• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Cobra Project Update

PFSlim

We are moving along slowly on the cobra project. Thus far, we have undercoated the body and built up the rolled edges on the fender wells. Then, we worked some on the frame by installed the upper and lower control arms, spindles, ran brake lines, and installed brake calipers. After that, we placed the body back on the frame so we could begin body work.

As for body work, I have been busy lately closing gaps at doors, hood and decklid. I am just about done with that and will start laying a fine layer of bondo on the body. After that, we will sand down and start laying the final sandable primer to get ready for paint.

I also have all of my holes cut in the body for front and rear turn signals/tail lights, hood pins, etc.

Lastly, I have ordered my new Canton oil pan for my 390 build. I need to get it over to the engine builder so he can build the engine this winter. Looking foward to having it back.

We have a few things to figure out. The biggest thing is the pedal assy setup. We are on our own to figure out which setup will work with this car as they are no longer making the setup they used to. As well, I have some work to figure out a slave cylinder system for my clutch fork. Not a huge mystery, just takes time.

Paul

Attachments

• DSC00104.JPG
    DSC00104.JPG
    168.4 KB · Views: 43
  • DSC00105.JPG
    DSC00105.JPG
    153.4 KB · Views: 41

Perkchiro

Looking good Paul. Are you putting in a Big or Small block engine? What's your anticipated completion date?

OP
OP
PFSlim

PFSlim

Perk

It is a big block 390 FE. Not chasing horsepower though as it will have Cobra Jet heads (instead of aluminum) and a 4 speed TopLoader. Will dyno but dont expect to exceed 400 HP.

I don't have an expected completion date. Hopefully by this time next year but we will see.

Paul

OP
OP
PFSlim

PFSlim

Cobra Back from Paint

The "Black Pearl" is back from paint. We picked it up a week ago. The weekend before Christmas, we fired the 390 and heard it come to life. Now, the panels are all installed in the fire wall, the body is installed, some electrical is complete.

We are trying to complete before World of Wheels in Feb, but I think it is a stretch since I have to travel most every week between now and then.

Anyway, thought you would enjoy some recent pictures.

Paul

Attachments

• DSC00834.JPG
    DSC00834.JPG
    90.9 KB · Views: 33
  • DSC00835.JPG
    DSC00835.JPG
    89.6 KB · Views: 42

Mustanger

Paul,

I love the Cobra hotrod you're putting together, maybe someday I would love to have something like it ... seeing these pic's also is inspiring me more to get my car painted, I think that this'll be the year I do it finally ... BTW, what are your plans for your motor (390) ... share some details :thumb: ...

OP
OP
PFSlim

PFSlim

Sure. My 390 is freshly built. Bored .40 over. Flat top pistons, 428CJ heads, aluminum intake, Holley 750 carb. The machine shop made a mistake and bored it .40 over instead of .30 over. Bad piece of luck. 390 is a 1969 model.

We also have a Lakewood bellhousing, stock clutch, Willwood slave cylinder, and a 68 David Key (4 speed) Toploader transmission.

This pic does not show the oil cooler installed - but we have it installed now.

Hope that helps.

Paul

Attachments

• DSC00451.JPG
    DSC00451.JPG
    131.3 KB · Views: 43

Scott

Congratulations Paul,

WOW it is really coming together rapidly for you now. Thanks very much for keeping us up to date. I was thinking of you this morning as I came along the shores of botany bay in sydney and passed a cream on blue cobra on my way to work in the special. Yours already trumps most cobras and can't wait to see the trim coming back together. With the go to back up the black pearl show I'm excited we won't have to wait long to see it complete!

Thanks again for the update.
Scott

PS - the red car yours too? similar setup?

OP
OP
PFSlim

PFSlim

That is my brothers red 428 cobra. Yes, it is the same manufacture. Mine is our 3rd cobra in the family. We built a blue Factory Five Cobra for my brother in-law. We all live within 5 blocks from one another. Some folks have called us "The Brotherhood of Snakes". Thought it was cool.

Paul

Attachments

• Cobra.jpg
    Cobra.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_9859.jpg
    IMG_9859.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 33

rvrtrash

The machine shop made a mistake and bored it .40 over instead of .30 over. Bad piece of luck. 390 is a 1969 model.

Paul

Paul, I know some of the 72-73 blocks can be punched out a bunch, but are the walls of a '69 block thick enough? As the owner of a "similar" car, I can tell you that anything that contributes to higher engine temps can really give you problems, because of the confined space and lack of air circulation in the engine compartment. You might want to be thinking about ways to deal with overheating. Email me if you need some ideas.

Steve

Ruppstang

Wow Paul it is really coming together! Love the pictures. I can almost smell that spent fuel. Marty

OP
OP
PFSlim

PFSlim

Steve

I understand what you are saying. According to my engine builder, an FE block can go out to .60 without any issues. Regarding cooling the engine, we have done just about everything we can think of to keep HP out, a good high output electic fan, good thermostat, rejetting the Holley double pumper carb, etc. Running hot is a worry I don't want.

Don't be affraid to send ideas. We may not have thought of everything so give us input!!

Thanks everyone for the kind remarks.

Paul

OP
OP
PFSlim

PFSlim

Lates pictures from Sunday night. Almost ready to start installing carpet in most areas. Front is complete - with exception of hood. Wiring in process.

Paul

Attachments

• DSC00919.JPG
    DSC00919.JPG
    135.5 KB · Views: 40
  • DSC00921.JPG
    DSC00921.JPG
    135.1 KB · Views: 38
  • DSC00920.JPG
    DSC00920.JPG
    132.3 KB · Views: 39
  • DSC00922.JPG
    DSC00922.JPG
    132.8 KB · Views: 42

hookedtrout

forgive me for asking, but what are the two strips in the drives front fender for?

Gary

Looks like reflection from the light tubes above the car. That's my guess anyway. The more I look though the more they look like paint, good question.

Doug

Looks like reflection from the light tubes above the car. That's my guess anyway. The more I look though the more they look like paint, good question.

I've seen strips this; and no I don't know if they are anything more than decoration. They are not a reflections

somethingspecial

Wow, That is one fine looking ride. I always wanted one but I am 6'4" and can't fit in one and put my foot on the clutch pedal. Such is life.

I was reading an article in the Shelby American Magazine which showed a Cobra in flames after a crash in the CalExpo parking lot in Sacramento. The guy was getting foolish and lost control of the car and hit a concrete wall. The guy had the twin electric fuel pumps wired to the ignition direct without a oil pressure cut off and the fire was continuosly fed fuel to the fire. Make sure to install an oil pressure cut off if you are running electric fuel pumps. Just a reminder. Mike

Mustanger

forgive me for asking, but what are the two strips in the drives front fender for?

Gary

I've seen these stips before ... see the pic I attached with the same markings but in a different color :smile: ...

Attachments

• 427-shelby-cobra-replica.jpg
    427-shelby-cobra-replica.jpg
    168.2 KB · Views: 45
OP
OP
PFSlim

PFSlim

Good question. It is no reflection. They are called Team Stripes. When they raced the cobra's, many were the same color combo. Not many different varieties of color choices. Anyway, one time woudl paint them red, one yellow, etc. I thought they looked really cool so I decided to paint them on my car - only toned them down to match the center stripe. They were always on the drivers fender as that is what you would see in LeMan's type racing when the car came by.

That is the cool thing about these cars. You can build them the way that YOU want them - color combo's - interior - wheels - engine - etc.

I have not see alot of cobras that chose to "tone" down the stripe - but have it there for folks to ask about.

Paul

Attachments

• DSC00773.JPG
    DSC00773.JPG
    144.7 KB · Views: 36