• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Wanted to buy a CS - NEED ADVICE (posted pics)

Lawrence

I have been looking for a California Special and found one, but being a newbie I need your advice.

According to the Marti report it is a:
289-2v, 3-speed manual, Royal Maroon, Black Standard Buckets, 2.79 axle ratio, CS option, San Jose built. So that is a good start.

From the pictures the car looks really good inside, outside, engine (but they can be deceiving). I spoke with the owner and he said it has no rust whatsoever, just had a fresh paint job (Maroon), new glass and seals all around, trim has been restored, new interior, engine dress up kit, and some aftermarket wheels

First, the owner is asking $20K which seems a bit high to me, but he claims everything has been done to it. Engine and tranny have about 20K miles, only thing I would have to do is A/C (I figure about $1K), but then he said he has a complete original A/C system from another 68.

Second, I want to make sure it is a true CS and not a clone. I know the Marti report says it was a CS, but then you can always get new replacement tags. I read the writeup on this site, but what should I watch for that would be a dead giveaway? BTW, the rear valance around the lights is silver and not color coded to the rest of the car, is this normal?

I plan on hitting the road early Sat to look at it and any help would be appreciated so I know what I am looking at.

Thanks

Mosesatm

Re:Wanted to buy a CS - NEED ADVICE

If all the VIN plates show the same numbers it's probably real. Listed below are the things I normally look for.
Metal caps covering the taillight sockets
A complete wiring harness for the taillights. There should be no splices.
Poorly fitting fiberglass pieces at the rear of the car
Metal screens riveted onto the the scoops
2 screws at the front of the scoops.
A little ridge along the front edge of the scoops
The big brackets in the grille, behind the Lucas foglights, that held the Marchal foglights.
Big 2 1/2" holes on the underside of the hood where the hood pins go through.

Since you didn't mention any options on the car $20,000 seems steep, especially with a 3-speed but that transmission can easily be swapped for a 4-speed or a 5-speed.

You can get air conditioning for around $1,000 if you know how to install it yourself. Look up Vintage Air on the internet for prices.

No car is rust-free. All Mustangs will rust at the front lower door edges and nearly all of them will have rust in the floor pans. Personally, I'd rather buy a car that has had all the rust repaired than buy a rust-free car, but that's just me.

A lot of people painted the taillight housings Shelby silver just because they thought it looked better. I may even do it on my car.

I think you can get a better car for a lot less money with a little patience and persistence.

Mustanglvr

Post lots of pictures on this site and you will get expert advice that can be very helpful. :)Rhonda

OP
OP
L

Lawrence

only options listed on the Marti report were (most of them not on the car anymore)
California Special
3-speed manual transmission
6.95x14-4 ply rated tires
white sidewall tires
AM radio
tinted glass
wheels covers

here are a few pics

Attachments

• 68GTCS1.JPG
    68GTCS1.JPG
    58.6 KB · Views: 11
OP
OP
L

Lawrence

another. I don't know if it is the angle, but the gap between the bumper and the spoiler quarter extension seems excessive compared to the left side. the right side looks a little off

Attachments

• 68GTCS2.JPG
    68GTCS2.JPG
    48.6 KB · Views: 19
OP
OP
L

Lawrence

more

Attachments

• 68GTCS3.JPG
    68GTCS3.JPG
    60.1 KB · Views: 15
OP
OP
L

Lawrence

more. I know there is a lot of non original equipment like the flowmaster mufflers, engine dressup kit, edelbrock rims, and that front spoiler

Attachments

• 68GTCS4.JPG
    68GTCS4.JPG
    70.3 KB · Views: 16
OP
OP
L

Lawrence

one last one. The owner said he had the original grill restored, then chromed because he thought it looked better.

Attachments

• 68GTCS5.JPG
    68GTCS5.JPG
    69.5 KB · Views: 19
OP
OP
L

Lawrence

[quote author=joedls link=board=1;threadid=1945;start=0#msg12934 date=1122616752]
If you don't buy the car, let me know. I am interested ;D
[/quote]

I plan on taking a drive this Sat to look at it if I can figure out what I am looking for. My wife is cool with it, except a little mad that it is a stick, but then I don't have to share ;D

The car is at a small dealer, and he said he bought it from his friend who was the second owner, repainted it, replaced the glass and the seals, restored the trim, added the wheels and engine dress-up, put new carpet, re-upholstered the seats. He also says he has the original book and warranty plate (if it means anything).

68gt390

[quote author=Lawrence link=board=1;threadid=1945;start=0#msg12935 date=1122617100]
[quote author=joedls link=board=1;threadid=1945;start=0#msg12934 date=1122616752]
If you don't buy the car, let me know. I am interested ;D
[/quote]

I plan on taking a drive this Sat to look at it if I can figure out what I am looking for. My wife is cool with it, except a little mad that it is a stick, but then I don't have to share ;D

The car is at a small dealer, and he said he bought it from his friend who was the second owner, repainted it, replaced the glass and the seals, restored the trim, added the wheels and engine dress-up, put new carpet, re-upholstered the seats. He also says he has the original book and warranty plate (if it means anything).
[/quote]

Since the car is at a dealership you've got some dealing power in the fact that:

1. Fog lights are incorrect - they are the Lucas Spot (driving lights) and not the Lucas Fog lights. To replace those it will cost you at least $300 to $500 or more.

2. The fact that the grille has now been chromed instead of the gray metallic and will have to be redone.

3. Steering wheel has been replaced with aftermarket wheel.

4. Aftermarket Rims, not the originals.

Since they have stated they bought it from a friend ask for contact info on previous owner to see if he may have some of the original pieces that may have been removed from the car. It may also prove as a trapping point as to "did they really buy the car from a friend". Plus, does previous owner or dealership have the original rims etc.

I bought my CS 390 from a dealership in Seattle and used every point I could to deal with the folks for all original items that were missing on the car. They wanted $23,950 but, by the time I got done pointing out things that were missing or needed to be replaced I got the car for $16,500. You should be able to deal with them. I've seen this car on the internet for the last several months. Plus the front spoiler is not original. Again it just depends on what you want in the car. If you like it then I say go for it. It doesn't hurt to wheel and deal with these folks. You'd be supprised how fast they will deal with you if you start to walk and they know there is some serious cash out there. Also, Pull the back seat bottoms and check the pans, also if you can pull up the front carpet around the drivers front dimmer switch and passenger side to check the pans.
Just a few areas to check for easily hidden rust. Hope some of this heps. Good luck with your purchase.

Don 8)

jk89cat

i cant beleive no one caught one thing, it has the mustang script on the front fenders, i thought all gt/cs werent supposed to have that .

Mosesatm

[quote author=jk89cat link=board=1;threadid=1945;start=0#msg12938 date=1122644016]
i cant beleive no one caught one thing, it has the mustang script on the front fenders, i thought all gt/cs werent supposed to have that .
[/quote]

The Mustang script is correct. GT/CSs do not have the running horse emblems.

OP
OP
L

Lawrence

Thanks for the advice, this is really helpful. I will call them today and ask them a few more questions. I will also ask them what happened to the other pictures. I asked for pictures of the underside and trunk, and I am still waiting. The reason I asked the trunk is that they sent me one with the trunk open, and when I told them it looked like rust in it since it was all "orange" looking, they replied it was impossible, that the trunk was completely black. They probably had to go and get a can of black spray paint before taking the picture ;)

Mosesatm

BTY I forgot to mention that the dash is out of a '67. The '67 deluxe dash was aluminum while the '68 deluxe dash was wood grain. Not a big deal to change it out but just another bargaining point.

OP
OP
L

Lawrence

[quote author=Mosesatm link=board=1;threadid=1945;start=0#msg12942 date=1122646778]
BTY I forgot to mention that the dash is out of a '67. The '67 deluxe dash was aluminum while the '68 deluxe dash was wood grain. Not a big deal to change it out but just another bargaining point.
[/quote]

Thanks everyone, good learning lesson for me. It looks like it has been pieced together, yikes. Now I am curious about the original parts, especially the wheels. He said he "just" put the edelbrock on, hopefully he still has the originals, after all it must have had wheels on when he got it. BTW, here is the picture of the trunk I was talking about earlier, does it look funny to you or is it some sort of strange light reflection? Also noticed that the side marker is orange and red, and all the pictures I could find in the gallery show all red markers.

Attachments

• Trunk.JPG
    Trunk.JPG
    54.8 KB · Views: 10

Mustanglvr

You`re definitely going to have to ask for another pic of that trunk from a different angle or check it out in person. The color looks a little off for being black.
Although, its an obvious place, I don`t think they`d lie about it since it is an easy place to look. Rhonda

bbeatty

[quote author=Lawrence link=board=1;threadid=1945;start=15#msg12945 date=1122649917]
[quote author=Mosesatm link=board=1;threadid=1945;start=0#msg12942 date=1122646778]

[/quote]

Also noticed that the side marker is orange and red, and all the pictures I could find in the gallery show all red markers.
[/quote]

The side marker shows up that way many times in photo's, especially when the photographer is using flash. Nothing to worry about at all.

390cs68rcode

you could find one that is more correct for under 15k.

that car has been around the internet and it seems like people are buying it and reselling it.