• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Date Code Block And Trans

JK72

I Am Looking For A Date Code Block And Trans For My Cs/gt.can Anyone Give Me Info On Where I Can Start Looking? The Car Is A Cs/gt I Have Owned It For 13 Years. It Is A J Code Car, Were These Cars Vin Coded Blocks? Please Let Me Know Any Books I Can Buy That Will Give Me Codes On These Car. By The Way I Am In San Diego.

Also Looking For A 4 Speed #'s Matching Mustang To Buy.
Anyone Got One For Sale?

rvrtrash

My J code has the VIN code stamped in it. As for the date code, you didn't tell us what code you're looking for but there was a guy from Portland about a month or so ago that had an engine that was a mid-May date. Check the classified section and it'll be there.

Steve

patty.dilabio

vin info

Howdy ! thought i'd pass along some help finding important numbers on your j code.the engine block has several places on it for date codes and normally the vin is stamped on the block behind the intake manifold,between the top two bolts that retain the bellhousing to the engine.if this area is clean,and you have a bright light it should be visible.it is typically 8 digits long,and the last 6 should match the vin plate.the transmission is very hard to read if it is a c4.unless it is out of the car.look for it on the top.if you let us know what you are looking for specifically,we can help you find it.best books are a ford shop manual and hemmings motor news.someone in la mesa sells manuals,and advertises in hemmings all the time.good luck and keep us posted!

J_Speegle

The block your using can be any 68 302 (any model Ford or Merc) if you want to get the closest you can to the original one your car had look for something that was cast about a month to two months before your car was really built (don't go by the date on the door tag)

Casting date is next to the engineering number - above the starter

Hope this helps

case12

We have had parts of these discussions before. For example, on my 289 there are no VIN markings on the back of the block, but I know it is original. Jeff, I presume that judging rules are only looking for the casting dates anyway (this applies to block and heads)? Thx, Casey

J_Speegle

case12 said:
We have had parts of these discussions before. For example, on my 289 there are no VIN markings on the back of the block, but I know it is original.

We often hear this.. I assume by your statement you are the original owner of your car. Since I did not see the older discussions I would guess that someone brought up the fact that it was a Federal requirement to have the VINs stamped

case12 said:
Jeff, I presume that judging rules are only looking for the casting dates anyway (this applies to block and heads)?

Depends on the organization and the class entered. It can often be a very gray (to check or to ignore) area. In my experiance if the judge is checking/counting casting numbers they would also be making sure that the VIN was there, especially on a San Jose car.

case12

Hi Jeff, you have a valid point as I am not the original owner - so I dont really know the block is original. The matter (brought up by myself) has been discussed before, and I thought you could shed some light on it. I felt pretty confident that my engine is stock, and thus the reason I asked the questions. Here is the main thread where this came up once before. Thanks for you inputs. Casey

http://californiaspecial.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1680&highlight=vin+block