• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

2007+ 2012 GT California Special - It's confirmed by Ford

admin

Staff member
Administrator
Yes, there will be a 2012 GT/CS. The "2012 Mustang Order Guide" was released by Ford in November and lists the California Special (402A) package. As has been the case with all the late model GT/CS packages, the 2012 model starts as a GT Premium Mustang and is available as a coupe or convertible. The engine is the amazing 5.0L 4V Ti-VCT V-8 (Twin Independent Variable Camshaft Timing). Power numbers are presumably similar to the 2011 5.0 which put out 412 hp and 390 ft-lbs or torque.

The GT/CS package itself seems unchanged from 2011:

2012 California Special Mustang (402A)
• Unique Chrome Billet Grille with Body-color Surround and Tri-Bar Pony Badge (w/o
Fog lamps)
• Unique Side Stripes
• Unique Lower Fascia with Fog lamps
• Unique 19"x8.5" Machined Painted Wheels
• Unique Decklid Badge with name in Faux Gas Cap
• Unique I/P Appliqué Finish Panel
• Unique Door-panel "Carbon" Inserts
• Unique Front and Rear Leather Seats with "Carbon" Inserts
• Premium carpeted front floor mats with embroidered GT/CS logo
• Rear "Diffuser-Style" Lower Fascia
• Pedestal Spoiler
• Decklid Tape Appliqué
• Side Scoops​

One change is the exterior color choices. For the first time the late model GT/CS will be available in Yellow Blaze Metallic. Other color choices for 2012 are Performance White, Black, Ingot Silver, Grabber Glue and Race Red.

Another change appears to be the front grille color and wheels. On the dealer brochure (see attached below) it lists the grille as "Tuxedo Black with body-color surround". For 2011 this was a polished chrome grille, which is also what the Order Guide says. The 2012 CS wheels appear to be the same as 2011, but painted black instead of argent. I guess we'll see when it comes out.

Resources: Ford 2012 Mustang Order Guide

Attachments

• 2012 Mustang Dealer Brochure_Page_5.jpg
    2012 Mustang Dealer Brochure_Page_5.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 252
Last edited:
OP
OP
admin

admin

Staff member
Administrator
Now, now everyone. Be nice please. Let's focus on the cars & the hobby.

I'm curious now what you all think of its continuance. Do some still wish it was produced as a 2007 only? Just curious....
Ditto. What's everyone think about how "limited" this limited edition is getting? Obviously it's a purely economical decision by Ford. It's clearly a popular enough package that it's worth continuing.

But let's not forget that it was the same in 1968. The original California Special package wasn't put together so all of us could have these great collectibles 40+ years down the road. :smile: It was to sell cars, just as it is today.

390cs68rcode

Now, now everyone. Be nice please. Let's focus on the cars & the hobby.

Ditto. What's everyone think about how "limited" this limited edition is getting? Obviously it's a purely economical decision by Ford. It's clearly a popular enough package that it's worth continuing.

But let's not forget that it was the same in 1968. The original California Special package wasn't put together so all of us could have these great collectibles 40+ years down the road. :smile: It was to sell cars, just as it is today.

To me the new CS doesn't have the same specialness as the 68 wheter it is/was a 1 or 10 year thing. 20 years from now I might think differently about the 2000's CS's.

aemoo28

I do NOT like that Ford said "limited production years" for 2007 & 2008, being the anniversary year in 2008. By making them year after year, it makes them more every day-ish and run of the mill like the other GTs.

The best year IMO was 1968.

rvrtrash

I kind of gave my opinion on another thread, but here's the way I see it, and correct me if my history is wrong. The SoCal Ford Dealers came up with the CS to move slow selling coupes off the lots. At that, they planned 5000 cars and couldn't sell that many, even opening them up to other districts. If they had been blowing them out the doors, you can bet they would've made '69's, 70's, etc. Ford is trying to sell cars and they have a popular model on their hands. They may have intended to only make them for two years, but why would any company say, "We're not going to make any more so that 30 years from now they'll be worth more." I think the continued popularity is a good thing, as more people are familiar with the CS name. In the past we've all lamented that our cars aren't worth as much as Shelby's, even though they are much the same cars, and it all comes down to name recognition. Instead of a CS selling for maybe a $1000 over a base coupe, we're pulling in double or triple. I don't view my car as an investment, but it's nice to know I won't get my butt handed to me if I do have to sell it someday. I think a lot of that is due to the new cars, and their popularity. I for one, am OK with Ford making more.

Steve

obwan93001

Like some of us I kind of like that they are still being produced as it keeps the "Mustang GT/CS California Special" name out there which in turn should help keep a healthy interest in it's history and the 1968 models which in theory should help keep the values of the '68 GT/CS up.

Now, I am partial to the '66-'68 Mustangs w/my favorite year being 1968, no surprise there and although my first car was a '69 Mustang coupe I've had a '68 Fastback, an '83 GT, an '84 LX w/HO 5.0 and now my '68 GT/CS I still cannot wrap myself around anything other than a '68. I liked my Fox body Mustangs but hated the composite floorboard material Ford used. W/all the torque of the HO 5.0s in both my '83 and '84 the floorboards always cracked at the seat posts. Now it didn't help that I was a bit over 200lbs back then but still that should not have happened IMO so that left a sour taste in my memory for the Fox bodies. The subsequent SN95 and New Edge body styles reminded me of the Mustang II which I didn't really care for either. The S197 body style does harken back to the '67/'68 models as does the new 2010/2011 body style and those I like and can see possibly owning one someday. If I could have just one of the newer models it would have to be the 2008 GT/CS as that is the ONLY GT/CS tribute IMO. Still not sure why Ford reintroduced it in 2007 instead of 2008 AND why they still make them :confused:, well, like Steve said it is to sell Mustangs. If I had a choice between a new Mustang or another '68 GT/CS or '68 Fastback I'll take both '68s please. :grin: The TV ad for the 2011 Mustang rocks tho!

Them's my 4 pennies.

Oscar

GT100e

I'm glad, for me, that they decided to continue the model for 2012 since I ordered a 2011 and it now becomes a 2012 because I ordered late...I really liked the 07-09 GT/CS at car shows I did even when I had no intentions whatsoever of selling my Centennial Vert but accidents happen... And now I had the chance to get myself a brand new GT/CS, like I said in another thread, I decided on the CS because of the look differences it had from the regular GT's, of course I understand those of you who thought the production would be limited but like other "limited" Ford models or submodels like the Roush BlackJack which I think was supposed to be limited, the owners were disappointed. I bought a car to enjoy the model, looks and special character not really for a long term investment, for an investment I'd look for a 68 which I'd love too...

My two cents

Marco

Last edited:

green56

I wished that they stop making them they could make a different car not to copy the 68 you dont see them copying the 50-51 mercury and that was a hot car back in those days so lets leave the GT/CS at 68 not trying to copying it

CougarCJ

It is just a way to sell cars.
The GT/CS name has just caught on with the masses. I don't mind, it keeps the name out there in every day use. You know, it's that whole trickle down theory for keeping our cars popular and known to the masses.

I wonder why they haven't pushed the Mach1 moniker harder? What about GT-A, Sprint, or High Country Special.
Ford has about used up all of the Shelby names, i.e. KR, Shelby GT, Shelby GT500, Super Snake, Hertz, etc.

Do the new cars say "California Special"? or are they referred to as GT/CS. GT/CS is what I see on the outside.

GT100e

The GT/CS name has just caught on with the masses. I don't mind, it keeps the name out there in every day use. You know, it's that whole trickle down theory for keeping our cars popular and known to the masses.

I wonder why they haven't pushed the Mach1 moniker harder? What about GT-A, Sprint, or High Country Special.
Ford has about used up all of the Shelby names, i.e. KR, Shelby GT, Shelby GT500, Super Snake, Hertz, etc.

Do the new cars say "California Special"? or are they referred to as GT/CS. GT/CS is what I see on the outside.

On the "Faux" gas cap in the back of the car, it says California Special, it should still be on there for the 2012

J.Bart

on the bright side , we won't have to explain what are cars are, as much in the future.
and those that would like to get a 68 cs, should get them now.
the prices are going to go up even further, with the continued exposure.

question: what are the shared components in 2012, with the shelby?
do they still make the shelby gt???

NosAvrenim

+1
I didn't buy my GT/CS as an investment -- I want to drive it. But, if you go look at NADA values for '68 HCS and GT/CS Mustangs with same specs, the GT/CS is valued at nearly $3k more even though the body is the same and the HCS is much more rare. (It was $5.5K over just a GT). Still new to GT/CS valuation, but you have to wonder if the revival of the brand has had an impact on that.

gofastguy

question: what are the shared components in 2012, with the shelby?
do they still make the shelby gt???

I can't think of any Shelby-specific content. The shared components were on the Shelby GT and GT-H cars which haven't been produced since '08. But it's still a real nice package. I especially like the pedestal spoiler and will probably put one on the blaze yellow V6 I am looking at if I decide to get it.

frank s

I'd guess one influence on continuing the GT/CS package is modern communications: if in 1968 you'd been able to sit down in your man-cave and instantly seen the charms of the package and the enthusiasm of the purchasers, it's very likely more of the California Specials would have moved faster and nudged Ford in the direction of continued production.

The onliest regret I have about the GT/CS package is that - as I understand it - ordering it removes some pretty desirable options from the menu. Of course when I got mine there wasn't a Brembo option. Had to do it myself, and mighty glad I did.

OP
OP
admin

admin

Staff member
Administrator
I agree not being able to get the Brembo brakes is a bit odd and probably has frustrated quite a few performance buyers. I'm not sure where the conflict is with the GT/CS package. But other than that and the rear video camera I don't think there are too many other options that the GT/CS can't have.

There are several accessory packages that can't be had, but they mostly include side scoops, stripes or spoilers, which the GT/CS already has. And there are a couple of paint colors you can't get in the GT/CS, like Kona Blue (which is a great color).

GT100e

I think the funniest thing of all is : If you ordered a brand new 2011 GT you could only add the Brembo kit with the manual transmission, not available on automatic GT's.
It means that when you hit the wall with a 412hp car, you push it further with a manual transmission??? Not sure if they changed that for 2012.

J.Bart

a possibility on the brembo's could be that the cal. spec wheels might not work with the big calipers.
and they won't change the rims on the cal spec package
it's a guess, anyway