• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Front grill install

nfrntau

I installed the front grill and it went in perfectly. I can't figure out if I'm missing something at the top outside corners. There is a mounting tab at the wide grill molding but I don't have anything on the grill that matches to it. Is there supposed to be something on the grill to connect to, or does it just sit loose? I think these photos will help.
Any help is appreciated.
For those wondering, the side stripes went on wonderfully, photos maybe today.
Bill

Attachments

• grill 1.jpg
    grill 1.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 53
  • grill 2.jpg
    grill 2.jpg
    214.6 KB · Views: 52
  • grill 3.jpg
    grill 3.jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 47

franklinair

I have seen various types & sizes of fasteners for this location. Can't say what is absolutely/factory correct. I noticed in one of the photos that a piece of the grill mesh is missing - presumably where a fastener was located, and broke out that small piece.
I've used a #10 screw (mounted from the front) with a slightly large washer to capture the mesh area (to spread the load) with a nut on the screw. Perhaps someone has an undisturbed car that would have the original installation, but in lieu of that I would secure it as simply as possible.

Neil

gtcs1

Hi Bill,

This installation, from factory, came with a clip nut (at least on my car). See pictures of my car with original undisturbed fastener installation (right side shown).

Also there are no visible manufacturer markings on the bolt or clip.

The installation is identical on both left and right sides.

You'll notice that no mesh pieces are missing. You may have to use a large washer to compensate for the piece missing on the right side of your grille, as seen in your picture, ensuring a good contact face with the bolt head.

That should help to clarify it for you.

gtcs1

Attachments

• Graduation Helene Sec 5   juin 2007 007.jpg
    Graduation Helene Sec 5 juin 2007 007.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 52
  • Graduation Helene Sec 5   juin 2007 008.jpg
    Graduation Helene Sec 5 juin 2007 008.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:

6t8-390gt

The photos posted by GTCS1 are very close to correct; however one piece is missing. The screw will come from the backside out and there is a small rectangle piece b/t the screw and the grill. I don't think they are reproduced and difficult to find on parts cars.

I did not have one that was not installed so this is the best I can do. If anyone has some spares I would be interested in buying a couple.

34dt021.jpg

gtcs1

Hi,

Can you try to get a better picture of it, it would be appreciated. I'm surprised since I thought my car came like that. I may have to add it.

Anyone else has low mileage original car that you could get pictures of.

I beleive this set-up must be similar to the non-GT/CS car.

franklinair

I've got some aircraft hardware @ work that I THINK will fit the bill perfectly. Tomorrow I'll photo & post them to see what you think.

Neil

OP
OP
nfrntau

nfrntau

Thanks for the responses. My way is now clear. Neil if your piece fits the Bill (pun intended) I wouldn't mind sending you a buck or two for a stamp and an envelope.
Cheers

Mosesatm

Bill, if you need them before Saturday you can borrow the ones from my aqua car.

I also have some brackets that are similar but 50% longer. Not sure what they are for but they could be cut down to look the same.

Mosesatm

Here's a picture of one from my car. I think it's installed backwards.

Attachments

• Grill Clip.jpg
    Grill Clip.jpg
    163.3 KB · Views: 46

6t8-390gt

Arlie,
That is the correct bracket; and you are correct that it is not installed properly. The bracket should be horizontal and the upper/lower lips should face the grill. The lips prevent the bracket from twisting.

Danny

franklinair

Here's photo of various fasteners, take #8 or #10 S/M screws. Can be painted to whatever color desired. I have 100+/- of each. The top 3 are 'J' type nuts, the bottom ones are simple receptacles.

Neil

(Ignore the first picture, couldn't figure out how to delete it!!):eek:

Last edited: