• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Lucas Covers

case12

Got a nice pair of Lucas covers from another active member on the site for a good price. I refurbished them and they look great. Just wanted to say thanks to Bish and the others on the site that help out so much! Casey

Attachments

• Lucas_Covers.jpg
    Lucas_Covers.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 20
P

PNewitt

I've always encouraged owners to put these covers on their lights--especially on the Marchal lights, since the lenses are next to impossible to get. Use anything that fits--as a protection. I used to have a set of checkered padded vinyl covers (with elastic on the back) on my Lucas lights, and they looked really '60's-British".

These are the correct period covers by Lucas to use.

Just as a point of "concours info"; you should take these off for shows, since the covers weren't part of the car when it was bought from the dealer...

But! Don't let this keep anyone from not using them. Besides--they look cool, since it makes the grille look completely blacked out.

Paul N.

bish

Casey,
The covers look great!
Thanks for your kind words, I'm glad you are happy with the set.
I do have a set of covers for Marchal lights, they are not cheap if anyone is interested pm me

Perkchiro

Hey Casey: When you refurbished your covers, did you replace the white plastic light holes? Mine were yellowed and brittle. Would white plexiglass work? If you don't mind, let me know how the restoration went on the covers. Thanks.
Steve

mmarsalone

Steve,

I don't think this style cover has plastic in the light hole, it's just a hole. The late styyle had the square, white, plastic window.

Casey, how did you refurb the white lettering? Mine were so bad that I just removed all the white from both covers. So now my grille is really blacked out.

Mike

19HCS68

[quote author=monkey_golf link=board=1;threadid=1739;start=0#msg11136 date=1117733920]
Steve,

I don't think this style cover has plastic in the light hole, it's just a hole. The late styyle had the square, white, plastic window.

Casey, how did you refurb the white lettering? Mine were so bad that I just removed all the white from both covers. So now my grille is really blacked out.

Mike
[/quote]

Mike,

That is not just a hole. It should have a white plastic piece that goes in it.

As far as the lettering question. I would use a white enamel paint marker or brush and white paint. First remove all old paint. Testers model paint is pretty tough and should weather pretty well.

Gary

mmarsalone

Gary,

Thank for the correction. :) I should have checked the Gallery before posting. I guess mine are missing the plastic also.

Mike

19HCS68

Mike,

No correction meant here. Just wanted people that are, or thinking of, restoring these covers to know that it's not just a hole. :)

Gary

OP
OP
case12

case12

As Gary said, there is a plastic eye in the hole. I did not replace mine, and it is a bit yellowed. Bish has redone these before, so he may know how to replace them if you want. Mine are ok enough for me (and are cool looking when you leave your foglights on with the cover on ;)) .

I scrubbed them with "greased lightning" and and tooth brush, and then painted the lettering. The white lettering looks really good now. I used testors white enamel model paint, model paint brush, and I have a steady hand. The lettering is raised, so it is not too hard to do. (Don't paint the word England at the bottom - I dont think it is supposed to be painted).

Thanks again to Bish, and others on this site - the covers look great. Casey

68sunlitgold

The plastic "hole" was placed in the covers as an easier way to see if you had accidently turned your lights on while the covers where on. This way the "hole" would shine if the lights were on.

Doug