Hotel were a 1,000 units were ordered; breaking a wholesale record. All cars on hand were sold. Five days later the California Special was unvailed to the public at the San Francisco Fairmont Hotel Convention Center with the announcement that a special version of the California Special would be built for Southern Oregon called the Nugget Gold Special. Not all of the GT/CS came with the performance GT package, as evident by the 130 6-cylinder built, 80 of which were three-speeds. Since the F-code 302-2v engine was never available at the San Jose plant in 1968, none of these cars ever came with this engine. The big block version contained 54 390/auto an unknown amount of four-speeds and a handful of 428 Cobra Jets of which 2 are known to exist.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...00750340.45362.159397550781095&type=1&theater

Last edited:

stangfan

That's the thing about the internet. Anyone can post anything they want, no matter how inaccurate. Heck, even the spelling is bad. :wink:

sportyworty

yup have you written your wikapedia today

all 3 of those GT/CS CJ cars are living and breathing.

robert campbell

Tim,
Arlie has a group of 5 early GT/CS cars that are not Marti verified. They are all early build dates within a couple days of each other. We are researching that. Funny how someone on the internet (not me) posted comments that are directly in line with the first GT/CS restoration book. That prototypes were built for Southern Oregon which would go to the Seattle DSO 74 which my car and Janice Brulics were. Again, stated in the first book. Maybe this person is quoting that or has some new information?

Never say never is my motto. Arlie an I having fun with 5 cars that also may have been prototypes or on the line and converted after they were ordered at San Jose.

Thanks for the information!

Rob

gt/csj4

AND 7 0f the 9 HCS cars w/factory 428's are alive and well, w/4 of them less then 2 hours from my home, here in the Denver area. HC Bob here.

thats crazy! I too live right by a guy who owns this red shelby looking coupe mustang with a black scoop on it... never talked to him tho he looks mean :wink:

sportyworty

He is a heck of a nice guy with a great sense of humor so you are good to go. wink

10 years now and I still have not figured out the icons. They always end up at the end of the title instead of where I want them.

gt/csj4

He is a heck of a nice guy with a great sense of humor so you are good to go. wink

10 years now and I still have not figured out the icons. They always end up at the end of the title instead of where I want them.

Ya i was kidding i have actually known bob since i was a little kid lol he is an excellent guy and makes me laugh everytime i go over to his house. I actually remember when bob got his cj hcs and even remember the long process of the resto. Him and i had quite a fun time at the mustang roundup at the auto x in that car (poly glas tires and auto crossing is exciting) ... Mustang monthly was doing a editorial on his and other hcs.... Funny story and i know bob remembers it haha

sportyworty

I was kidding saw your mentions previously regarding Bob. We have a communication problem lol I am reaching out ha ha