• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Rear suspension project

Joes68

I've seen a few discussions/posts about the rear low stance of the mustang and read some of the posts about it here on the site. After some additional research and info, here's what I did and how it turned out:
I put BF Goodrich Radial TAs (225/60R15) on American Racing 15x7 Torque Thrust II wheels. The front suspension is still stock with the exception of new shocks. (Stock replacement shocks, nothing special). On the rear suspension I ordered the 114lb rear leaf springs with an additional 2 inches of arch from Eaton springs. The new rear shocks are the same as the front. I also installed the stock size shackles that came with the install kit from Eaton. The stang looks pretty level with maybe a quarter of an inch higher in the back at most.
It obviously rides a little stiffer but not too bad and I have good clearance to run the larger than stock tires and wheels.
Didn't know if this will help anybody considering changes to their suspensions, but thought I'd pass along the info. If I ever figure out how to reduce the picture sizes, I'll try and post some. Lot's of good pics to post since the original gallery pics were put up.
Ron

coloradoHCS

I may try this approach. I would like to have a little more stance in the back. Did you order the wheels by specifying the model and year or was it a special offset? Mark.

OP
OP
J

Joes68

Mark,
I bought the tires and wheels at the same time. The sales rep at the store ordered the wheels and spoke with American Racing wheel reps to verify the correct offset for the Torque Thrust IIs with the BFG tires for my CS. Any store or catalog that sells the wheels should know (or verify with the manufacturer), the correct offset for the particular wheel/tire set-up you may want for your car. Hope this helps.
Ron

Mosesatm

What does the 114# number mean vs. the 165# or 200# number I see from the Mustang vendors?

PFSlim

Joe

Good information. I do remember discussing this in a past post and I know I posted information about what we did to level our car out (getting rid of negative rake). I think it looks better leveled out, myself.

Paul

OP
OP
J

Joes68

Mosesatm said:
What does the 114# number mean vs. the 165# or 200# number I see from the Mustang vendors?

Arlie,
Not sure what 165# and 200# from the vendors means. I know with Eaton you can get the stock 85lb springs, the 114lb springs and I believe there are 135lb springs that were used on Shelbys. From what I've heard the 135lb springs are very stiff and wouldn't be a good choice for the CS unless it was highly modified. I couldn't imagine that 165 and 200 are spring rates??? That would really be ober the top.
Ron

coloradoHCS

Ron, thanks, I will shop Summit and discount. Also that is correct on the springs, Eaton told me stock 289 Mustangs received the 85 lb springs, Std GT cars got the 114 lb springs and Shelby's received the 135 lb springs. Mike from Eaton said I would not like the Shelby rate springs on a 289 car. He sugested go with the the GT 114lb units at about $200 per set.

Mark.

nfrntau

Does anyone know if the 114# springs are the same as used on cars with the heavy duty suspension package?

OP
OP
J

Joes68

nfrntau said:
Does anyone know if the 114# springs are the same as used on cars with the heavy duty suspension package?

Bill,
I don't know the answer. Maybe somebody else does. My car came with the heavy duty suspension, but the car sure didn't feel like it had heavy duty suspension. Age of the CS probably didn't help the mushy feel the rear end had. The old springs are pretty rusty so I'll have to see if I can find some numbers/info on them.
Ron

rvrtrash

nfrntau said:

Yes, they are. When I replaced my springs I told them I wanted the same ones as the GT suspension and that's what they gave me. Between that and the gas shocks, it sits level and has a little stiffness to it but not enough to compress your spine going over speed bumps. I like them.
Steve

OP
OP
J

Joes68

Hope these resized pics work.

Attachments

• IMG_0318.JPG
    IMG_0318.JPG
    92.8 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_0481.JPG
    IMG_0481.JPG
    109.5 KB · Views: 25
OP
OP
J

Joes68

Hey the resized pics finally came through!! Here's 2 more pics. One before the new rear springs and one after with the change in stance.
Ron

Attachments

• IMG_0327.JPG
    IMG_0327.JPG
    106.3 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0481.JPG
    IMG_0481.JPG
    109.5 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:

Mosesatm

Ron, it looks great. It's nice to be able to see the road, isn't it?!!!

Does Eaton have any kind of no-sag warranty?

OP
OP
J

Joes68

Thanks Jason, I'm considering it.

Joe I'll catch you at Fab Fords already have my entry slip but won't be there until Sun Morning.

Arlie, not sure about the no sag warranty, but with the 2" of additional arch on the 114lb springs, we'll see how they hold up.

Ron