• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Shelby Club (SAAC), and the GT/CS Registry,

P

PNewitt

I know we've talked about this before, but I wanted to run this by all of you again for opinions.

My experience has been that SAAC (Shelby American Automobile Club) has been VERY supportive of the GT/CS (and '68 HCS). I think that "overall" the Shelby people have been more responsive to the GT/CS than the Mustang Clubs. I don't mean to offend any Mustang Club members, but it's just how the response has been for many years.

I know that Shelby owners "may" have an akward reception at a Mustang Club Show (although not always--as some clubs are both into the Mustangs and Shelbys). GT/CS owners sometimes have had the same response at shows.

In any case, I wanted to know where you stood on approaching SAAC to:

• include the VINs of known GT/CS cars (authenticated with orig. invoice, or Marti Report) in their new SAAC Registry book

• approach them to include a GT/CS (HCS) class at Shelby Club conventions and regional SAAC car shows.

• The GT/CS Registry would like to identify and get approval of (vintage and/or repro) Shelby items to be added to the GT/CS for car show judging. These are items that could have been available during late '68 (wheels, intakes, tri-ys, etc.). This would be optional only to the owner to do.

This may also encourage more GT/CS Owners to join SAAC (which is a very, very good idea, anyway!). I would like to donate $5 from every new GT/CS Registry book to the Carroll Shelby Children's Fund, too.

Paul N.

Herck

Re:Shelby Club (SAAC, and the GT/CS Registry,

if i understand this properly these car will be recognised by the shelby club that sounds like a great idea im in

CalPaul

Absolutely, lets do it. This would be great to get more recognition for our cars and to let people know that they share the same lineage.

CalPaul

And I'm voting with my wallet - gonna join the SAAC today (from the form in the back of the Branda catalog).

bbeatty

[quote author=PNewitt link=board=1;threadid=1985;start=0#msg13168 date=1123177796]

• approach them to include a GT/CS (HCS) class at Shelby Club conventions and regional SAAC car shows.

[/quote]

Personally, I would never want to show my car in a SAAC show.

I'd feel like I'd be going from being the star of the show to being looked at like I was someones poor cousin who was only invited to the party because he's family.

That's just me. I'm not real big on car shows to begin with.

OP
OP
P

PNewitt

I can see how you might think that--and that is your choice, but have you ever seen a Shelby de Mexico at a SAAC event? The car with everyone looking at it? Would seeing a GT/CS at a SAAC show be any less of a "Shelby-related" experience?

For what it's worth, Rick Kopec approached me for text and a photo for the 1997 SAAC World Registry. I gladly abliged.

The GT/CS project (actually called the "California Mustang" project) was designed and spec'd right along side the '68 Shelby at Shelby Automotive. The '69 Shelby side stripes and CS side stripes were designed during the same week at SA, too.

And..the Green Hornet began as a GT/CS pilot production car.

Paul N.

case12

Count me in. Not so much for shows, but for the recognition of the history of Shelby with our car (which as strong as Boss, or more...). This will be great to have the GTCS/HCS recognized for its history.

At shows I have Shelby owners coming over to my car with their mouths open. They love the GTCS. At a show 2 weeks ago I had a Shelby owner with a 67 shelby (289 w/paxton supercharger) and a Shelby owner with a 68 shelby both spending all their time admiring my GTCS because it is so rare to them. The 67 shelby guy even came by my house a week later to look at it some more!

As I tell people "Developed by Shelby, Built by Ford". Casey

OP
OP
P

PNewitt

One more thing...

What if we were able to get ALL the VINs (and DSOs only) of the ENTIRE GT/CS (and '68HCS within it) production of all 4118 cars--from Kevin Marti--and--

--this was included in the next SAAC World Registry? Just columns of VIN and DSO numbers?

Good or Bad?

Paul N.

rvrtrash

I'd say good! That would forever put to rest the question of whether the car is a clone and as info comes in, maybe all of them could be eventually accounted for, whether they are dead or alive.

CalPaul

I see only good things coming out of this. I'll even be the poor cousin at an SAAC meet (if the food is good...)

nfrntau

I don't see any negatives from being included in the SAAC. Will I run out and become a member, time will tell.

I do see a few positives.
Recognition and exposure value would go up. Not only will Pauls books be out there promoting our cars but the SAAC books will do it as well. Guys with the Shelby's would be saying "hey did you hear they included the GT/CS's in the registry? The guys who don't know what they are will look into it, find out what they are and like us, some will want one. Demand will go up, maybe a little.
For the guys that like to go to the shows, it increases the type of shows you can enter. 1 GT/CS and 20 Shelbys, all beautiful cars, which car stands out?

C160223

Good idea Paul ! I would think that if SAAC wanted to add the GT/CS to the registry, they would want all 4118 cars entered, with confirmation from a Marti report.

Gandystang

It's about time........ This can only be a win, win for our cars and the people that keep our dream cars alive.

Three chears....... hip, hip,............

meadowsdk28

I am not a car show guy, however, I can't see any downside to this. Exposure would go up, $$ would probably go up just from "guilt by association". Respectability would most assuredly go up being included in the same registry, even as a sidebar or listing. Just the mention will do some good. Why not support this?

Now I could go over to the annual SAAC show in Nashville, Indiana with my head held high!!

68gt390

[quote author=meadowsdk28 link=board=1;threadid=1985;start=15#msg13205 date=1123258953]

Now I could go over to the annual SAAC show in Nashville, Indiana with my head held high!!
[/quote]

MD28;
SAAC or not, I go to every car show with my head held high. With either CS or HCS you always keep your head high. How many shows do you go to that you see another CS or HCS. I don't know about your area but, were I'm at I usually see only 1 and that's mine.

Don ;D