• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1966-67 HCS brake pedal - manual vs power brakes

66hcs-conv

Hi all,

Is there a difference in the brake pedals on a manual brake car vs. a power brake car. And if so, what is the difference?

I am trying to update my present power drum brake set up to a dual master cylinder configuration, keeping the power drum brakes.

Problem is, I don't know if the car originally came with power brakes or were added some time in the past 50 years. AND if they were added, was it necessary to change the brake pedal?

Thanks for your help, Dave

franklinair

I'm not familiar with '66. '67 & '68 PB pedals are longer than standard brake pedals.
I would think that if you are merely adding the dual bowl MC to an already installed PB booster no changes are necessary (except plumbing the MC lines to the front/rear brake lines.)

Neil

OP
OP
66hcs-conv

66hcs-conv

Neil & all,

I noticed on website www.mustangsteve.com (hope it's OK if I mention the site) that he says there is no difference in brake pedals. The only differences is a car with an auto trans having a wider brake pedal.

BUT in conversation with a guy @ Scott Drake, I was told very emphatically (to put it mildly) that there is a difference in brake pedals, although the guy couldn't tell me what the difference is.

I did check into just adding a 67-68 dual master cylinder and consensus is that it won't fit - either runs into the shock tower or the caps interfere with the fender brace.

Thanks for your reply. I'm gonna keep after this & will let ya know what I find.

Dave

GreenSpark

The brake lever arm is different on a manual versus automatic transmission (space for 3 pedals versus two).

The only difference in the brake foot pad is that it will either be plain rubber (for front drums) or have the "power disc" emblem in it (for front discs).

Your detailed Marti report should say if you had front discs.

OP
OP
66hcs-conv

66hcs-conv

"Your detailed Marti report should say if you had front discs."

I appreciate your reply. However, the Marti report is only available for 1967 and newer.

Thanks, Dave