• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Green Hornet interior color

Stathy

Could anyone be kind enough to identify the interior color for the Green Hornet pic attached? Most of the articles and posts i have read have called for the interior to be Ivy Gold but when I pull up any other Ivy Gold interior shots on other cars the colors don't come even close to matching.

The color code 6G is a much darker green so I'm starting to wonder if this was a custom made interior.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Cheers.
Stan

Attachments

• Green Hornet c12_0601_14z_musclecar+1968_shelby_green_hornet_prototype+interior.jpg
    Green Hornet c12_0601_14z_musclecar+1968_shelby_green_hornet_prototype+interior.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 55

franklinair

My code reference shows 2G/6G (Ivy Gold). I had a '68 with this color interior, and the seat inserts are (what I would call) a light to medium dark green as the photo shows. The photo shows the Ivy Gold Deluxe Interior,with Parchment trim. But this would be a one-off application, possibly during restoration.
Neil Hoppe

Last edited:
OP
OP
Stathy

Stathy

Neil I wish I had a chance to look at the original door tag. But unfortunately Barrett Jackson probably wouldn't let me close to it :(

I'm starting to wonder if it is the Medium Ivy Gold and Parchment combination which I'm almost positive wasn't offered in 68.

Doesnt the trim look "whiteish"?

There was and ivy gold/white combo offered in the 66 deluxe year. I wonder
if they had the interior built using these colors.

Was your interior exactly like the one in the picture?

thanks for your time.
Stan

franklinair

The quarter trims look like Parchment (almost white), as well as the seat's outer trims, and door panels. The door panel inserts look like the Ivy Gold color. This was a custom/proto type, and some upholstery suppliers will do this to your specs today. Are you shopping this car?!
Neil Hoppe

Last edited:

somethingspecial

Stan, all the color pictures I have seen of the Green Hornet, including the Sept. 06 issue of Hemmings Muscle Machines, show the interior as Ivy Gold. The seat bolsters, Qtr. trim panels, doors, and kick panels are the standard Light Ivy Gold, with Kiwi inserts in the seats, etc. Dark Green carpet and Dark Green Dash Pad. The console is Black. Hope this helps. Mike

OP
OP
Stathy

Stathy

I'll see if i can pull up a vin as I was lucky enough to be given a copy of this car's original build sheet.
If you get a chance to look into it there have been numerous discussions on this car (EXP500, aka The Green Hornet) in these forums. I don't know if you are familiar with it but it was an experimental car which showcased such goodies as independant rear suspension and fuel injection. All housed in a 68 coupe with Shelby refinements.
This is why you see the Shelby console, cobra tag above the glove box, as well as shelby tags on the seatbelts in the picture.

The more i think about it the more i'm starting to beleive that this was a custom interior possibly not original. The carpet appears to be a very dark green. Also it's tough to tell if the dash pad is black or ivy green ( i beleive the ivy green dash was quite dark).

OP
OP
Stathy

Stathy

Stan, all the color pictures I have seen of the Green Hornet, including the Sept. 06 issue of Hemmings Muscle Machines, show the interior as Ivy Gold. The seat bolsters, Qtr. trim panels, doors, and kick panels are the standard Light Ivy Gold, with Kiwi inserts in the seats, etc. Dark Green carpet and Dark Green Dash Pad. The console is Black. Hope this helps. Mike

Mike, the fact that you mention light Ivy gold might explain a lot.
I was trying to find swatch samples and the only one i could find was on TMI's website : http://www.mustangupholstery.com/swatches/68.pdf
It shows 3 shades of Ivy Gold. Do you think the lightest one they show is what the seat bolsters are done in?

Also, you touched up on another point i had made on a later post. I hadn't read your post at the time I wrote it. Thanks for confirming the carpet and dash pad color :smile:

Thanks so much for your time Mike.

Stan

franklinair

Wasn't the car put through an extensive resto? A custom color combo could have been done at that time. I've not seen photos of the car in its original state, so I can't be sure.
Neil Hoppe

Mosesatm

Here is an old post regarding the interior. Paul Newitt helped restore it so he would be the one to respond.

[quote author=Mustanglvr link=board=1;threadid=2363;start=0#msg16440 date=1131582766]
My Highland green GT/CS would have the right exterior color. What color interior did the Green Hornet have? Mine is Saddle brown.
[/quote]
Per Paul's article in 1994 Mustang Monthly about the Green Hornet, the interior was Ivy Gold. Casey

Mark Puls

See this post ....Woodward Dream Cruise Saturday 8/19

Barrett Jackson had it on display at the dream cruise.

Ivy Gold was what it looked like to me and you can kind of see it in the pictures I took and attached.

There were ropes around it but no one was watching the car. I stood right next to it and looked inside.

I wish I would have taken more close up pictures

OP
OP
Stathy

Stathy

Wow Mark you gotta be kidding!!!
Thank you so much for sharing this with me.
I'm sure with all the goodies at the dream cruise it would
have made it very difficult to keep your camera aimed at one
car.

Thanks again.
Cheers.
Stan

P

PNewitt

Hi Stathy,

It sounds like you're wishing to make your own Green Hornet clone?

I did the complete history of the Green Hornet, about 1993-94. it began life as a GT/CS pilot production car in Michigan (VIN 8F01S104288). I have attached a (never before seen) photo of the car while it was owned by Randy Darrow in Michigan. This pic was taken sometime in the mid-1970's. Note the pinto, and all the snow.

When he had it, he drove it to college. They added the Mustang wheels and whitewall tires.

Note that the original color is brighter than what it is today. I have an actual chip of the original paint, before it was repainted. Another "mistake" that latter writers make is about the black vinyl top--which it never had. It was a black sprayed on textured top, added in '68... I've seen these, and dealers did it all the time in the late 1960's. I know of a GT/CS with this type of top.

The door tag had "Special Performance Vehicle" on it, too.

Lots more info in my book about the Green Hornet (and Little Red ,too).

Paul Newitt

Attachments

• ghsnow.jpg
    ghsnow.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 36
OP
OP
Stathy

Stathy

Hi Stathy,

It sounds like you're wishing to make your own Green Hornet clone?

I did the complete history of the Green Hornet, about 1993-94. it began life as a GT/CS pilot production car in Michigan (VIN 8F01S104288). I have attached a (never before seen) photo of the car while it was owned by Randy Darrow in Michigan. This pic was taken sometime in the mid-1970's. Note the pinto, and all the snow.

When he had it, he drove it to college. They added the Mustang wheels and whitewall tires.

Note that the original color is brighter than what it is today. I have an actual chip of the original paint, before it was repainted. Another "mistake" that latter writers make is about the black vinyl top--which it never had. It was a black sprayed on textured top, added in '68... I've seen these, and dealers did it all the time in the late 1960's. I know of a GT/CS with this type of top.

The door tag had "Special Performance Vehicle" on it, too.

Lots more info in my book about the Green Hornet (and Little Red ,too).

Paul Newitt

Hi Paul! I'm quite happy that you jumped onto this thread as I knew you were the resident expert on this beautiful car. Yes, I am building a "tribute"
less the 428CJ and IRS. Those might come later as family life with a wife and 2 girls take up most of my play money :smile:
I'll definately pick up a copy of your book as I love reading everything I can about this car. Weren't you in the process of publishing a new book this year? Sorry if i've missed it.
If you are interested I was lucky enough to have a copy of the green hornets build sheet as well as a letter from Ford stating the authenticity of the car to either Randy or his son back in '88 (don't have the sheets in front of me. I have the sheets at work if anyone would like a fax of them.

By the way Paul, what is your opinion on the interior fabric? The trim to me looks way to light to be Sierra Ivy Gold. Mind you, there only appears to be
one or two clear interior shots floating around and the lighting conditions might skew ones view of the color.

Cheers
Stan

Mustanglvr

Here`s a pic of the interior I had in my computer.

Attachments

• Green_Hornet_Interior_2.jpg
    Green_Hornet_Interior_2.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 31
OP
OP
Stathy

Stathy

I think I might have found the problem. As I stated earlier I thought that maybe the camera was playing tricks. Searching through an older hard drive of mine i found an old shot of the interior (always the same angle)
This one shows a much greener interior.

Have a look

Attachments

• greenhornet3.jpg
    greenhornet3.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 31