• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Hood Stripes

007bluto

Does anyone have a good picture of a GT/CS hood with stripes on it? Also does anyone knoe how wide the stripes were? Thanks Chris..... ::)

BrandonB

look through the gallery there are a few with hood stripes in there.

gopre1969

I too am trying to get the right dimensions on putting on hood stripes.I looked at the pictures on the Gallery and its hard to tell if the paint stops before the turn signal fixture.Does anyone know if it stops there or continues to were the vents are for the turn signals?One more question for all of you,I just noticed the vin # located on my dash by the windshield so does this make two areas that you can find your vin # along with the door panel?Thanks for all your help......Randall

Russ

Randall,

On a 1968 Mustang, the VIN is located in four places: the driver's door warranty plate, the aluminum VIN plate on the lower right side of the windshield, and on the right and left sides of the front, inner fender. The fender stampings cannot be seen unless you take the front fenders off the car.

Since the warranty plate and the aluminum VIN plate are rivited to the car and can be removed, the ONLY way to verify the VIN is to check the stamping on the inner fender, but this is a real pain. If the car has the original engine, a portion of the VIN is stamped on the upper part of the block behind the intake manifold.

Hope this helps, Russ

CJ

According to Paul Newitt's, Recognition Guide & Owner's Manual, First Edition, page 44 is the following...."Two Tone Option Low Gloss Black Paint...Low gloss black hoot paint - Ditzler No. 9295. Note: Two tone hood stripes extend from cowl at windshield to lower part of turn signal insert, including grille. Approx. 13 1/8" wide each. Also used on dealer option Mach l type hood paint scheme, (1969) on 1967-'68 Mustangs."

Good Luck
CJ

gopre1969

Thanks for the replies,you guys are great.Sometimes I feel like I would be lost without this Web-Site......Randall

OP
OP

007bluto

Here's the original Ford layout ;D ::) :p

Attachments

• 68hoodstripes.jpg
    68hoodstripes.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 29
P

PNewitt

It looks like that diagram was a service bulletin by Ford, reproduced in Mustang Monthly.

When I measured a factory-painted hood stripe, the 13 1/8" INCLUDES the curvature of the hood as it shapes into the turn signal grille, etc.

The color I spec'd in the book was one already flattened. I found that color (9295) spec'd the for the '69 Mach 1 hood stripe that I found while researching for the book (spending a half-day looking through old paint books at an auto paint supply store).

It would be good if any owners out there with factory-painted hood stripes could measure them--and answer a question I have--was the turn signal "grille" pained black--or did it remain the body color?

Paul