• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Fog Light Pedestals

Hey guys! I'm currently restoring a basket case GT/CS, and just bought some correct fog lights, but the have square bases. I was wondering if any of you guys would have any information and pictures on how they should look like and exactly how the mount to the car. I would really appreciate your help. Thanks.

68sunlitgold

yoyoyo,
Tony Branda www.cobranda.com sells the posts and here is a picture of it, you can see a closer picture on the identification part of this site.

Doug

Attachments

• hcs-fog1.jpg
    hcs-fog1.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 35

68sunlitgold

yoyoyo,
If you need measurements on where you need to drill into the grille molding, just ask, it is available in the '96 registry.
Doug

OP
OP
G

I would appreciate measurements. I can't find them at tony branda's website. Can you give me a specific URL. Thanks for your help.

68sunlitgold

yoyoyo,
Don't feel bad, I do not like their website either. I would call them 1800-458-3477 and ask for the part # LFL7 "California Special GT/CS Lucas Fog Light Pedestals Kit: $93.95. Before you buy them, there is another post on this site from staightsix, who is going to make some pedestals and I believe much cheaper. I am not sure on the bolts and such. You can also call Branda and ask them to send you a catalog, it has a small section in it just for the GT/CS.
Here also is the page from the registry with the measurements.
Doug

Attachments

• foglightmolding.jpg
    foglightmolding.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 89

StraightSix

I still plan on making the pedestals, and including the bolts as well. The kit would be all-inclusive. However, I'm not sure if I can make the bolts myself... does anyone know of something readily available? The bolts have internal (female) threads which accept the male threaded post of the fog light housing. It seems to me that this type of fastener would be common enough to be offered ready-made by somebody. If I can't find one ready-made, then my plans are to try and drill out the end of a bolt using a drill press, then tap the hole for the correct thread. I just don't know if garage machinery is good enough for this job. I suspect that it may require a true machine shop. I said this last week (or was it two weeks ago?), but I hope to get in the garage this weekend. It's just been cold and nasty here in Houston. I was out there yesterday just long enough to hook up the battery charger, then later fire up the GT/CS. I also spray-painted some 289 manifolds with high-temp aluminum color. They look great!!! I think I'll do this to the GT/CS's rusty manifold. I'll post pics when I do.

Yoyoyo, if you are in a hurry to get these pedestals just buy from Tony Branda. Mine are still a ways off from being ready. The only thing is that you'll have to paint Branda's.

-Winston

OP
OP
G

I'm in no hurry, just trying to get everything together. Just e-mail me when you start making them.

StraightSix

Will do :) It's supposed to be warmer this weekend, so look for an update then. Yoyoyo, just how much of a basket case is your GT/CS?

-Winston

OP
OP
G

It was pretty bad when I picked it up. I bought it for 1200 dollars, but it was missing all fiberglass and fog lights. All the glass was good except for the windsheild. The doors needed re-skining, I welded new quarters on because the old ones were rusted, and I also put new floor pans in. I drilled the cowl out and put the repair panels on and welded them in. It had the original 6cyl with 3spd tranny. I had the motor rebuilt and the tranny. I'll post pictures. It looks really good in the engine compartment. I sand blasted the entire car and acid-etch primed it. I have done the body work and am block sanding now.

StraightSix

You're my hero :)

Just kidding, but you're doing what I would like to be doing right now. I'm kinda learning the bodywork trade on my own at the moment, and I'm itching to get a welder. I just bought some bodywork supplies. Where is the best place to get the "memory" block for sanding curves? I'm going to practice bodywork on my pickup ('86 F150) and when I feel confident, move on to the GT/CS.

I'm glad you're keeping the I6/3-speed in the car. Not only is it a rarity on the GT/CS, but it has a nice amount of torque. If you're yearning for a bit more power, the guys here can help:

www.fordsix.com

There are several bolt-on mods (head, header, better carb, better ignition) that can give hp a kick in the backside. With these mods (and a rebuild with a slightly hotter cam, 264* I think), a guy went from 67 rwhp (don't expect more than 90 rwhp out of a fresh, stock engine) to 106 rwhp. Keeping in mind that a 289 V8 only puts about 130 rwhp to the ground, that's pretty good. The best thing is that the engine is easily returned to stock. Personally, I haven't done any mods to my engine yet. When I last drove it, it had good power, and it's been in the garage for a while now.

Anyway, I had better stop before this thread gets even more off-topic.

-Winston

OP
OP
G

I sent you an e-mail straightsix. I haven't even driven my gt/cs yet. I haven't got the drive shaft connected. I need a new fuel pump on mine. But it does run, I poured some gas in the carb with open exaust manifold and that thing roared. I'm planning on upgrading to electronic ignition and possibly a 2v carb. I just finished rebuilding my rear-end. I put new bearings in it and sand blasted it. Added fresh leaf springs with new shackles. Mine has 4 wheel drum brakes, but I'm planning on putting a geo metro master cylinder with brake booster.

68sunlitgold

yoyoyo,
I just noticed that you are still a guest on the site, why not go and register you can use the same ID. ;)
Doug