• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Mufflers

JohnnyQuest515

Curious who are using Flowmaster 40 mufflers on their CS? I have a dual exhaust setup but want some more growl, it is fairly tame to me.

Thanks, Randy

CougarCJ

Are those the two chamber designed ones?

To me, two chambered mufflers have an annoying drone at certain engine rpm's.

I have Dynomax, 3 chamber mufflers on my 1968 Cougar. Very happy with the tone and low rumble.

OP
OP
JohnnyQuest515

JohnnyQuest515

Yeah, the 40 is the two chamber, they make a 3 chamber but not familiar with how they sound.

I'm looking for the low tone, not really loud ...

Randy

robert campbell

I have 2 chamber 40 series on mine. My saying for years has been "louder is better"! Now that I am a bit older.... Not so much.... And it is very loud in the backseat, plus I added sound deadener! I agree with the "drone" at certain RPM's...

I may try to quiet this dude down a bit.... I have not been around the 3 chamber ones to see if they are much quieter.

nfrntau

I also have the 40 series on mine. Loud, I'm looking to go to a 3 chamber. I prefer to hear the stereo while cruising also. The engine sounds great but tunes are a nice addition. If you want loud and plenty of growl go with the 40 series.
My car has sound deadener throughout also.

OP
OP
JohnnyQuest515

JohnnyQuest515

Decided to go with the Flowmaster 40 series delta, refined version of the original with aggressive sound but less resonance inside.

Randy

Perkchiro

What's the part # on your mufflers? Is it 942041? Thanks, I'm thinking of these for my car.

Perkchiro

Thanks Randy, let us know how you like them. I installed my exhaust system as a kit and the turbo mufflers were included. Don't know the brand name but there's a lot of interior noise with them. They sound pretty at the end pipe though. Just thinking of upgrading.

Mustanger

Thanks Randy, let us know how you like them. I installed my exhaust system as a kit and the turbo mufflers were included. Don't know the brand name but there's a lot of interior noise with them. They sound pretty at the end pipe though. Just thinking of upgrading.

Steve, Randy,
I can tell you guys that I like mine ... I don't remember the number off the top of my head, but they're the Delta-Flow FM's, but in stainless steel ... they were a little more (I found a smokin' deal on the internet) but they are warrantied to 10 yrs vs the 1 yr on the regular galvanized mufflers ... yeah, they sound great - not too loud, and I used to own years ago an '89 GT with the original 40 series mufflers ... now those were loud, but they were fun and I also didn't mind them back then :wink: ...

CougarCJ

The warranty comment made me smile. :smile:

The 1969 Cougar XR7 in my signature has it's original exhaust system, headpipe - H pipe - mufflers - tips, all of it. I only replaced the rotten tire sidewall material on the hangers.