• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Ground wire for tail lights

harryz

I'm in the process of fixing my (non-working) brake lights and have been reading all the posts and suggestions from the folks who have already "been there, done that". First, let me say 'thank you' to all of you who passed along your experience, it really helps a lot!

Now, I have a question... A couple of posts mentioned that there is a wire in the trunk area that screws to the body/frame and acts as the ground for the tail lights. I don't seem to have this wire on either of my GT/CS's. Where is this wire on the loom? And where does it attach to the body?

Let me also pass along a tip on brighter tail lights. Replace your 1157 bulbs with 2357 bulbs. Same brightness on the tail light, 25% brighter on the brake light.

Mahalo in advance for your assistance.

Harry Z.

PFSlim

Harry

The ground wire should be located in the middle, between both tail light connectors and should attached close to or around the gas cap area on the inside of the trunk. Least, that is where I remember mine.

Paul

jc68gtcs

harryz said:
Let me also pass along a tip on brighter tail lights. Replace your 1157 bulbs with 2357 bulbs. Same brightness on the tail light, 25% brighter on the brake light.

Thanks for the tip on the 2357's. I think that's just what I need..

OP
OP
H

harryz

Paul,

Thanks for the info on the location of the ground wire. Too simple... I was looking at each corner of the trunk where the wires split off to go to the taillights.

Mahalo,

Harry Z.

OP
OP
H

harryz

One more thing on the 2357 bulbs

jc68gtcs said:
Thanks for the tip on the 2357's. I think that's just what I need..

If you search for '1157 & 2357' in your favorite search engine, you'll find the articles where I got the information about the 2357 having a brighter brake light filament. (Most of these are motorcycle sites.) Note also that they say the 2357 has a shorter life span, so you should check them often.

(there ain't no free lunch...)

Harry Z.

Mosesatm

Harry, here's where the ground wire is on my car.

Last edited:

PFSlim

Looks like a new tank to me!! I was glad I put in a new one.

Harry - Looks like Arlie sent you a good picture of the ground wire.

Paul

Mosesatm

Saw this dime-size orange spot on the concrete under the rear of the car and couldn't figure out what it was. Didn't smell like anything so I figured it had to be water and rust. Then I looked up and saw a little tiny drop of fluid on the bottom of the tank. It didn't smell like gas. Uh oh, that meant only one thing. Water in the bottom of the tank rusting it out, hence the new gas tank. One step forward and 2 steps back!

OP
OP
H

harryz

Hi Arlie,

Thanx for the picture. I went out to the car last night and found the ground wire. On my car, the wire was painted the same color as the trunk support, so I'll use that as my excuse for not seeing it the first time. :->

Harry Z.

Perkchiro

So here's my gas tank story. Removed tank during disasembly of the car. Saved tank in special location in garage. Ordered tank tone from Eastwood. Used rotary wire brush on tank to clean up and primed tank with spray primer. (Saturday afternoon project.) Painted two coats of Eastwood tank tone and returned tank to safe location in garage. Months later, reinstalled tank. Put gas in tank and 5 gallons of 92 octane fuel ran onto garage floor. Replaced tank with new one for $100 bucks. Moral of story. Replace old gas tank with new one. Don't waste time on restoration. Well worth the money!

PFSlim

Great story Perk. I agree, not worth the trouble. Now that we have learned so much, think how easy it would be to do another restoration. Course, by the time we do that, we have forgotten everything!!

Paul