• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Overheating

darb

Summer is here - and for the first time I've been noticing some interesting problems.

While driving out around on the freeways, decent 1 hour trips with marginal traffic here and there I've noticed my temperature gauge has pinged at H - and when I arrive at my destination the overflow is spewing boiling water and steam everywhere for a long period of time.

I top off the radiator, and then drive again - and get home..same thing. Done this three days in a row now, and it's never happened before.

Any tips? Is it just the heat? Maybe something is wrong? Ideas appreciated!

Brad

68sunlitgold

Darb,
is the thermostat sticking or there one in it? If it is sticking open (same as not having one in) the water does not have enough time to cool while in the radiator so you will get overheating. Just a first place to look.
Doug

CJ

General maintenance consists of things that should be done regardless of problem, and easy and obvious steps. Make the following observations while the vehicle is not hot or running. Note that these steps combined should take a few minutes, but they can save costly and embarrassing mis-diagnosis:
Coolant full?
Coolant mixture OK? Hydrometer reading ok, color ok, no oil in coolant?
Radiator deposits? Drain enough coolant to see some of the tube ends.
Radiator cap OK (no cracks and swelling)
Radiator has clean air flow path? Bugs? Leaves? Clogged air conditioning coils in front of it?
Radiator dented or otherwise obviously damaged?
Hoses OK? Feel them.
Coolant in oil? Yellow gunk on oil filler cap?
Water pump turns easily? Without excessive shaft play? Any signs of leakage?
Belts OK, with reasonable tension?
Evidence of freeze plug leaks?
Head gasket bolts appear loose?
Now some observations with the engine running:
Thermostat work? (detect increased pressure by squeezing hose, or observe coolant flow in a radiator drained of a few inches of coolant)
Heater work? Heater hoses hot?
Radiator flow? View flow after draining a few inches of coolant. More rigorous tests require removal of the radiator.
Bubbles? Look for bubbles or foam in the coolant in the radiator. If so, there might be a head gasket problem. The block tester or smog sniffer will tell.
Steam from exhaust? If so, suspect head gasket problem.
Pressure test OK?
Block tester or smog sniffer reveal combustion gasses in coolant?
I'm well aware that the combustion gas test has a significant cost attached to it, but I have still included it in General Maintenance. The cost of misdiagnosing a broken head gasket is so severe that I believe it warrants the combustion gas test in all but the most obvious cases. Even in cases where a definitive cause is found, such as a broken fan belt, remember that the overheat could have consequently broken the head gasket. Obviously, if steam out the exhaust or coolant in the oil reveals a broken head gasket, you know you have a broken head gasket without doing the combustion gas test.
The few minutes and dollars spent on these tests greatly increase the chance of an accurate diagnosis and estimate. Once again, remember that overheats are likely to cause consequential damage, some of which in and of themselves can cause overheats. It's therefore common for an overheat to be found to have multiple causes.

Good Luck

CJ

BrandonB

I JUST fixed mine, What I did was

1. Flush radiator AND engine block

2. Pressure checked radiator and cap

3. Checked my timing

4. Bought a 3 row radiator

I ended up having a crapped out radiator, but I checked everything else before that.

carvensno

ya, common mistake is that people just put regular tap water to mix with anifreeze instead of distilled water that has all of the minerals and crap filtered out.So after many yrs of calcium built up and other crap, it time to buy a new radiator. :p