• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

ELECTRICAL DEMAND

davidathans

I just got a new die hard gold battery and a chevy 1-wire alternator rated at 120 Amps. The alternator has a built in voltage regulator. Even with 120 Amp capacity im having electrical issues...

How much current do the headlamps draw when on?

How much current do the lucas fog lamps draw?

How much current do the brake lights draw?

My problem is...
When i step on the brake pedal, my stereo seems to cut in and out depending on if im on the brakes. Perhaps there is a short somewhere in those sockets in the rear tailights?

Anyone have this same problem?

I have an electric fan now that draws 20 amps, an electric fuel pump that draws around 10 amps, i have an electronic ignition system, i have a 1 farad capacitor, two 600Watt Peak amplifiers, and some aftermarket guages with lights. I have replaced the main headlight loom, but not the rear tailight loom or any wires behind the dash. When i put on the turn signal, my voltage guage fluctuates almost 1 full volt when the signal is on, whats up with that?

normally when i've had the stereo cutting out problem, i have replaced the seperate voltage regulator, but now its built into the alternator so i dont know what to do...I really feel like I should just go through the entire system and replace everything.

Any advice, experience, or comments are greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
David

rvrtrash

Check to make sure you have a braided flat copper wire from the rear of the engine to the firewall and the connections are good. I had similar problems on another car and that ground wire was broken. The car body was grounding through the rear end to the driveline-tranny-engine. When a U-joint started to go bad it would break the circuit when I braked or accelerated and everything would shut off momentarily. As for what everything draws, fuses are normally rated at 50% above normal current draw to compensate for inrush (startup) current.
Steve

hookedtrout

[quote author=davidathans link=board=1;threadid=1991;start=0#msg13218 date=1123273189]
I just got a chevy 1-wire alternator rated at 120 Amps. [/quote]

Chevy? :eek: There's your problem! ;D

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Hook