• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Need to transport a car? NY to CA

Diesel Donna

If all goes as planned I will be bringing an empty car trailer from western New York to Southern California in late May or early June. If you are thinking of buying a car in the general area or somewhere on my route back...I'd be happy to haul it for you.We can negotiate a price that's fair.

~~~~Donna

rvrtrash

Donna, there is a guy on another board I visit that will be picking up a car in California and heading back to Ohio with an empty trailer. He's making the same kind of inquiries as you. Email me off list if you think it would be useful if I put the two of you together.
Steve

OP
OP
Diesel Donna

Diesel Donna

Steve,
I will be trailering my late Dad's F250 from CA to NY in the third week of May so that's why I will be coming back empty. I have to buy a trailer to handle the weight of the truck too.Nobody rents one that can haul a truck.
I also have to go there to pick up a lot of things from Dad's garage so I need my truck for that. Thanks anyhow, I appreciate it.
~~~Donna

OP
OP
Diesel Donna

Diesel Donna

rvrtrash said:
Donna, there is a guy on another board I visit that will be picking up a car in California and heading back to Ohio with an empty trailer.
Steve

How can he be going to Ohio with an empty trailer if he is picking up the car in California? Just wondering...or am I missing something.

68gt390

Donna;
Plan on stopping at the Alton Ohio RV Camp again off of Route 40 on this trip?
If so email me before you leave and I'll furnish you our address and phone number. Maybe we can plan a get together while your out this way.

Don

OP
OP
Diesel Donna

Diesel Donna

Don,
I won't have the fifth wheel trailer with me this time but I can get a room someplace there. Go ahead and email me your info and I'll keep you posted as to the dates I will be traveling. (I know I have a friend I have to go see in Cleveland or she will never forgive me.) It would be a pleasure to meet you.

~~~~Donna

rvrtrash

Diesel Donna said:
How can he be going to Ohio with an empty trailer if he is picking up the car in California? Just wondering...or am I missing something.

Sorry, got my directions mixed up. I should wake up before logging in. By the way, I'm suprised you can't rent a trailer. My F250 Diesel weighs 7000 pounds and most of the car trailers around here will handle that.

Mustanglvr

See if you can stop here to see me too Donna. I know Minnesota is out of your way, but just in case you get this far north.

OP
OP
Diesel Donna

Diesel Donna

rvrtrash said:
Sorry, got my directions mixed up. I should wake up before logging in. By the way, I'm suprised you can't rent a trailer. My F250 Diesel weighs 7000 pounds and most of the car trailers around here will handle that.

You must have a dually? My F350 only weighs 5400 ( I think). Dad's truck weighs less than that and I called the local rental yards and their GVWR is for cars only. What rental companies do you have there? Are they nationwide companies? Are you still coming to AZ in March? If so, where? Thanks Steve.

OP
OP
Diesel Donna

Diesel Donna

Mustanglvr said:
See if you can stop here to see me too Donna. I know Minnesota is out of your way, but just in case you get this far north.

Rhonda I would love to go to Minnesota, haven't been there in many many years but it is too far out of the way. But I am always up for a road trip so you never know about me! I have to go through Joplin, MO. in both directions to see my sister. (Or she'll kill me)

Mosesatm

Diesel Donna said:
I have to go through Joplin, MO. in both directions

Spent 9 months there building a frozen food warehouse for Pillsbury. It's an....um.....well it's kind of an......interesting town.:rolleyes: :grin:

rvrtrash

Diesel Donna said:
You must have a dually? My F350 only weighs 5400 ( I think). Dad's truck weighs less than that and I called the local rental yards and their GVWR is for cars only. What rental companies do you have there? Are they nationwide companies? Are you still coming to AZ in March? If so, where? Thanks Steve.

Nope, not a dually, just an extended cab diesel. I didn't know what to make of the weights listed on my door (5000 plus front, 6000 plus rear, 8800 gross) so I went to a scale and weighed it and it was 7040 lbs. We have U-haul and a bunch of locals but because every other person up here has a 4 wheel drive truck, the locals have some heavy trailers. Try going to a rental yard that rents tractors, bobcats, that sort of thing, and see if they will rent a trailer for a week. As for the Arizona trip, my girlfriend got sick with the flu and used up her time so we had to cancel. I was really looking forward to it, but decided going without her wouldn't be my best choice.:grin:
Steve

OP
OP
Diesel Donna

Diesel Donna

rvrtrash said:
Nope, not a dually, just an extended cab diesel. I didn't know what to make of the weights listed on my door (5000 plus front, 6000 plus rear, 8800 gross) so I went to a scale and weighed it and it was 7040 lbs. We have U-haul and a bunch of locals but because every other person up here has a 4 wheel drive truck, the locals have some heavy trailers. Try going to a rental yard that rents tractors, bobcats, that sort of thing, and see if they will rent a trailer for a week. As for the Arizona trip, my girlfriend got sick with the flu and used up her time so we had to cancel. I was really looking forward to it, but decided going without her wouldn't be my best choice.:grin:
Steve

Yeah I didn't know what to make of my weights listed either. Right above the rear weight rate it says GVWR 9900...but I seriously doubt that it can weigh that much.Maybe they mean with a load. I was thinking of taking it to a scale too.GVWR on a big rig is 80,000 and that means the tractor, trailer and load. U-Haul is the one who told me what they thought my truck weighed. Mine is a crew cab. I also thought about going to a construction rental yard but they may need a gooseneck style or pintle hook hitch. I would need to rent for more than a week....NOW my stepmom is thinking about selling the truck in California..like I told her to do in the first place!
My other option I might do is to tow my Suburban with Dad's truck cause that one fits on the trailer I have access to. The weight and the length won't be a problem.
Ummm yeah Steve, going on vacation without the girlfriend would probably be suicide.

~~~~Donna

rvrtrash

If your mom is thinking of selling it anyway, I'd definately sell it in place. It would save a lot of expense and hassle. If you do need to tow it, towing your vehicle and then bringing back an empty trailer seems like the right way to do it.
Steve

OP
OP
Diesel Donna

Diesel Donna

Two more weeks and I leave CA for NY.....anyone need a car hauled from east to west? You have til about the end of May to let me know.

~~~~Donna

still looking for one

You need a wider audience than just us folks I think

Diesel Donna said:
Two more weeks and I leave CA for NY.....anyone need a car hauled from east to west? You have til about the end of May to let me know.

~~~~Donna

Hi DD

Seems to me you really know what you are doing, and have the experience to do something like this safely (Is that where the "Diesel" comes from in the avatar)..that said, you need a broader market than Californiaspecial.com to advertise this opportunity your'e offering.:smile:

How about checking ebay and offering an auction, with a reasonable reserve or opening bid, if the description is enticing and well written, and importantly, placed on the ebaymotors site, IN THE RIGHT PLACE, under whatever heading, autoshippers or whatever, and assuming your insurance, bonding or whatever necessary, is in place, it would be a nifty way for you to have the trip paid for, since you don't need to come back empty. Hundreds of cars bought by ebayers will need to have shipping arranged east to west, and if you get the word out, somehow, it could work out well....Dependable Autoshippers (DAS) gets a lot of this sort of business because a lot of ebay dealers use them as a LINK, but that co. is not the best or cheapest.

I believe about $1000 is about average coast to coast price for transportation these days; A few years ago I helped an ebayer in Chicago get a '80 Mercedes 300SD diesel to her, and she paid I think $700 -$800 for trans. in an uncovered "Portable Parking Lot":wink: which was a reduced price because she had to be last on the list of 7-8 cars, so the car went to North Carolina and Maryland, I think, before it got to Chicago, and it was filthy when it got to her. But it worked. Don't know if you will transport the car uncovered or not. But it could work for you. The ad practically writes itself.

A quick 7 day auction for this service on ebay might just do the trick. Just an off the wall thought.

Any reaction?

I hang out a lot at mercedesshop.com and could put in a good word there for you, those bad boys are buying and selling cars to each other fairly frequently....(hundreds of daily Mercedes posts on their forum each day)

Wish I could "babysit" the GT/CS for you:grin: :grin: while you are away

BTW, ever thought of putting a picture of your '70 procar in the gallery.

Is it a Miller/Meteor, M&M. Superior, Superior, sideloader or??

I never actually saw them, but there were a couple in the SF Calif. bay area I HEARD about, one of them had a chrome plated hangman's noose swinging in the rear window :grin:
and the other got a mention in the late Herb Caen's Column in the San Francisco Chronicle 'cause it had the PERFECT California personalized plate for a hearse: 4U 1DAY

haha

Jim B.

OP
OP
Diesel Donna

Diesel Donna

Jim,
I had considered making the offer to the general public but I would rather not.I just wanted to help anyone on our CS/HCS family website here for probably the cost of gas.
There are pictures of my S&S (Sayers and Scovill) Cadillac endloader on another thread here someplace, I forgot which one though. The best hearse plate I saw said "DEAD SLED". Mine will be MED SLED. Since CA can use the red heart symbol on their plates I had considered getting "NO (heart) BEAT"...but that may have offended somebody. The car is 21 feet long, very low with skirts (thus, the car is a "she"), and is a 54" high top. I get her out of the hospital today, she had a facelift, LOL. :grin:

~~~~Donna

Last edited:

still looking for one

OFF TOPIC to the '68 Specials......

I like those Procars, they have a small but dedicated Die hard (no pun intended) following.
(Professional Car Society). Probably you missed the 11/02 Autoweek article on them, I actually have one, send PM and I can photocopy it 4u if you are interested.

Your address is across the border in Arizona but if you can get Calif personalised plates, for your cars (68 Again is a GOOD one, classy, witty)

I have had a few bouts with the California DMV, and THEY are the only people you should worry about offending. F*** 'em if they can't take a joke, and all too often they can't. Can't offend those strident minorities promoting Lesbian theatre groups and companies that need to hire more whales, etc....

NO (heart) BEAT sounds like a hoot!!! Perfect!! Go for it; it's a subtle riff on the Chevrolet riff Heartbeat of America. (THAT heartbeat of America has arrythmia LOL. The red heart really shows off well on the Calif. plates.. (I had WE (heart) PERU on the late '91 Volvo sedan when I was married & it got attention & we met Peruvian Americans in it) Unless you already ordered MED SLED, that is good one. (No such thing is DEAD SLED 'cause it is 8 figures and CA plates only have room for seven...)

Happy to hear it is "resuscitated" no pun intended (again).

Ya know, DD, I have always loved the 1970 de villes, I know them well, and used to borrow a Sedan DV from an elderly neighbor friend. back in the early 70's, my antediluvian ones in grad. school in Sacramento, they were the last of the pre-smog high compression 472ci Caddies, perfect cars for impressing ** a hot date (well anyway I thought so at the time!!) if you could stand about 5-9 mpg on premium dino juice. A truly quality vehicle, "The standard of the World" was a slogan that I grew up with and still held value in 1970.

But then came the Cadillac Cimarron (There are 2 ways to induce vomiting, one: 2 fingers down the throat two: Good long look at the Cadillac Cimarron)

Then, the V 8-6-4 devilles of 1981. How the mighty hath fallen.

They are coming back, though. But not as a procar. The Ford E350 has had the ambulances locked up for years.

Remember Bud Cort's '59 Cad. hearse in "Harold & Maude" with the Cat Stevens soundtrack? And then there's the Ghostbusters "ECTO-1" '59 procar. Those '59's were over the top !!!

Suggested license plate holder slogan "You stab 'em, we slab 'em" or "You plug 'em, we plant 'em"

Jim B.

**If I wanted to "impress" someone TODAY, in this moderately blessed year of our Ford, I would be more inclined to stick the barrel of a .45 down their throat and ear back the hammer

thx Elmore Leonard

OP
OP
Diesel Donna

Diesel Donna

Dear Elmore,
Well I must be wrong on the spelling of the Dead Sled but that's what it implied..maybe it was DED SLED. I am actually a resident of CA. I live smack on the border of AZ and CA, on the Colorado River. I do business on both sides of the lake.Can license whereever I choose to. MED SLED was not taken in either state so that's what I ordered because that's the first words out of my mouth (after I said OH MY GOD!) when I first saw the car. The reason I didn't take No (heart) Beat was because I didn't want to offend someone who had lost a loved one due to a heart attack or something like that.....it was very funny to me but I am sensitive to others feelings.Actually BEAT was taken so I would have had to have it spelled BEET. And the reference to a Chevy????? Um....This does happen to be a GM product!
I hated to give up my New York plates on it because that was what the '59 Ecto had. I have several toys and models of old ambulances. Your suggestions of license plate frames would not do because they would be more appropriate on a hearse. Believe it or not,lots of people get hearses and ambulances mixed up, and then there is the Combo Car...which is used for both.Thanks for the thoughts though. I am a member of the ProCar Society, and they have featured my car in their newsletter. I did not see the Autoweek article.
Maybe a good plate frame would be, My other car is a California Special! I'll tell ya, that 472 puts a hurt on my wallet. But it's absolutely worth all the fun.

~~~~Donna :ghostride

still looking for one

Who is Elmore Leonard?author Elmore Leonard not me. Wish he was

:grin: I was attributing the remarks to author Elmore Leonard
on the subject of cars and impressing people with them:

Paraphrasing as best as I can remember:The (bad guy) had, at one time or another, in his life, about 255 different cars. From a TR 3 to a '55 Chevy.All stolen.

A car was something to you picked up to get from here to there, to pick up a little money...

"Nah, I never used a car to impress anybody....Shit, you wanna impress someone,,