• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 One Less On the Road, RIP - 8R01C147881

mmarsalone

Hey everyone,

It is with sorrow I must post this. Returning home from a jog last Saturday morning, I was rear ended by a Ford Explorer as I was making a right turn on to my street. The impact sent me into a white Ford F250 that was on my street waiting to turn right on to the street I was turning off.

The driver of the F250 said he thought the driver of the Explorer was doing 90 MPH. And he said he had no reason to exaggerate. I'm sure he was do much more than the 35 MPH speed limit.

The pictures pretty much show the damage. The only fiberglass parts left undamaged are the left quarter panel extension and the passenger side scoop. You can see in the rear ward picture how the trunk lid is skewed from the quarter panels. I could not open the trunk. I had to remove the rear seat to get my items out of the trunk.

You can see the roof line dented and crinkled. I was surprised that it would cave like that. When looking at the damage to the top edge of the F250's hood, the driver told me that's what dented my roof. He said I was on two wheels when I hit him. He said I was lucky he was there, or else I would have flipped into the front yard of the corner house.

Besides losing most of the original fiberglass, both quarter panels on this car were original with the date stamps. After impacting the F250, my engine started revving and smoke came from all edges of the hood. I could not put the car in park. So I shut it down as is and jumped over the console and out the passenger door. Looking at the car in the wrecking yard, the compressor clutch was rubbing the radiator shroud. So this car is really twisted now.

I'm settling with Haggerty Insurance and all I can say is they've been great to work with. The car will be going to a salvage yard in Baton Rouge that is part of the Copart network to be auctioned. I'm told you must be a dealer to bid in the auction. Once the auction ends, I would get first right of refusal at the ending price. Although I have neither the time or desire to rebuild this one since so many original parts are now gone, and that's what made this one special.

The irony of it all is that I haven't driven the car much the past year and half. It's been parked in my garage needing a fuel pump. Although not hard to replace, I have three children playing travel soccer and just never had the time to get to it. I replaced it in June, and this was only the forth time I drove the car. Twice just up the street, and twice to go jogging, these past two weekends.

I'm not sure what I'll buy to replace it. I may be looking at something newer, maybe a GT500 vert. But we'll see.

I'll be checking in from time to time, and I'll be selling some of my extra parts.

It's been great to be a part of this great group these many years.

Take care,
Mike

Attachments

• Interior.jpg
    Interior.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 131
  • Matthew and I.jpg
    Matthew and I.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 147
  • Rear Impact.jpg
    Rear Impact.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 144
  • Rear Picture.jpg
    Rear Picture.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 144
  • Truck Impact.jpg
    Truck Impact.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 134
  • Drivers side.jpg
    Drivers side.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 140
  • Door Gap.jpg
    Door Gap.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 135
Last edited:

CougarCJ

That is a real shame Mike, I expect that you were pretty sore the next day?

somethingspecial

Bummer Mike. As long as you are OK, Cars can be replaced. Do you think the car can be repaired, or should I notate in the Registry to watch for VIN switch? Just curious, Is the broken hand from the crash, or from beating the crap out of the errant driver? LOL. I will mark the Registry it was totalled and save the pics. Take care.

mbsf1970

that's awful. A terrible way for you to lose your car. I'm glad to hear you're o.k..
That guy had to be travelling at a high rate for your secondary damage on driver's door to be so extensive....yikes!

admin

Staff member
Administrator
I'm so sorry to hear about the crash Mike. Those pictures make me shudder. Considering the damage on the driver's side I really am surprised that you weren't hurt worse than a broken hand. But very glad to hear it!

stangfan

That is a real shame. Looking at the driver's door, it is amazing that you were not hurt more. I think you got off very lucky (other than the car obviously).

gt/csj4

Mike, I am sorry to hear about the car. All that matters is that your'e ok. What a beauty that car was too. All it takes is a bad decision from one person to impact many.

dalorzo_f

Wow.... you have some good karma to walk away from that! Sad to see, as with the extensive damage it looks like a write off.

If you can get it back there are still many valuable parts on the car, so while looking pretty gone, not a total loss.

To resurrect that one would require some major surgery. Doable, but not much of the original would be left.

What was the idiots excuse for going so fast and driving with their eyes closed?

OP
OP
mmarsalone

mmarsalone

Bummer Mike. As long as you are OK, Cars can be replaced. Do you think the car can be repaired, or should I notate in the Registry to watch for VIN switch? Just curious, Is the broken hand from the crash, or from beating the crap out of the errant driver? LOL. I will mark the Registry it was totalled and save the pics. Take care.

Mike,

I don't think it can be repaired. I'm going to watch the auction site to see what happens with it. At the very least, it will have a salvage title.

Mike

franklinair

I'm afraid there's only retrievable parts value to the car now. I'd even go so far as to remove & destroy the dash VIN tag to prevent any wrongdoing in the future.

Neil

di81977

Sorry about your car. Glad you are ok and hope your hand heals quickly.

David

x-codegtcs

It was a miracle that you are ok!!!

I would think you still have a lot of value in the car just in parts...it might not be worth the hassle to part it out though. You could probably get all the body work done for about $15K or so, but it is up to you...it is a shame.

Mustanger

Mike, I'm sorry to hear about your accident ... I hope and pray that you heal up good, and that you make the best choice for your car ...