• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

J-code GT Convertible

Mosesatm

I might have the opportunity to purchase a ’68 GT convertible and am wondering what this esteemed group thinks might be a fair price.

Here’s the rundown.

’68 J-code GT
Under 100,000 miles
Auto
9” rear end with 3.25 open gears
Air – Owner added a complete factory setup
Power Steering
PD Brakes
Wheel Arch Moldings
GT wheels with Goodyear Polyglas tires
Deluxe Interior (Black)
Convenience Lights – Owner added
Tilt Steering – Owner added
Maroon with white C-stripe and top
Black hood stripes
Restored 15 years ago with all NOS parts and barely driven since

For me the biggest selling point is that nothing needs to be done to it. The only things I can think of that I’d do would be to put some real tires on it and maybe paint over the black hood stripes.

The current owner really knows Mustangs and his preference for NOS parts may even match Jason’s!!!

BTW, he also has a ’68 Mustang 200kph speedometer and a blank wiper knob for sale if anyone has a use for such things. Maybe our Australian and New Zealand friends?

He is also looking for some parts for a ’68 GT350 he is restoring. He needs a driver’s side horn for a car with AC (I never knew there was a difference between AC and non-AC horns). And he is looking for the correct console gauges. He also wants a pair of 656s but he knows that’s pretty much just a pipe dream.

Sorry about that brief detour. So back to the convertible, anyone have an educated guess on a fair price for such a car?

GTCSMustang

The horns are the same, they just moved the mounting position over to accomodate the lines that go through the radiator support.

Scott

OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

Ah, that makes more sense. So is there an extra unused mounting hole on AC cars?

GTCSMustang

Yep. To the left of the non-air hole. I'd price the convertible at upper teens to mid $20's. Hard to say since I haven't seen it.

Scott

Diesel Donna

Sounds like a beautiful car! I love the color combination.Nani and BJ would look good in the back seat.

68gt390

Mosesatm said:
For me the biggest selling point is that nothing needs to be done to it. The only things I can think of that I’d do would be to put some real tires on it and maybe paint over the black hood stripes.

Arlie;
Your actually thinking of repainting the stripes. I hear the doctor screaming in the background!!!!!!

Don :smile:

OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

No, he's just thinking about the new boat he gets to buy with my money!!!

mmarsalone

GTCSMustang said:
The horns are the same, they just moved the mounting position over to accomodate the lines that go through the radiator support.

Scott
Scott, the driver's side horns are not the same for AC and non AC cars. There is a difference. It's in the mounting bracket. The non AC car's bracket has a small tab to mount in a hole in the radiator support. It also mounts at an angle. The AC horn has a larger flat ridge for the horn to mount to the top of the driver's side condensing unit bracket. The bracket is mounted in the vertiacl position. I need one for my GTCS. I"ve got the correct one on my 67' coupe.

6t8-390gt

Most of the "nice ones" on Ebay have been in the mid 20's to low 30K, not sure if any have sold though.

Let us know what you decide.

390cs68rcode

seems like the guy has good (NOS) taste. price? $23-25k if it truly needs nothing.

BTW I would like the Polyglas tires.

68gt390

390cs68rcode said:
seems like the guy has good (NOS) taste. price? $23-25k if it truly needs nothing.

BTW I would like the Polyglas tires.

Jason;
Can't be for their traction ability. :icon_no: Must be the smoke they make.

Don :grin:

OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

So, is this the correct horn?

Last edited:

mmarsalone

Mosesatm said:
So, is this the correct horn?
Arlie,

I don't think so. Here's a picture of the one on my '67. That one I think is too far inboard also. I'm pretty sure the AC side driver's horn mounts under the bolt that holds the upper condensing coil bracket in place. The bolt to the right of where yours is mounted in your picture. The correct horn's bracket mounts in a vertical position. When mounted in the vertical position, the horn opening is facing downward. If you mount that horn in the right place, the opening will be facing somewhat outboard. That one has a small tab, when mounted in the correct spot for a non AC car, the small tab goes in the hole to the upper right of the mounting bolt to keep the horn in the correct position. Look at your passenger side horn, it will be the opposite of the one I just described. The large tab on the correct horn for an AC car goes above the top edge of the condenser bracket. I have the incorrect one on my CS also. I just don't want to take the one off my '67 and move it. I got tired of looking for a correct one.

Attachments

• DSCN0013 (Medium).JPG
    DSCN0013 (Medium).JPG
    74.5 KB · Views: 21

CougarCJ

He has a Marti Report, and chose not to post it? Big mistake.
I like this highly optioned Mustang convertible. A Marti confirmation of the AM/8-track, and convenience group would be a great selling feature. Shows provenance.

CougarCJ

Now, we're talking. Great options and colors on this car.
98 days behind schedule, due to the UAW strike of 1967. LOL

CougarCJ

Was this car originally supposed to be a 1967?
Order received Aug 30, 1966.
Car serialized Aug 1, 1967.
GTragmarti68.png

robert campbell

Arlie,
What a beautiful car!!! All looks good. Blackout hood should be in the MARTI report. I would leave it, but your choice as to my knowledge it is not original.

Price?? Hard to say these days, but to me $20k to $25k seems reasonable. I bet in about 5 years when the economy comes back, this will look like a steal!! How many are out there?? Not many.

Rob