• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

diff seal

coloradoHCS

I have what appears to be a small seal leak on my diff. If I drop the driveshaft and remove the series of bolts around the rear end what am I in for? Is the gasket fairly easy to replace at this point? Should I use silicone or Permatex in place of the gasket or in addition to the gasket? Thanks for any input, Mark.

rvrtrash

First, make sure the leak is coming from the housing seal, not the pinion seal. If it's the pinion, you're in for a lot more work. If it is the housing, you'll also need to pull the axles out part way. I always put a gasket sealer like Permatex on before I bolt it all together. It's a messy job to change the housing gasket but not terribly difficult.
Steve

OP
OP
C

coloradoHCS

thanks Steve, I will check the pinion seal to make sure the leak is not originating there. Do I pull that flange to get to the back of the pinion nut? Mark.

rvrtrash

If the pinion seal is leaking, you'll need to pull the carrier out (like I described above), and take it to a shop that works on rear ends. Once the seal is replaced, you want to make sure the lash is set correctly and that can only be done with a dial indicator and knowledge of what you're doing. Most shops will replace the crush sleeve when they do this also. If it isn't done correctly, you'll ruin the ring and pinion gears. If you've been thinking of changing your gear ratio, or installing a limited slip, now would be the time to do it.
Steve