• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

I need your help; for my GT/CS Registry Book

P

PNewitt

I have just reorganized the pages of both the 1988 and 1996 editions of GT/CS Registry (Recognition Guide and Owner's Manual). This involved photocopying all those pages, and then cut and paste (in the real sense) on new mockup pages. The page count for the new book is now 150 pages, including either expanded areas, or new material to create this large page count. Between lots of information, and all-new scans of the photos (including some possibly in color), this ought to be quite an awesome book!!

I don't want to reveal too much, but I will need some assistance. There are some odds and ends that I need help with. I will also be going over the 50 or so pages of this forum to look for anything worthy of using in the book. If you provided something that I use, I will give you credit in the aknowledgements (I will e-mail you for your real name, etc.). If you know of where these things are, just post it here, or e-mail me through this forum.

Some items or information may have been previously listed in this forum (such as the Marchal photos), and I'll need the specific URL. Thanks for all your help!

1. Does anyone know the exact date that Shelby American left LAX, and went to Michigan, and formed Shelby Automotive?
What issue of the Shelby American (SAAC) has those photos of the front of the A.O. Smith office? Anyone know where I could find an aerial view of A.O. Smith in Ionia, Mich.? Any aerial view photos of the San Jose assembly plant?

2. I need some photos of a concours-quality 1968 coupe next to a GT/CS. Side by side, shot from the front, side, rear, and a 3/4 view. These are comparison photos. Everything must be stock. Use a flash as a fill, too. Color prints, or digital (300dpi, 4x5, color) will work.

3. I need a very good close up photo of a Lucas light pedistal rubber grommet (with a ruler next to it for scale).

4. I need scans of the large color HCS brochure (or very good close up photos) that says: "The West Made it Happen". I need both sides.

5. I need a photo of a concours-looking 6 cylinder engine photo (in the car). Stock, with air cleaner, etc.

6. Anyone have a few good photo of a 428CJ in a GT/CS (or HCS?) Bob?? (also use a fill in flash).

7. I need to know who has a totally optioned-out GT/CS. Including the courtesy lights on the dash, deluxe interior, etc., etc. I need photos for descriptions of factory and dealer options.

8. Does anyone have photos of a "repro" GT/CS? I need not only the photos, but permission from the owner to use them for the book, describing "fakes".

9. Anyone have a sunroof in their GT/CS or HCS? I need photos.

10. Who races their GT/CS on a track? A vintage racer--I need photos!

11. I need photos of an assembled GT/CS model kit (1/24th) by mini-exotics (and the die-cast when it comes out).

12. I have someone that I'll use for this, but photos of a ground-up restoration are welcome. I need close-ups of the holes drilled or cut for the CS parts, on a primered shell.

13. Photos of the "wrong' Marchal light.

14. I need to confirm the dimentions of the foam tape on the decklid ends. Could anyone who has a good (non-shrunk) seal measure it?

15. Question-- are the stainless steel screws on the rear window trim the same, as those on the front of the side scoops (2).?? Do they have the same angle of bevel at the top?

16. I need photos of anyone who has '67-'68 type ten-spokes on their GT/CS (nice side view photo. Anyone have the Shelby five-spokes on their GT/CS? (the same as the '69 Shelby?).

That's about it.
Thanks for all your help!!
Paul M. Newitt.

rvrtrash

Paul, I'm still trying to get my video on a DVD for you. The first attempt, the guy put it on a DVD +R, which wouldn't play in my player so I'm having it redone in DVD -R. Anyway, I'll also include a CD of my restoration, which has some of what you want and if no one here comes forward, I'll remove one of my Lucas lights and photograph the washer. I'll also pull a rear window screw and scoop screw and photograph them also.
Steve

390cs68rcode

2. I need some photos of a concours-quality 1968 coupe next to a GT/CS. Side by side, shot from the front, side, rear, and a 3/4 view. These are comparison photos. Everything must be stock. Use a flash as a fill, too. Color prints, or digital (300dpi, 4x5, color) will work.

I can provide this if needed. I would not be able to get the photos taken until the last few days of this year, I am on vacation soon.

case12

Paul, according to Fred Goodell, "Shelby Automotive was formed in September, 1967 and was incorporated in Michigan. We actually moved everything from California in December of that year. We started building cars at A.O. Smith immediately". This is from SAAC #53 Casey

CJ 56

HI Paul, not sure if this is of interest but my CS serialised 02/01/68,Bucked 2/08/68, bult 02/13/68. 289, Auto,factory air, PS, PB, floor consul etc, but the interesting thing it has a factory Tach dashboard, which I think is odd for a stock production car, my Marti Elite report say it is one of 8 built to the spec and all built at the same time. Was a Tacho dash common, I thought they where reseved for Big block manuals. Marti report say the 8 where stock orders, not customer orders.

I have been talking to Jason about this too, will see him when he is in NZ.

CJ

OP
OP
P

PNewitt

Hi CJ,

You "might" have one of the eight GT/CS cars used at the grand opening on Feb 15th, 1968 at the Century City. We need to check this out! What color is your car? They might have optioned-out those cars for the Ford Dealer show. Who knows? The in-dash tach might have been a potential Shelby-like option for the GT/CS, regardless of auto or stick transmission, that was dropped. Interesting!

On another note, I need one more thing: I need a list of all the GT/CS cars that are in featured in Mustang magazines (Mustang Monthly, Mustang Illustrated, etc.). I need the issue (month, year), pages, and who the owner(s) is/are. I need this from 1996 to present.

I would certainly appreciate anything anyone could provide.

Paul Newitt

Mosesatm

My old GT/CS had a factory tach in it with a 289 2V and a 4-speed. In fact, the tach and the 4-speed were the only options on the car. Very strange combination. It was Highland Green and is listed in the '88 Registry. 168857

PFSlim

Paul

I don't see anything on the list that I can help out with except the fact that we already submitted the photo's of our restoration. If there is something else we can do, we stand ready to help.

Paul

390cs68rcode

You "might" have one of the eight GT/CS cars used at the grand opening on Feb 15th, 1968 at the Century City. We need to check this out! What color is your car?

now this is interesting. Big cool factor if we could confirm this somehow.

case12

CJ 56 said:
HI Paul, not sure if this is of interest but my CS serialised 02/01/68,Bucked 2/08/68, bult 02/13/68. 289, Auto,factory air, PS, PB, floor consul etc, but the interesting thing it has a factory Tach dashboard, which I think is odd for a stock production car, my Marti Elite report say it is one of 8 built to the spec and all built at the same time. Was a Tacho dash common, I thought they where reseved for Big block manuals. Marti report say the 8 where stock orders, not customer orders.

I have been talking to Jason about this too, will see him when he is in NZ.

CJ

Chris, what is the VIN and door tag info? It would be interesting to chase this one down. Casey

Diesel Donna

Okay...FINALLY I get to help with something.

1. Mustang Illustrated August 1998 Page 54 "Knott's Knotes"
The pictured trophy was awarded to me by Bob McClurg (Editor) for Most Outstanding Female Owned Mustang.This was a first time annual award. Picture of me and the car is on page 57.

Incidentally in the same issue is a list of the Top 20 Vintage Mustangs , and number 10 is a GT/CS! This is on page 73.

2. Mustang Illustrated May 1998 Page 3, right inside the front cover is a small picture of me with my CS and pedal car. On page 72 is a feature article on my car called "The Easy Trail".
All I wanted to do was get into the issue they have every year called Girls Just Want To Have Fun...with a 1/4 page picture but he ran out of room and offered me a feature instead! Boy was I thrilled! :icon_ecst I was SO happy to represent our GT/CS's even though it is no concourse car.

My car is in other various background pictures for Knott's and Rte. 66 Rendezvous but I have no idea where they are right now.

Just my .02 cents for what it is worth.
~~~~Donna

Last edited:

CJ 56

Hi Guys

quite a bit of interest in my early CS, even has the pained rear side markers droped on the 19th of feb.

Original colour was Meadowlary Yellow, it is now red, previous owner painted it, ( minor detail)

Vin is 8R01C141312

Build info 65A W 2A 13B 71 2 W

I have been chatting off line with Jason as he is comming to NZ next week, just sorting a few things for him locally. Going to meet him with the car and the Marti Elite report, will have a copy for him to take back to the US. He has some pics of her too. ( no bonnet pins and the underneath is welded up )

The plot thickens

CJ

68gt390

Paul;
I will be contacting the manufactuer of the diecast model early next week. I will talk to them about several items. What I would like to do is see if they will allow copies (photo's) of the molds etc. to be used in your book. I currently have info I would like to put here on the site but, until I get their approval I cannot at this point. :sad:

Don

case12

"California Specials: A Rare and Collectable Pony", Guide to Muscle Cars, October 1986. A nice magazine article showing all the features in pictures of the GT/CS (some data is incorrect). 3 cars are featured: owners were Phyllis Crouch, Dave Redding, Ed Schlecht.

Casey

case12

CJ 56 said:
Hi Guys

quite a bit of interest in my early CS, even has the pained rear side markers droped on the 19th of feb.

Original colour was Meadowlary Yellow, it is now red, previous owner painted it, ( minor detail)

Vin is 8R01C141312

Build info 65A W 2A 13B 71 2 W

I have been chatting off line with Jason as he is comming to NZ next week, just sorting a few things for him locally. Going to meet him with the car and the Marti Elite report, will have a copy for him to take back to the US. He has some pics of her too. ( no bonnet pins and the underneath is welded up )

The plot thickens

CJ

CJ, This is interesting. My car was serialized 2/5, bucked 2/19, scheduled 2/15, built 2/21, released 2/22. So our cars were serialized, and bucked within days of each other.

What date was your car released? What does your Elite report say for "Order Type"?

Casey

CJ 56

HI Guys and Ladies ( forgot last time)

Another interesting thing that has just poped up on the Marti- order Type thread from John P

i thought it was :

Stock: dealer order for stock
Retail: customer ordered
Basic off Standard Equipment: promotional or event cars?

My Elete says my CS being one of 8 is a Basic off - Standard Equipment, which if Johns information is correct it was a promotional car. It does fall in the build dates of the promotional cars for the CS launch and it was not sold untill November 68 which promotional cars would be kept to the end of the promotion.

What we need to find out is, where all promotional cars Meadowlark Yellow

CJ

case12

CJ 56 said:
HI Guys and Ladies ( forgot last time)

Another interesting thing that has just poped up on the Marti- order Type thread from John P

i thought it was :

Stock: dealer order for stock
Retail: customer ordered
Basic off Standard Equipment: promotional or event cars?

My Elete says my CS being one of 8 is a Basic off - Standard Equipment, which if Johns information is correct it was a promotional car. It does fall in the build dates of the promotional cars for the CS launch and it was not sold untill November 68 which promotional cars would be kept to the end of the promotion.

What we need to find out is, where all promotional cars Meadowlark Yellow

CJ

CJ - My elite report says Basic Off-Standard Equipment too, and I havent seen any of these in the gallery. I dont know if that makes a car promotional or not, as I have heard of some owners having the term "promotional" as Order Type in their report as well - I guess that is what we are trying to figure out.

As for color, there were quite a few colors at the san francisco show: white, red, aqua, blue and green (maybe yellow - hard to tell from the small color pictures)

The thing to look for is how the "California Special" is positioned on the fender. Since they were special made for the promotion, they were hand mounted higher than the production cars. Casey

68sunlitgold

Mustangs in magazines

Paul,
this is from Dave Hammers 66 Mustang Tech site, it lets you search through: Mustang Monthly, Mustang & Fords, & Mustang Illustrated you can type in GT/CS (or HCS) and it will give you a complete list of what Mag, date & page it is on.

Doug

http://www.hammar.dyndns.org/magsrch.htm

IF you need I have done the search and can provide you with the list.

rvrtrash

Hey Paul, this probably won't be good enough for your book, because my camera is an antique and the grommet is a little worn, but here's a couple of pics anyway.
Steve

Attachments

• grommet1.jpg
    grommet1.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 27
  • grommet2.jpg
    grommet2.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 34
  • grommet3.jpg
    grommet3.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 28
  • grommet4.jpg