• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 GT/CS Book Update from Paul Newitt

case12

Paul asked me to post this here. It is also posted on the SAAC site. Casey

--------------------

For this GT/CS Book update, let me first express my appreciation for the patience of those who have made book reservations and everyone else that has been waiting for this book for so long. I am fortunate to have the interest and support of GT/CS owner, both 1968 and 2007-09. It is from the many years of support that I have worked so hard for so long to bring the story and appreciation of the marque to everyone. There have been many difficult hurdles to jump, including a death in my family a year ago, and the sale of my own GT/CS, to get to this point. But now I'm on the final lap and the light can be seen at the end of the tunnel....

I am in the final weeks of the books' completion. This project has been culminated through five interviews with those who where there in '68; research from over 200 Classic Mustang magazines, many copies of SHELBY AMERICAN magazine, the 1997 SAAC Registry; the gracious assistance and expertise of highly regarded SAAC members and experts; some fine folks at Ford Motor Company, Milpitas and A.O. Smith factory workers; MCA Concours experts as well as other writers of the Mustang genre' (if there was a Master's Degree offered for Mustang History, I think I'd qualify). I've been building the book from five file boxes and seven binders full of registrations and Marti Reports.

It was from the level of curiosity and need for much more information by owners and enthusiasts on this website in the past few years that mandated a completely new book. I couldn't just re-print the old books, since so much has happened since 1989, and there were some stories that needed to be revisited and resolved in greater detail. I am now able to draw a straight time line from Little Red to the GT/Sport Coupe to the day the GT/CS began production at the Milpitas plant. This required a LOT of hard, tedious
work. I was fortunate ot find out exactly how the fiberglass was
manufactured at A.O. Smith, and how many part sets were made and delivered to the Milpitas Plant. I don't want to say much more, because that would spoil the surprise of many hidden "wow factors" I've included for you....

Having said this, I'm still on track for the book's completion in about six weeks or less (then off to the printer). What is unpredictable is getting some final details from a few of my sources, and hoping that they are able ot follow through for me in a timely manner. I want this book to be right and as accurate as possible, to my own high standards, but that doesn't mean that it's an open-ended process. The page count and the layouts are finite, and it's the polishing of the material that is taking time now.

If you're planning a restoration, I made my visit to a local automotive paint store, and found some very interesting things. I finally nailed down the Cougar trim color that Fred Goodell picked for the GT/CS grille color.
It was a corporate Ford accent color. I found the right color for Litle Red (a real surprise!) and the Green Hornet, too. New paint technologies and available colors will greatly help restorers know what to use. The book will show this process. If you ever built an AMT model kit, this will make sense for your "real" Mustang. The flagship Concours-trophy-winning GT/CS in the registry will be the guide for your restoration in the book.

I once said that this is not only "my" book, but that it's "your" book. The process of questions and commentary over the past few years provided me with tons of information and questions that needed to be answered. I have so many owners to thank for their help and guidance about this one Mustang.
The overall effect is something that is so far removed from what is out there on other Mustangs. I can't think of any other Mustang receiving so much scrutiny and curiosity--ever!--and since I've been positioned as the expert, it became "my job" to assimilate all of this into one big, fat book!

When I have the book wrapped up (or close to it), I'll post it right here, and you'll know exactly what is happening. I've had some tell me that I shouldn't explain myself, nor tell the progress, or ask for so much involvement on the net, but I feel that I owe it to the owners to do so.
Being this democratic can provide fodder for criticism, but the process has created a product greater than the sum of it's parts. From as far back as 1985, I have received literally hundreds of wonderful letters from owners that truly love their GT/CS, as well as new owners of the late model cars that are so excited to know that there is a place to share their pride. I prefer to continue the registry on a more personal basis by regular mail, as opposed to strictly internet registration, because a more personal connection is important to me. I've been approached to provide my mailing (and email) list to other national clubs, and have refused, because your privacy and confidence is too important, and always has been since 1985.

I will be sending out a mailing to everyone when the book is complete, and it will include details about the "Mini GT/CS Convention" held at SAAC 35, August 27-29 at Sears Point (No.) California (see SAAC.com)

Thank you again.
You are welcome to email me with your questions or comments anytime through my website: www.pmndesigns.com

Paul M. Newitt
GT/CS Registrar ( 1968, 2007-09, 2011)
P.O. Box 427
Danville, CA 94526

Send SASE for book information.

TraveledGTCS

Another Update on Book via SAAC Site Forum

>>>>>>>

From Paul Newitt

"First my apologies for the delay in posting an update. You'd think that a computer would live past 11 years (!!), but my trusty Mac G3 croaked on April 26th (ironically just when I was working on the '68 Shelby history page--go figure). Both hard drives were sounding like toy chainsaws, so it was time to transfer the data (although I already had three backups of the book and related materials).

Since a replacement computer had to be compliant with Pagemaker 6.5, I bought a G4, and had to backdate the OS from 10.5 to 9.2.1. Not an easy thing to do, and from the hassle of the past two weeks, when the book is done, I'm bailing from my 22 yrs. with Mac to a PC and Windows 7.

During this downtime, I hand wrote what I needed for the book, and did other things, like screen shots of the commercials, and photos of the blueprints. A good analogy of the book's status would be like building a home and the sheetrock is up, and it just needs painting and trim and fixtures.

I have made it a final goal to finish this monster by the end of May, and get it to Ford for a review then the printer immediately after that. I want books in my hands in 6-8 weeks from now. It's looking great!

A couple of news bits: The California Special script lapel pins (about an inch wide) I ordered for customers that made book orders (as a thanks) are on their way. They will be sent out ASAP when I get them (they will be offered for sale to everyone else). Next is the mention of new Marchal 656 Fog lights by National Parts Depot--in the latest issue of Mustang Monthly. Somehow, they goofed and mentioned that the switch to Lucas was on June 26--it's actually April 26th. Lastly, a headcount of the number of cars in my registry is closer to 1200, not the 900 I thought I had. A big thanks to Bob Teets of the HCS Registry for his meticulous search for more GT/CS (and HCS) on the net, and to Jon Hanna for his contributions. I'm beginning to think that there are actually 2500 GT/CSs left out there, not the 1500 I'd previously thought. Cars in the registry will be listed by (last known) owner's name, VIN, data plate info, if I have a copy of the Marti report (or not), and a footnote--if there is more notable info on the car. Photos of most cars will be included on the pages, for the first time in color.

It's back to the book. On the final stretch. More to follow soon...
A sincere thanks to all of you who have supported me and this difficult book project.
A special thanks to those at SAAC who have helped with research ideas and advice.

--Paul M. Newitt

P.S. Next up are the details for GT/CS owners to attend SAAC 35. We are lining up a "GT/CS World Headquarters" visitation trailer at the convention. Parts, Books, advice and other neat stuff."

<<<<<<<<<