• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Installed the mini tach where the clock goes

390cs68rcode

Took out my clock and installed this mini tach. Got the tach off of Ebay, they guy from Australia. Seems to work pretty well. Forgot to hook up the speedo cable so cannot tell if the RPM's are accurate but they seem pretty close to correct. forgot to zoom so they are a little blurry.

Attachments

• tach1.jpg
    tach1.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 98
  • tach.jpg
    tach.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 96

68gt390

Jason;
You have to remember the FE series motors are not high rpm pieces like the 429 that was developed for NASCAR. They were pretty much built for torque and quick acceleration.

Don

OP
OP
390cs68rcode

390cs68rcode

don

already knew that.

I dog the heck out of mine and it will barely spins past 4000 rpms, it changes gears around this time.

Jayscal

jbsteven said:
a stock 68 390 will not spin past 6k (safely).

Oh I forgot this was on your 390 car. What is redline for your 390? Just curious, I don't rev my 289 over 6000 either, thats the max. Although when I do, both tires spin for a while going into second. I guess I should get a 8 grand tach, so I don't max the guage out. That can't be good for the guage.

PFSlim

Jason

Nice job. As I have said before, we have one and I really like it. I like the location and like the looks of it when in the dark with the instrument panel lights on. Very cool!!

Paul

Jayscal

The only thing to complete this tach change over would be to order a new lense without the hole for the clock adjustment. I am ordering my new lense today.

PFSlim

Jason

Just curious if your lights up using the instrument panel lights? That is what ours does. We had the option of hooking up a light that came with the tach.

Paul

OP
OP
390cs68rcode

390cs68rcode

mine lights up very nicely, I took the blue globe thingys out of the instrument panel so everything is nice and bright. If my upcoming 68 CJ does not have a tach I will add one of these to it. In fact I will probably add this to most of my future cars.

case12

I decided to buy one of these and it arrived today. It looks great and I am eager to get it in. I didnt have a clock, so there is a nice blank place to put it. Any tips before I get started?

I have taken the instrument cluster out of my '66 before. Just a few screws, unhook the speedo, and lift it forward. Same for the '68 too?

Did you choose to connect one side to the fuse block? Casey

PFSlim

Casey

You take the screws out of the instrument cluster. 3 on top, 2 on bottom I believe. Then disconnect your speedo cable and wiring harnesses (2 each). Remove from car.

Remove the faceplate from instrument cluster, lay off to side. Remove 3 or so screws from where clock would be. If you have the same Jeep tach I have, you will have to do alittle work with a air grinder or a dremmel tool to make the tach fit. Mainly, most of the work should be at the top of the hole. Keep doing this until the tach fits in snug. Watch out for wiring harness on back of instrument cluster while doing the grinder work.

Once tach is in, check all light bulbs. I did not remove my blue globes like Jason did but I am sure that would be a good idea. Once ready, assemble back in car. The tach should hook into fuse panel (for power), one ground I think, and one to the motor. Do not use the wire labeled as lights as the instrument lights will be your lights.

If you have any trouble, let me know. I have actually done 2 of these now. Good luck. I think you will really like it!!

Paul

OP
OP
390cs68rcode

390cs68rcode

I did not have to dremel anything, it bolted right up. only one wire is needed and is part of the instrument panel wiring. plug and play.

maybe repaint the needles on the speedo/instruments while the dash is out?

case12

Paul, thanks!

Jason, the instructions say one wire to the negative side of the coil and one wire to ignition power. Did I misunderstand your comment about only one wire needed? Thanks, Casey

OP
OP
390cs68rcode

390cs68rcode

now that you say it yes, mine had that too (was confusing it with the clock). I hope my memory is not going, I am only 35.