• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Making the Registry database viewable and searchable

admin

Staff member
Administrator
I'm finally :p getting around to making the web submitted Registry database available to view. (For now this will only include people who have submitted their info using this site. Incorporating earlier info submitted directly to Paul Newitt will take considerably more time.)

My question is what information should everyone be allowed to view? Obviously personal info like phone numbers and addresses will not be shared. But for example, should the City be listed or just State?

I plan to set up the database so you can sort by vehicle characteristics like color, DSO, engine, trans, etc. I also plan on showing the VIN. I know it can be a touchy subject for some, but really it's not much good without the VIN.

How about the rest of the detailed info in the Registry form? Things like wheel covers, exterior and interior options, fog light type, etc. Will people want to be able to search for all cars with a Rear Deck Luggage Rack, or is that just too much detail? Should I just display that info about each car, but not make the details something searchable/sortable?

I'm just trying to get a feel for how people would use the info, which will help me structure the database.

Any thoughts appreciated.

case12

Do we need a searchable registry, or just ability to view it? Since items may be add ons, changes, etc, it may not make sense to search for them. Even color may have changed. Seems just viewing it would suffice. Name and State should be enough for personal info. Maybe put in VIN date order. my two cents. Casey

BroadwayBlue

I was thinking the same thing guys about searching and color changes and all.

If there was a way to search for original and current options that would be great.

Will this be truly searchable via keywords or just be able to filter and sort based on some predetermined criteria.

Rich

Mosesatm

Jon, is it possible to make the data available in a way that we can cut and paste it into our own Excel or Access and do our own sorts?

P

PNewitt

I'm all for an on-line registry, but we have to be careful for security reasons to not divulge names and addresses. On the other side, as SAAC points out, being in a registry helps secure collectible cars.

The production numbers from '68, and the real-world survivors are two different sets of numbers, andthere is no way to know exactly what is out there--outside of who registers. At best--we might get 30% of production registered. So--some of this number crunching may be a moot point. However--I can understand how folks like to know just how rare their CS may be.

I think that in my book the numbers provided (thanks, Casey & others--in advance!), we could show how to do the stastical averages to know what you may have.

Paul N.

OP
OP
admin

admin

Staff member
Administrator
As Paul mentioned we do need to keep in mind that the Registry probably won't be an accurate reflection of production numbers. So even if you can search the online form and see that there are only 5 other cars with your color combination, it won't be a reliable number. I look at the online Registry as more a fun way to see what other cars are registered, and less a tool to determine production.

The reason I don't want to be able to search by absolutely everything is just the time/money it will take to code it. I'm having to pay someone to do this because it's a little over my head. So I don't want to spend money searching obscure options if people won't use it.

I'm not sure about being able to export to excel or similar. I'm guessing not since it's a SQL database.

I hope to have something set up next week.

BroadwayBlue

I agree with your take on it and that's how I would use it also for fun or to see how many might be in the Northeast (depending on how much location info we give out).

Even though it's a SQL database an export to Excel or other spreadsheet type software is definitely easily done.

P

PNewitt

I'd like to "preserve" the list of cars that I have in my book(s), but what could be neat to do here is have owners share info, and leave it up to them as to how much they wish to divulge. This could be something I could promote in my mailing to owners later this summer/fall. Not all know about this website (yet!).

For example, a particular car (VIN) could be documented and updated in this on-line registry as to how it's restoration is coming along, trophies, etc., and if it might be for sale.

This type of registry could be a reflection of what's really out there, and how proud owners could show them off. With the knowledge of the actual numbers (from my registry), folks could share info on their 428CJ "one of 9" cars, or a prime example of a bone-stock 6 cylinder for others to use as a guide for THEIR restoration.

Just my two bits,
Paul N.