• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Losing a Mustang Guy to a Mini-Cooper

meadowsdk28

A guy I work with is trading his 94 Mustang Convertible for a Mini-Cooper S Convertible. I have about 2 months to work on him and keep him from making this horrific mistake. He really liked his Mustang but feels it's dated and didn't really like the 2005. Any thoughts? Help!!

BrandonB

With all honesty I would ditch the 94 for the Mini-S any day if the 94 wasnt a GT. Dont get me wrong I love stangs I got two of 'em. Its just that a 94 isnt special and he can always find another one if he gets bored of the Mini.

Mosesatm

Has he driven the Mini yet? Most people can't put up with their gocartish (new word I just made up ;D) bone-jarring ride.

390cs68rcode

I just bought my wife a Mini for Mothers day. I can say for a only car I would pass because of the harsh ride. Don't get me wrong it is fun to drive but not as a only car. Lots of options and has a slight cool factor.

Then again modern Mustangs do nothing for me.

jk89cat

i agree late mustangs dont do much for me either, the whole fox/ sn95 chassis is not fat guy friendly and i hate how it rides

P

PNewitt

I sat in a Mini at a car show, and my knees were in my chest. I'm 6'3", and it's very gocartish (reusing a new word I just found).

I don't see a lot of empathy for your friend....sorry. Maybe when some lady sees him in a small car, it might make him get something bigger.

The word is that the Mini is a chick car. I find it more of a yuppie car out here in Calif.

Paul N.

p.s. Moses--you should make up a "gocartish car list" for us to enjoy.

nfrntau

I drove a Delorean once and it had the gocartish feel to it. It was fun but wouldn't want that for everyday. Now if it had 400hp that might be a different story.
I know I would get tired of the gocartish feel pretty quick.
Side note, even though it may be a chick car, I think they are still pretty cute little cars and wouldn't be ashamed to be seen in one.

Mosesatm

[quote author=jbsteven link=board=1;threadid=1673;start=0#msg10409 date=1115846321]
I just bought my wife a Mini for Mothers day. I can say for a only car I would pass because of the harsh ride. Don't get me wrong it is fun to drive but not as a only car. Lots of options and has a slight cool factor.
[/quote]

And for what that little BMW gocart cost you could pick up 2 small block CSs or one big block, and they won't depreciate!!! Rock solid investment.

Mustanglvr

I don`t mean to step on any toes here but... I saw a Mini-Cooper the other day. It was so little and cute. It reminded me of something I saw in a circus. :D
Rhonda

P

PNewitt

...and....uhhh....

"some CLOWN" was behind the wheel, too, right??

Mini Cooper: seats two people comfortably, or 28 CLOWNS un-comfortably! ::)

hookedtrout

Wow, interesting topic, I was thinking when my little 43 MPG Festiva with 250,000 miles deemed the "Little Runt" dies, I might look at a Cooper, maybe not now.

Made me a cute sticker for the Festiva today. It's the little pissing guy and I have him pissing on the words "Gas Prices", be sticking it on the back window as soon as it quits raining here in Idaho. Not that I want it to quit, we need the rain.

Hook

390cs68rcode

[quote author=Mosesatm link=board=1;threadid=1673;start=0#msg10435 date=1115867905]
[quote author=jbsteven link=board=1;threadid=1673;start=0#msg10409 date=1115846321]
[/quote]

EXACTLY what I was saying to myself while at the dealership. :'(

And for what that little BMW gocart cost you could pick up 2 small block CSs or one big block, and they won't depreciate!!! Rock solid investment.
[/quote]

rvrtrash

And the movie "The Italian Job" had some great driving scenes. (My .02 worth)

Steve

OP
OP
meadowsdk28

meadowsdk28

Yeah, I forgot to mention that part. This poor guy is about to drop $32,000 for this rollerskate! :eek:

Mosesatm

Just think of the GT/CS I could buy for $32,000!!! Have a garage stall all cleaned out and ready to use, too.

My wife saw the Pontiac Solstice on "The Apprentice" a few weeks ago. Brilliant move on Pontiac's part. Now she's hinting that she would like one of those. We all know that men don't take hints well so I'm seeing how long I can ignore the topic. Hey, if she just wants a cute convertible we could get a nicely restored Mustang for that same price. Gotta slowly nudge her that direction.

OP
OP
meadowsdk28

meadowsdk28

OK, so we (me and the soon to be trailtor to the Mustang world...I'm kiddin'...well, a little)are sittign around the office with just a few minutes left and was auguing the merits or lack thereof of the Mini when he comes up with the bright Idea of test driving it. :eek: See, I had printed out this thread and was really pushing the hole rough ride and kness in the chest thing. We get to the dealer. They bend over backwards to let us test drive a "S" model convertible. Stickered at $30,000 it had it all. The saleslady was very knowledgable and as we were going through the semi-private driving range she was in the back seat, hands in the air rollercoaster style, having a blast. That thing will do 140!! I did notice the ride to be a little harsh, however my buddy Mr. "Grinning from ear to ear" didn't seem to mind. Also, MR. "GFETE" is 6'1" and didn't seem to have knee clearance problems. Damn!! All in all, if I had the money, I would have bought one of those dern things at that moment. Thank god I'm usually broke.

ANYWAY!

So as we were leaving I got the creative juices flowing and talked him into going across the street to the Ford dealer (convienient) and test driving a 2005 GT convertible. Ok, sure, sounds good. Get there, tell the guy the situation. His big chance to shine and all. So what does this genius salesman do? Plunges the knife deeper into my chest?

Test drove the Mini, huh? Great car (OK, Salesmanship 101, never insult the competion)

You should check out the Saleen 281, they have one at Alderman Ford, it's about 5 mile down the rode (?!?, are you nuts, we're right here, help me out Brother)

Yeah, that Mini is a sweet ride! (yeah, heard you the first time)

Me to Mr. GFETE "Hey, let's at least look at a converible. Go up to one and it's locked. Mr "Yeah those Mini's are great cars" Ford salesman doesn't offer to unlock or let us test drive anything. Finally we find one non-GT Non- convertible open and he gets in. Oops, remember the cramped leg room in the Mini? Wrong. The crammped leg room turned up in the Mustang (I can't win!!) He had a hard time. I even adjusted the seat all the way back myself. Talk about "NO ROOM AT THE INN!!" So much for my idea. As we were leaving I heard the salesman say something about checking out a Roush Mustang for about $42G, but yeah, those Mini's are hard to beat. :mad:

P

PNewitt

Hey, good try, M28!

Maybe...uh...they make fiberglass '05 Mustang bodies that will fit over Mini?

Funny Story..thanks!!

Paul N.