• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Correct Alternator Question

somethingspecial

Since I restored my S code GT/CS, I have heard several points of view on the Correct alternator and it's pulley. When I first restored the car, I was told by a VERY Reputable supplier the correct alternator is a 55 amp, Double pulley version. I ordered one, complete with the correct Autolite RED stamp on the side. During one MCA show, I was told I should only have a single pulley on the alternator. (Only one slot is used on the pulley due to the Thermactor Air pump robbing the second belt.)

QUESTIONS:

The car is a GT390, 4 Speed, power steering, power brake, smog car. NO Air Conditioning.

1) Should it have a 38 amp. or a 55 amp. alternator?

2) Should it have a single pulley or a Double pulley? The 55 amp. is suppossed to have a double pulley according to the factory shop manual, and the Ford Parts Identifier book calls for a double pulley unless the car has Air.

3) Are the Autolite stamps on the Alternator color specific to the amperage, ie 38 amp. stamp color Purple, 42 amp. stamp Orange, 55 amp stamp color Red, etc.?

4) or is the stamp all one color (RED) and the end of the pulley shaft marked with an appropriate color dab, ie Purple, Orange, Red. etc.?

Thanks for any help you can provide. Just trying to confirm it is correct or not, and try to correct it if it is not.

robert campbell

Mike,
Foggy in my mind, but Val's 1967 Fastback is a 390 GTA car. It had a single pulley setup on it. In my experience the only double pulleys I have come across were on 1968 Cobra Jet cars.

But I am curious to see what other people have seen. I only have been around a few big block Fords in my career.

Rob