• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Wanted GT/CS or HCS

GARPh

Hey everyone. I don't know why I didn't do this sooner but I am looking for a nice driver with the following:
AC
PS
PB
V-8
Preferably in one of the rarer colors (Sea Foam Green, Diamond Blue, Brittany Blue, etc) but I might be open to others.

If you have something that might work please let me know. Thanks!

Emily

Ruppstang

That might be a tall order in the color you like. I would find a solid car in a color you like and add the options you want. Good luck Marty

CougarCJ

According to Kevin Marti's Mustang by the Numbers. 1968 Mustang Coupes break down like this.

Raven Black A - 3,158
Pebble Beige 6 - 4,265
Special Paint Code - 5,064
Tahoe Turquoise U - 7,217
Presidential Blue X - 7,839
Brittany Blue Q - 11,008
Royal Maroon B - 12,491
Sea Foam Green O - 12,581
Diamond Blue N - 12,665
Gulfstream Aqua - 16,307
Highland Green R - 17,719
Meadowlark Yellow W - 18,637
Sunlit Gold Y - 19,607
Acapulco Blue D - 19,886
Wimbledon White M - 21,576
Candyapple Red T - 24,843
Lime Gold I - 34,585

This is just a general breakdown of Mustang coupes in 1968. Your choices (in bold) aren't strictly the rarest colors. Are they your favorite colors?

OP
OP
G

GARPh

Wow Cougar- You're right. They are not rare but they are my favorites. It seems most of the California Specials are red, white, gold or green. I am really surprised there weren't more black ones. Just trying to trend to something different (although I like all car colors). Going through the gallery I saw maybe 3 Brittany Blue CS, two sea foam green, and I think 1 diamond blue but I may have overlooked some.

Do you happen to know of any special paint colored California Specials or High Country Specials? How do you get one of the Marti books? I looked but it seemed like they were out of print.

Marty- I am pretty much resigned to having to add options which is okay within reason but I want to stay original as much as possible. I would also like the center console.

Mosesatm

Scott's boss seems to have a copy for sale.
http://www.cougarpartscatalog.com/mbn.html

Wow Cougar- You're right. They are not rare but they are my favorites. It seems most of the California Specials are red, white, gold or green. I am really surprised there weren't more black ones. Just trying to trend to something different (although I like all car colors). Going through the gallery I saw maybe 3 Brittany Blue CS, two sea foam green, and I think 1 diamond blue but I may have overlooked some.

Do you happen to know of any special paint colored California Specials or High Country Specials? How do you get one of the Marti books? I looked but it seemed like they were out of print.

Marty- I am pretty much resigned to having to add options which is okay within reason but I want to stay original as much as possible. I would also like the center console.

gofastguy

According to Kevin Marti's Mustang by the Numbers. 1968 Mustang Coupes break down like this.

Raven Black A - 3,158
Pebble Beige 6 - 4,265
Special Paint Code - 5,064
Tahoe Turquoise U - 7,217
Presidential Blue X - 7,839
Brittany Blue Q - 11,008
Royal Maroon B - 12,491
Sea Foam Green O - 12,581
Diamond Blue N - 12,665
Gulfstream Aqua - 16,307
Highland Green R - 17,719
Meadowlark Yellow W - 18,637
Sunlit Gold Y - 19,607
Acapulco Blue D - 19,886
Wimbledon White M - 21,576
Candyapple Red T - 24,843
Lime Gold I - 34,585

This is just a general breakdown of Mustang coupes in 1968. Your choices (in bold) aren't strictly the rarest colors. Are they your favorite colors?

I am somewhat surprised by these numbers. I never really saw the coupe numbers laid out like this. I would never have thought black to be the rarest '68 coupe color.

Do we have the actual color numbers for the GT/CS cars? I'm betting that someone here does!

CougarCJ

Do we have the actual color numbers for the GT/CS cars? I'm betting that someone here does!

I honestly doubt that the exact number for each color has been sought out from Kevin Marti. That type of search would get very expensive.
Definitely possible, I know the registrar for the Mercury Cougar GT-E's paid for all of the door data plate information for each and every Cougar GT-E. 394 cars in all.

I do not know the cost paid to get the Cougar information, but it did run several thousand dollars in search time from Marti Auto. A similar undertaking would be over 10x for the 4113 GT/CS's.

Mosesatm

If we extrapolate those numbers to the total number of 68 GT/CS and HCS cars (assuming no special paint color cars) these are the rough numbers per paint code. I'm not sure we can assume the same percentages apply so the numbers shown below are most likely totally bogus.

57 Raven Black 1.4%
75 Pebble Beige 1.8%
125 Tahoe Turquoise 3.0%
135 Presidential Blue 3.3%
187 Brittany Blue 4.5%
211 Royal Maroon 5.1%
213 Sea Foam Green 5.2%
215 Diamond Blue 5.2%
275 Gulfstream Aqua 6.7%
298 Highland Green 7.2%
313 Meadowlark Yellow 7.6%
329 Sunlit Gold 8.0%
333 Acapulco Blue 8.1%
361 Wimbledon White 8.8%
415 Candyapple Red 10.1%
576 Lime Gold 14.0%

OP
OP
G

GARPh

I honestly doubt that the exact number for each color has been sought out from Kevin Marti. That type of search would get very expensive.
Definitely possible, I know the registrar for the Mercury Cougar GT-E's paid for all of the door data plate information for each and every Cougar GT-E. 394 cars in all.

I do not know the cost paid to get the Cougar information, but it did run several thousand dollars in search time from Marti Auto. A similar undertaking would be over 10x for the 4113 GT/CS's.

I would be curious to know if the Kevin Marti data is housed in a computer database or is it on paper? It would seem that if it were housed in a database it would be a simple enough query to pull this information back (assuming all the fields are searchable). I've played around with the registry here and its a lot of fun and informative.

CougarCJ

I would be curious to know if the Kevin Marti data is housed in a computer database or is it on paper? It would seem that if it were housed in a database it would be a simple enough query to pull this information back (assuming all the fields are searchable). I've played around with the registry here and its a lot of fun and informative.

I think the answer to your question is both, it is in a database on paper.
VehicleOrderImage1.jpg

Kevin bought the raw information from Ford, when computers were closer in technology to a Model A, than to a modern PC.

franklinair

I wonder what became of the Highland green C/S in Lehigh, FL. If I were looking for a done car, I'd be looking at this one. Priced too high ($25K) or BO, but perhaps negotiable. Has the Marti posted in her gallery: P/S, Factory A/C, console, etc.

Neil

wallace

1968 Brittany Blue 302 4V HCS, Black Vinyl Top, Auto etc

Emily,

Give me a call if you are interested. PS, PB, A/C, Console, AM/FM, Black Hood Stripes. Have thought about selling it but call me to talk.
Wally 785 259 4801. Thanks, Wally