• The intent of this Restoration Reference forum is to provide a collection of technical, accurate details to help others in their restorations. These Reference Articles can include photos, descriptions, diagrams, part numbers, concours rules, etc.

PLEASE ONLY POST VARIFIED INFORMATION. This is a technical forum and the information needs to be as accurate as possible. Please don't post things you've heard second hand or think you remember reading somewhere.

You may reply to an Article, but only if it serves to give more information or clarify a detail in that Article. These should be a presentation of fact more than a discussion. Off-topic responses will be deleted or moved.

Thanks!
  • Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Grill detailing

390cs68rcode

Here is my grill area that has been painted the correct DDL32930 color. You will notice the wide grill molding, pedestals and grill is painted the DDL32930. The color is almost black with metal flakes in it. The Lucas foglights in the pictures are correct as well except I had not put the correct rubber washer under the pedestal for this picture.

Attachments

• grill1.jpg
    grill1.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 205
  • grill2.jpg
    grill2.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 202

68MustangHCS

I have my pedistals still painted the correct color for both my cars. This paint on your grille appears to be black, and my grille color appears to be a dark grey. I'll post my pictures to compare in a couple days. "NO OFFENSE HERE PLEASE" I think the paint you have on this car was mixed too dark, or the pictures just appear too dark. I bought some cast blast paint and matched it next to the original paint and it's almost an exact match. I have two cars, and they both match the cast blast very closely. Maybe the pictures are just appearing too dark

Last edited:
OP
OP
390cs68rcode

390cs68rcode

I agree it is very dark and almost black. When I first painted the grill I posted this picture. Paul stated the color looked right to him and it is almost black. He also stated the original paint does fade over the years and becomes lighter. The color was mixed by automotivetouchup.com as: Ford 32930

so you had 37 year old painted parts that you found a modern paint that matched it?

I will double check with automotivetouchup.com about the color and post to this thread.

Mosesatm

I agree with Steve. Jason your grille looks darker than any I've seen before. You may have got a bad batch. The '67 wheel paint I use looks like a better match to me.

68MustangHCS

I'll post some close up paint samples of my (4) lucas pedestals...next to my repainted GT/CS HCS grill. You'll see in the photos that it's very close. My pedestals may have faded, but I stripped off a coat of black paint on one set of pedestals and found that the color seems to be the same as the other set. I should have the photo's made and posted Saturday or Sunday.

I used Cast Blast on my Grille. I liked how close it matches my original paint.

Highlander

Hi there; I'm with Steve. Although I'm no expert, I do have a set of NOS pedestals that have never been installed. There finish is closer to that of the cast blast color previously mentioned, and I'm pretty sure they haven't lightened much with their age.

J.R.

OP
OP
390cs68rcode

390cs68rcode

post #3 has the website I got mine from. I called them up and told them that I needed Ford 32930 color code in a spray can. Still have part of a can around here somewhere.

only way to know for sure is to find a NOS pedestal set for sale somewhere or NOS grill pieces.

imdsparky

NOS Lucas pedestals

Hey there Highlander - I was just reading old threads & wanted to ask if you still have the old NOS pedestals for the Lucas light setup. I just bought a CS/GT in Canada over this last month, brought it home Saturday & the Grill & ring are set up with Marshall mounts, but the car originally had the Lucas lights, which I have, but need the mounts, pedestals & Grill. Any help?

Hi there; I'm with Steve. Although I'm no expert, I do have a set of NOS pedestals that have never been installed. There finish is closer to that of the cast blast color previously mentioned, and I'm pretty sure they haven't lightened much with their age.

J.R.