• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

AC Cobra Update

PFSlim

I know for most of you, this is not your cup of tea. However, this is our third AC Cobra Replica build and I think it is pretty cool. I just wanted to provide an update on my new project.

First, the the frame has been handbuilt from scratch using original AC Cobra as a template. It is complete and awaiting black powder coating.

The body is almost done. In other words, they have popped the body out of the mold, have set the body on the frame, centered, and then started to work on installing the steel inside the body. Steel is used for support to match the body and frame together. It is hand made as well as each piece is custom fit and welded into place. My car will be one of the first (if not the first) to have a side impact bar which links both sides of the car across the back (behind the roll bars).

We have purcashed a 2003 Ford Explorer IRS. Axles have been cut to lenght and resplined. The frame is made to except this rear end. They used to use Super T-Bird IRS but the axles would not take the high torque.

We also have the toploader 4 spead transmission. It just needs a Hurst Pro Shifter and it will be ready to go.

We are actively looking for either a running 390 or a 390 to build. One way or another, an FE is going in this car.

We hope to have the body and frame home soon. From there, we need to make the frame into a roller with suspension components, steering rack, coil over shocks, etc. As well, we will get started on the body work as we know this will take some time.

I have posted a couple of pictures. Hope they turn out okay.

Paul

Attachments

• DSC00021.jpg
    DSC00021.jpg
    181.9 KB · Views: 25
  • Photo_032808_001.JPG
    Photo_032808_001.JPG
    66.4 KB · Views: 23

Perkchiro

Great project Paul. Looks like it's coming along nicely. I've been considering a Cobra project for some time. There are only a few with S-T-R-E-T-C-H bodies for a guy like me (6'5"). Keep the pictures coming. I may be calling you for advice on a future build

ahainline

I always wanted to do one of these. I just know I dont have the tools or mad skills to pull it off. Guess I will just have to resort to buying one already done lol. And that means I doubt it will ever happen $$$$$

Mustanger

Great project Paul. Looks like it's coming along nicely. I've been considering a Cobra project for some time. There are only a few with S-T-R-E-T-C-H bodies for a guy like me (6'5"). Keep the pictures coming. I may be calling you for advice on a future build

Steve,

Since you're 6'5", do you have any problems fitting into your GT/CS? I also have a tall friend who had trouble getting into my car, and I'm wondering if my front seats need modifying to either a) lower their mounting brackets/system, or b) remove some of the thick seat padding ...

Perkchiro

I can fit in my CS, but it's a real trick. I've thought about buying some extension tracks to allow the seat to go back further. I don't know if you could actually lower the seat since it sits low already. I guess you could take out the seat riser but that would really be a mess and I don't want to tear out sheet metal. Let me know if you come up with any ideas.

OP
OP
PFSlim

PFSlim

I always wanted to do one of these. I just know I dont have the tools or mad skills to pull it off. Guess I will just have to resort to buying one already done lol. And that means I doubt it will ever happen $$$$$

It is a lot of fun to build one and be able to place your hands on each and every part that goes into it. Plus, picking out body colors, engine sizes, transmission, wheels, tires, etc., can be very fun. As well, it makes it "your car".

For this car, we will do everything except the paint. And, we will probably have a 390 built from a guy here local.

Paul