• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Question about paint/trim code

Mustanglvr

My car has highland green exterior (R) and saddle brown interior(2F). Does anybody know how many, out of the 1,173 hardtop mustangs that had this paint code were california specials? Also my cars exterior has a metal flake and/or metalic paint. Was that an option or maybe it was done during an earlier restoration? Would it have been on the Marti report if it was an option?
Rhonda

Mosesatm

The GT/CS I used to have was Highland Green with a saddle interior. Well, at least some of it was saddle. A previous owner had switched the dash pad and seats over to black so I continued with that theme and changed the entire interior to black. Ah, yes...the good old days hot black vinyl on bare legs after the car sits in the sun all day.

Highland Green is supposed to have metalic in it. If I remember correctly there were 3 different sizes of metallic chips and Highland Green used either the fine or the medium size.

I don't know what the purists think of the idea but it is possible to have your paint supplier substitue the larger metallic chip for any metallic paint if you want a little more sparkle. I used a '78 Dodge green with the larger chip on my car but very few people could tell that it wasn't Highland Green. It just made it a little darker and gave the color more depth.

But be warned that metallics will fade quickly if you don't either bake on the paint or use a good clear coat. And the bigger the chip the faster it'll fade.

68gt390

Rhonda;
My 68 GT still has the original Highland Green paint on it. Ford used a fine grain metal flake for 68. Hope this helps. Many folks when they restore their paint on a 68 Highland Green car make the mistake of using the 67 Moss Green which is a total different type of green.

Don ;)