• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Smashed Special

robert campbell

Neil is correct on all counts. As far as buried parts such as floor pans, it has been my experience to see a brown primer mostly. The sill plate and door jam areas receive the body color. So some of the body color is present on the floor pans close to sills. Towards the middle of the car there is just primer on the floor pans.

Over the years one of the easiest ways to identify a car that may have been repainted and the door tag altered is to remove the sill plate and lift up the carpet near the sill plate. Most painters mask off near the sill and the original color remains on the floor boards. Not always, but I have seen it many times.

And I bet this would vary from plant to plant like Neil says!

Rob

J_Speegle

Of course if you want to be just like the factory the interior colors were applied before the exterior colors and edges will indicate accordingly.

As mentioned by Neil most use a base of satin black as a base for the original Dark Charcoal Metallic (what Ford called black interiors)

Remember to strip the textured panels first - before painting and apply the black and Charcoal only enough to get full good coverage. IF not you will fill the texture producing a somewhat (or very) smooth finish . Not ahat your looking for,

Not easy - but well worth the effort

OP
OP
S

Scott

Thanks for the tips - think I'll make it shine a bit more than I've got currently then. It is really flat black now so I'll give it another light flick with the same tone, less flat to make it more engine bay satin.

Thanks again for all your help - it is real close!!

Attachments

• IMG_4912.jpg
    IMG_4912.jpg
    235.4 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_4913.jpg
    IMG_4913.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 27
OP
OP
S

Scott

Special again!

Here it is... all together again.

Just a couple of things to be done interior and electrically and I'll try to get some better shots including these bits... exhaust tips next week might be the end of the job - cosmetically that is.

Have a new noise as the gearbox engages that is a vibrating whine? and need to get it checked out - torque converter maybe? It would also appear that the impact has cooked the limited slip of the diff. Pretty sure it is a 2.79 - may I call for opinions on a good middle of the road ratio for a driver?

Many thanks for the suport and advice!

Attachments

• IMG_02551.jpg
    IMG_02551.jpg
    199.2 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_02552.jpg
    IMG_02552.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_02553.jpg
    IMG_02553.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_02554.jpg
    IMG_02554.jpg
    245.8 KB · Views: 16

JohnnyQuest515

I am in the same boat with painting the interior and bought the paint through Virginia Classic Mustang, but haven't tried it out yet.

Randy

JohnnyQuest515

I am changing my rear end to a 3.50 (traction lok) next year, a 3.10 or 3.25 would be a good ratio.

Mine is a 2.75! What a difference it will make...

Randy

OP
OP
S

Scott

Fitted a sun racing tacho yesterday - hose clamped to the steering column! But it was interesting to see that the furthest I've ever revved the engine since rebuild is 4000 RPM! Under hard acceleration it is changing up at only 3.5k from first to second and I'm not game try a hard change to 3rd after the accident.

Insurance company now dragging their heels to cover the power steering pump, diff and gearbox trouble caused in the accident... they're making a decision on monday but I'll go ahead regardless.